News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

MINEHEAD & W SOMERSET GC: 2023-24 Winter Tour
« on: March 12, 2024, 10:00:37 AM »
Minehead is one of the oldest golfing gorunds in England. The club was founded in 1882 with the course built on a sandy rabbit warren between Minehead & Dunster along the Bristol Channel. At the time there were only twenty existing English golf clubs. The original plan called for 12 holes, but Johhny Allen, the Westward Ho! pro, followed a common practice of the day and built 9 holes. The course would be increased to 18 holes just after the turn of the century. Ironically, the original 12 hole idea was probably a good shout. Many of the holes making up the 18 are not on ideal land and stand in stark contrast to the beachside links. The old rabbit warren is fairly flat, but as is usually the case, natural features were put to good use. I expect when the course was built there may have been views toward the highly scenic Exmoor National Park. Since 1962 Butlins largest and popular holiday resort has been a near neigbour of the club with the skyline pavillion looming large.   

The day we visited Minehead there was a steady 20mph easterly wind pounding our swings and grim clouds impeding our eyesight. Needless to say the course played tough, although I don't expect Minehead ever plays easy. Which makes John Fisher's course record 66 in 2018 a feat to make one proud. It is more remarkable that Mr Fisher recorded this score as a 76 year old while playing in the Grant Cup, a major club competition. This round makes F Molinari's Open victory at Carnoustie duirng the same week seem ordinary.   

The opening three holes are good, without being exceptional. At 248 yards the 1st is perhaps Minehead's easiest par 4. Continuing the trek away from the house, the second is punctuated with two large hollows; one centreline and the other shy of the green on the right.

Cutting back toward the house, the straight 3rd plays along a narrow fairway with rough high side left and low side right. Narrow fairways are common around Minehead. In truth, the 5th fairway is about as single file as I have ever experienced. The shared fairway 6th & 7th (holes in opposite directions) is madness. Anyway, back to the third, the fallaway putting surface is one of few surprising greens.

It seems to me that a radical redesign took place in the not too distant past. Holes 4 through 9 cover much heavier ground and look newish. They aren't poor holes per se, but I am not convinced using this land is worth having 18 holes.  That said, despite the crazy width of the fairway, the three-shot 5th is a good hole.

Lets skip to the short 10th which plays to the corner of the property. The green is slightly domed...good hole.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:00:04 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

Re: Maybe MINEHEAD & W SOMERSET GC 1-10
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 12:16:14 PM »
I caught a windless day and thought the course was pretty easy. Especially after driving the first green. 12 holes sounds about right as part of the course gets out of the sandy links into some soggy (as I remember) lowland. My impression was it could be an easy links introduction before tackling more severe links land. But, perhaps had there been wind up that day I would have found it harder and less desirable as a starter.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

Re: MINEHEAD & W SOMERSET GC: 2023-24 Winter Tour 1-10
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 10:59:53 AM »
Minehead Tour Cont

The final eight holes play over more true links, but the space issue remains. The 11th tee is in the far corner of the property. Adjacent is a reminder of WWII.

This par 5 is dead straight, like nearly all the holes. The two tier green is cool.

There is a propensity for tees to be walk backs from the previous green. A sure sign that too much golf is being crammed into the property. Be that as it may, 12 is a testing two-shotter. A view of yet another interesting green, taken from near the 7th green. I will say that the condition of the greens on the links holes is outstanding. Some of the best quality greens I have ever experienced. 

Playing over the 12th green and slanted inward, the 13th is a decent hole. One of the few holes playing toward or away from the beach, the short 14th may be the best hole on the course. The blind green sits on a natural ridge and makes for a difficult target. In hindsight, it makes sense to be play to the front of the green.

About face to the remainder of the final eight holes, the 15th is a more playful hole. The drive plays over a cop to a green tucked into the fold of a ridge.

Heading for home, 16 is a par five that on the day with contrary wind, was reachable in two. The penultimate hole plays over the 16th and holds no great interest. The home hole is bruising par 3 with its green cuddled into the waiting arms of the clubhouse. There is a large dip short of the green which isn't obvious from the tee. I can imagine clubhouse smashing chaos when this hole plays into the wind.

Truth be told, I am not overly keen on Minehead, however, the saving grace is the green fees reflect the design shortfalls. Even so, I am reluctant to suggest folks stop by unless they happen to be very close. 2024

Previous stops on the 2023-24 Winter Tour

Cleeve Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Huntercombe
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32228.0.html

Planned 2023-24 Winter Tour Stops

Westward Ho!
Notts
Goswick
North Berwick
Kilspindie
Renaissance

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

Re: MINEHEAD & W SOMERSET GC: 2023-24 Winter Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 04:01:45 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to report on a course that you weren't that keen on. It's good to push beyond the safe well known choices.

I have stayed next door, but now that the Nieces have grown up we have no reason to return to the locality ;D [size=78%].[/size]

Will make it to Weston Super Mare just up the coast, one of these days.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 07:42:36 PM »

I chose to visit Minehead over Weston Super Mare as the last course on my Buda trip because Sean had reported on wet conditions at Weston.

Looking forward to your report Tony.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 04:30:53 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to report on a course that you weren't that keen on. It's good to push beyond the safe well known choices.

I have stayed next door, but now that the Nieces have grown up we have no reason to return to the locality ;D [size=78%].[/size]

Spangles

You stayed at Butlins?

Let me know when you plan to play WsM. I would like to go back.

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 09:12:52 AM »

Spangles

You stayed at Butlins?

Let me know when you plan to play WsM. I would like to go back.

Ciao

Yep. Other years we took them to the Dordogne, The Edingburgh Festival, Pitlochry and yet Butln's recieved the biggest thanks. I blame thier father for a poor upbringing.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back