News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

San Geronimo GC (Marin County, CA) To Re-Open April 14
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:59:57 PM »
Touchstone Golf will be managing the course for at least 2 more years and possibly an additional 2 years.

http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20180327/NEWS/180329811

http://www.golfsangeronimo.com/

Kevin_Reilly

Re: San Geronimo GC (Marin County, CA) To Re-Open April 14
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:09:34 AM »
Great!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 12:25:23 AM »
Fantastic news - I would have guessed this one would be a goner. I just hope they can figure out a way to save it permanently.

corey miller

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »

Not sure this is the kind of "victory" we should be applauding.  The government wants reclamation of the land and the golfers through their boorish and unacceptable behavior are acting like a bunch of Tea party fanatics.

Evan_Green

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »

Not sure this is the kind of "victory" we should be applauding.  The government wants reclamation of the land and the golfers through their boorish and unacceptable behavior are acting like a bunch of Tea party fanatics.

Please elaborate...what of the golfer's behavior is boorish and unacceptable? (i am not trying to be confrontational, I'm just interested in hearing why you feel this way)
What result would you have preferred?

corey miller

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »

Binzen said the number of Marin residents who want to see the San Geronimo property turned into a park vastly out-number those who want golf there but he said golfers have been “obstreperous, boorish and threatening like a band of thugs.”
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Sounds like tea party activists causing disruption when they "protest".  Or should I say "Trumpers"[/color]

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
Corey -

Have you read thru the prior news articles on how the purchase of the San Geronimo golf course developed?

The actions the Marin County Board of Supes have taken in this affair (committing to spend $8million of public funds with little preparation or planning for what they would actually do with the property) have been questionable, to say the least. I would also question William Binzen's objectivity in this matter and would be very reluctant to take his comments at face value.

DT   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:05:45 PM by David_Tepper »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
I've always felt Marin county has been a terrific example of preserving open space in a crowded place like the Bay area.  They have near countless acres of land that will never be developed.  That's part of why I don't understand why they put the golf course in its cross hairs. A measly 150 or so acres, that is technically also open space with few structures would only be a measly drop in the bucket to "reclaim"

Evan_Green

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
I've always felt Marin county has been a terrific example of preserving open space in a crowded place like the Bay area.  They have near countless acres of land that will never be developed.  That's part of why I don't understand why they put the golf course in its cross hairs. A measly 150 or so acres, that is technically also open space with few structures would only be a measly drop in the bucket to "reclaim"

couldn't agree more Kalen - well said.

corey miller

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »

Sorry Kalen but one of the problems with the Preserve Open Space crowd is that it is a handy way to keep the given communities from becoming integrated. 

The area should become housing for the working poor in the area. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
Corey -

I totally agree that Marin County needs more affordable housing. I sorely question whether San Geronimo is the right place for it. Clearly the Marin Board of Supes and "the Open Space Crowd" have no intention of even considering that option.

DT
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:26:15 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:58:57 AM »

Sorry Kalen but one of the problems with the Preserve Open Space crowd is that it is a handy way to keep the given communities from becoming integrated. 

The area should become housing for the working poor in the area. 

Corey,

community integration has nothing to do with proximity of housing but rather a societal attitude. If integration is so important then it would be better to leave green spaces as green spaces and at the very worst turn some of the area of the golf course into a green recreation area (park in old speech). You don't meet many people in your house.

Jon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »
Corey,

I'm not sure if you were being serious with your last comment.  Given its location, basically away from everything else, that location would be one of the worst spots for affordable housing whose occupants are often heavily dependent on public transportation and having most amenities close by.

P.S.  Like David says, if this is how its being marketed by the Council, then they are worse frauds than I thought....

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »
Corey,

If GCA had AI software to censor false information and “hate” speech before it is even posted (as Facebook has said they’re in the midst of developing) your comments would have never seen the light of the discussion group.  But just know if that ever happens and you are censored I will be the first person standing up to defend you.  On the internet and in broader society the right to free speech does not preclude the right to be ignorant.  But over the years I’ve found the best way for me to get the most out of GCA and maximize my learning experience is to observe and learn from folks that know a lot more than I do on a particular subject, and then chime in only when I have something to offer that is unique and informative.  Often times I’ve wanted to comment on something based on an emotional reaction but then restrain myself if I deem my input isn’t of substantial value to furthering the knowledge and understanding of the group.  Not saying everyone should approach it the same, but you might be well off to give it a shot sometime.

Cheers,

Josh
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

corey miller

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »

Pointing out the problems in of right wing fanaticism is "hate speech".  The article states quite clearly the intimidation coming from the golf community. 

