News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Sharon CC in Sharon Center, OH renovated by D. Zinkand
« on: February 14, 2024, 08:26:03 PM »
Dave Zinkand after renovation of Ohio’s Sharon...The Sharon Golf Club in northeast Ohio reopened in November 2023 after a two-year renovation from architect Dave Zinkand. Originally designed as a private men’s club in 1967 by George Cobb, the much-admired layout 34 miles south of Cleveland and 17 miles west of Akron featured massive greens and reliably served as a U.S. Open qualifier course. The club engaged Zinkand to soften the sharp edges and link the course features more seamlessly to the surrounding environment.“We reimagined the bunkering to add a rugged, natural appearance to dramatize the landscape and provide strategic options through thoughtful placement,” Zinkand told GolfCourseArchitecture.net. “The opening green was completely relocated and rebuilt, while we also enhanced contouring on the remaining greens to add interest and support for modern putting speeds. All the green surrounds were recontoured to introduce the running game to an extent rarely enjoyed on golf courses in Ohio. Also, all tees were lowered and recontoured to engage with the terrain, improve hole connections and maximize flexibility of tee placements.”
Zinkand also yanked out trees, exposed rock ridgelines, added wetlands and installed 40 acres of native fescues, shrubs and flowers, with a commitment to remove accumulated undergrowth in the years to come. He and his team also improved course flow from a design point of view.
“We also leveraged several weaknesses in the course’s routing, rather than trying to hide from them, resulting in multiple attractive convergence areas that enhance the flow of the golfing experience,” said Zinkand. “As a result, heightened strategic interest and transformative visual impacts greatly magnified the value of capital expenditures incurred by the club.”
Many courses built during the 1945-1970 period have fallen from favor among critics and course ranking pundits, with other design styles now in vogue. Yet, membership is up considerably at Sharon due to the tasteful transformation. Said Zinkand: “Our team and the excellent club staff have transformed this 1960s golf course—built in what many consider the dark ages of golf course architecture—on a sensible budget to accomplish noteworthy results seldom replicated by clubs built in this period.”     
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim_Weiman

Re: Sharon CC in Sharon Center, OH renovated by D. Zinkand
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 09:26:00 AM »
Steve,

When I started at Sohio in the late 1970s, golfers spoke highly of Sharon. It was definitely considered special, but I never saw it back then.

Now that I have moved back to Cleveland perhaps I will. Too bad I couldn’t make a comparison to really understand the work done there.
Tim Weiman

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 04:35:46 PM »
I know that Michael George, who participates here, was a member at Sharon and that Bill McKinley, who has posted on this board in the past, is now the pro there. Perhaps they could provide some insight on the renovation. Sharon has always intrigued me if only because I believe it is the last venue where Arnie tried to go through qualifying after his U.S. Open exemption had run out.

Josh Bills

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 05:14:34 PM »
Here is an aerial from 1969, a couple years after it opened.

DFarron

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 01:45:24 AM »
I know that Michael George, who participates here, was a member at Sharon and that Bill McKinley, who has posted on this board in the past, is now the pro there. Perhaps they could provide some insight on the renovation. Sharon has always intrigued me if only because I believe it is the last venue where Arnie tried to go through qualifying after his U.S. Open exemption had run out.

It was ! Can’t remember the year but I followed Arnold all 18 holes.

They used to have a guest day on Wednesday’s where you’d play then you’d cool your own steak after!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 09:18:03 AM »
Make sure you click to enlarge Josh's image, it's really nice. Have a look at the visible contour especially at the top of the image.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Michael George

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 04:30:23 PM »
Guys:

I am still a member at The Sharon Golf Club and was very involved in the renovation.  In sum, the results have been incredible.  We first renovated the 15th hole, a beautiful par 3, to give the membership a taste of what the renovation could do and to get membership buy in.  We renovated the rest of the golf course over 2 years, shutting down the front 9 one summer and shutting down the back 9 the following year so that the members always had 9 holes to play.  It re-opened last June. 

The best decision that the club made was hiring David Zinkand.  We selected him because of his incredible resume.  He went to Cornell University and received the Dreer Scholarship, following Tom Doak and Gil Hanse with such distinction.  Upon graduation, he went and worked for Coore & Crenshaw, operating a dozer and doing the tough work for many years.  I remember thinking when we selected him - "how many architects went to the best landscape architectural school in the country and, then instead of doing the easy work, went and did dirty work and learn from the best architect of our time.  I can just imagine what his parents were thinking when their Ivy League educated son went to work on a bulldozer!  In sum, I really hope that David gets more opportunities in the future because he really did an amazing job.     