If that is the tactics of those people, I went them to lose and return the land to a better use.

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »
Corey -

The article states that one person claimed there has been "intimidation." Just because one person has made that claim does not make it so.

In fact, IMHO, there is certainly evidence that the interests' of the golf community around San Geronimo have been steamrolled by the "open space crowd" and the Marin Board of Supes, who have been less than forthcoming in how the purchase of the property was handled.

DT 

Evan_Green

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
The bottom line is this is a good golf course in a scenic place with some notable architectural pedigree and its being saved (even if only temporarily). Its one of the few places the public in Marin County can play public golf at a reasonable fee. The land is not being developed and will remain an open space that the public can enjoy. As Kalen states there is tons of protected non developed non golf land in Marin. I still don't see how this can be a bad thing (especially to GCA minded folks)?

Also as David points out the one person claiming the "intimidation" and "boorish behavior" is the guy leading the effort to close the golf course - so I think its hardly an objective opinion. Also I don't see how the use of the land as a public golf course could be anything to be criticized. (e.g. how is turning it into a housing development better environmentally than a golf course?)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:55:29 AM by Evan_Green »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »
Corey, Just out of curiosity, where do you live? Your posts above read like a fist-waving, golf-loathing, uber-leftist without the slightest clue where the course actually exists. Constructing housing for the "working poor," slapping up an isolated residential complex in the middle of a remote valley - 25 curvy-road minutes from San Rafael (like, where the fucking jobs are) - is an idiotic idea only a crazy liberal would buy into.

Let's see, maybe they can work at the Forest Knolls rehab center, or wait tables at Rancho Nicasio (taking the job of a local) - but aside from that, Old St. Mary's Chapel already has a nice lady who cleans the place and waters the flowers during the week.

I find it particularly amusing that ground zero for the Babs Boxer, save the whales, welfare for everybody (except in my little community), self-congratulatory, benefit concert for the homeless (as long as they stay across the GG Bridge in the Tenderloin), aging egalitarian, post-hippy, look-at-me-I-have-an-actual-black-friend (although he is wealthy and went to Stanford), hopelessly insular, guilt-ridden, rich white Democrat ethos zombies, are the same conflicted douchebags who want to rid Marin County of PUBLIC golf like it is a toxic waste dump . . . . . . . but hey, you have to drive right by Meadow Club to get there.

Let's close Meadow Club too! No? Why not? Fairfax is a hippie colony - it reminds me of Paia on Maui . . . . . let's just all hold hands, do a bong hit and raise our consciousness on the plight of the hand-wringing, issue du jour. Oh, that's right, I forgot! Meadow Club may be full of rich, white nimbys - but they can always be counted on to write checks to whatever sanctimonious, hypocritical cause George Soros tells them to. That makes it okay, right? Public golf? Well, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others . . . . .

We have a similar problem here on the Peninsula with the Woodside, horsey horse set - where I was the county golf scribe for a dozen years. All you enviroNazi types come out in force - since most are rich and can show up for weekday morning Board of Sups meetings - and are more than happy to kick in for phony EIR's, using the systemically corrupt Sierra Club as cover. Yeah, you liberals care about the "working poor" alright, as long as they don't bring their guns, drugs and illegitimacy into your neighborhood.

"You're an idealist, and I pity you as I would the village idiot." - Stanley Kubrick

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:42:51 AM by Gib Papazian »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
Huh hmm (clearing throat)... what he said!   ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:47 PM »

A letter to the editor from Binzens
http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20180307/LOCAL1/180309853

seems like a different person
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:49:03 AM by Pete_Pittock »

corey miller

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
Seems like Nancy Binzen is a voice to be listened to when it comes to the environment. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:23:46 AM »

So Corey,

you agree that the USA should not be withdrawing from the 'Paris Accord' then. That does surprise me but it is refreshing to read.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »
Played SG today.  Course was in terrific shape.  Greens still had a bit of sand on them from the spring aeration, but they were in good shape as were the tees and fairways.  Bunkers looked good, but with my precise game I didn't have a chance to test them.

The course expects to get liquor license back in a week or so, so the 19th hole will open.

Re the above comments about open space - visit the course, especially any commentator from out of the area, and see it for yourself.  That area of Marin has nothing but open space, and the golf course itself abuts a couple of long-standing "non nature" areas, including the local school. 

I am hopeful that SG will continue to be open for the use of Marin residents and others.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
The non-golf course "features" that abut a few holes on the course.

https://imgur.com/a/G5on2Dk

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back