I had Ran to the club and, while I never speak for anyone, I think he was impressed. Unfortunately, the club doesn't want any publicity so it won't get the attention it deserves.

If you are ever in the area, let me know. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:15:51 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bill McKinley

Re: Sharon GC in Sharon Center, OH renovated by D. Zinkand
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 08:28:45 PM »
Guys:

I am still a member at The Sharon Golf Club and was very involved in the renovation.  In sum, the results have been incredible.  We first renovated the 15th hole, a beautiful par 3, to give the membership a taste of what the renovation could do, to get membership buy in and, admittingly, to get to a point where the club couldn't go back.  We renovated the rest of the golf course over 2 years, shutting down the front 9 one summer and shutting down the back 9 the following year so that the members always had 9 holes to play.  It re-opened last June. 

The best decision that the club made was hiring David Zinkand.  We selected him because of his incredible resume.  He went to Cornell University and received the Dreer Scholarship, following Tom Doak and Gil Hanse with such distinction.  Upon graduation, he went and worked for Coore & Crenshaw, operating a dozer and doing the tough work for many years.  I remember thinking when we selected him - "how many architects went to the best landscape architectural school in the country and, then instead of doing the easy work, went to work and learn from one of the two best architects of our time.  I can just imagine what his parents were thinking when their Ivy League educated son went to work on a bulldozer!  In sum, when this project started, I had no ties to David Zinkand, but I really hope that he gets more opportunities in the future because he really did an amazing job.     

I had Ran to the club and, while I never speak for anyone, I think it is safe for me to say that he came away very impressed. Unfortunately, the club doesn't want any publicity so it won't get the attention it deserves.

Very well said Mike!  The golf course is outstanding, very unique for the area and super fun to play.  What David Zinkand did was better than could have been hoped!  11 out of 10!!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 09:01:31 PM »
Guys:

I am still a member at The Sharon Golf Club and was very involved in the renovation.  In sum, the results have been incredible.  We first renovated the 15th hole, a beautiful par 3, to give the membership a taste of what the renovation could do, to get membership buy in and, admittingly, to get to a point where the club couldn't go back.  We renovated the rest of the golf course over 2 years, shutting down the front 9 one summer and shutting down the back 9 the following year so that the members always had 9 holes to play.  It re-opened last June. 

The best decision that the club made was hiring David Zinkand.  We selected him because of his incredible resume.  He went to Cornell University and received the Dreer Scholarship, following Tom Doak and Gil Hanse with such distinction.  Upon graduation, he went and worked for Coore & Crenshaw, operating a dozer and doing the tough work for many years.  I remember thinking when we selected him - "how many architects went to the best landscape architectural school in the country and, then instead of doing the easy work, went to work and learn from one of the two best architects of our time.  I can just imagine what his parents were thinking when their Ivy League educated son went to work on a bulldozer!  In sum, when this project started, I had no ties to David Zinkand, but I really hope that he gets more opportunities in the future because he really did an amazing job.     

I had Ran to the club and, while I never speak for anyone, I think it is safe for me to say that he came away very impressed. Unfortunately, the club doesn't want any publicity so it won't get the attention it deserves.

Michael,

I can relate to your comment about being an Ivy League grad and going to work on a bulldozer.

I doubt either of my parents were thrilled when I went from Princeton to work at The Standard Oil Company. Back then Sohio was a big believer in new hires getting their hand dirty and I sure did!

Nice to hear things worked out for Dave and the club.
Tim Weiman

Billsteele

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 04:24:33 PM »
Michael and Bill-Thanks for your input. I will have to make a better effort to get up there from Columbus.

Michael George

Re: Sharon CC in Sharon Center, OH renovated by D. Zinkand New
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 01:51:21 PM »

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:26:11 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael George

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 02:04:01 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:28:23 PM by Michael George »

Michael George

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 02:25:21 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:28:02 PM by Michael George »

Michael George

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 10:29:52 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:27:20 PM by Michael George »

Michael George

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 09:51:51 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:27:30 PM by Michael George »

Michael George

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 09:40:49 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:27:43 PM by Michael George »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back