News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Amusing APPLEBY GC New
« on: May 25, 2018, 06:35:52 AM »
Sandwiched between the Lakeland Fells and North Pennines is the small town of Appleby which is well known for its Traveller & Gypsy Horse Trading Fair held every June.  Running through town is the River Eden for which the valley is aptly named for this area of Cumbria is God’s country if not God’s Garden. The local golf club is a few miles to the southeast, on Brackenber Moor. The club was founded in 1894 and after moving sites the Willie Fernie designed course was opened in 1903.  Similar to Cleeve Cloud, the course is open to all sorts of human and animal activity. However, the similarity one will notice the most is the vast, sprawling property. The views and golf seem to stretch for an eternity. It should be no surprise this hilly course is exposed to all the elements nature can muster. A glance at the card reveals a course under 6000 yards and without a par 5...refreshing!  Unusually, from the daily tees there are only two holes over 400 yards. For those seeking a more testing challenge, the back tees feature seven holes over 400 yards.  Yes, the short par 4 is highlighted at Appleby and they are a good group of holes even if there isn’t a super star among them, but more on that later.

Willie Fernie won the 1883 Open at Musselburgh and had the misfortune to be runner-up on four occasions. Willie would eventually serve 37 years as the professional for Troon and had a hand in designing some high profile courses including Troon and Turnberry.

The opener is much like the remainder of the course.  There is plenty to look at, but one gets the impression that all can't be seen...this is a common theme at Appleby. Playing uphill over a broken fairway, the hole turns left just about where a good drive will finish if downwind. 

The second is a bit more testing, though not overly so.  One of the sad aspects of many smaller courses dotted around the country is the demise of fairway bunkering. I don't think a single fairway bunker remains at Appleby.

Cutting severely uphill and legging left, the 3rd commences a grand stretch of golf which showcases the property extremely well.  I should also point out the excellent use of scattered gorse for which the sole greenkeeper should be highly commended. 

After a spot of climbing we face the dreaded drop-shot par 3.  I say dreaded because this is not my favourite type of hole.  However, Fernie's take on the theme is very good indeed!  The one thing that is clear is that left is dead.

More evidence of lost bunkers.

Play is from the right.  The reverse shelf (hanging on the hill rather than built into the hill) green is highly entertaining. 

A look at the green and 5th tees from the 5th fairway.  There are some very interesting shaping and earthworks at Appleby which are rudimentary, but visually engaging.

The 5th is named for George Ghyll, I know nothing about the man, but he must have been a good sort.

The safe drive up the left leaves a less than ideal line of approach.  This is often the best sort of architecture, simple and effective.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 02:16:30 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-5
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the remaining holes.
Sole (human) Greenkeeper. The game comes in many forms.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-5 New
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
APPLEBY TOUR CONT

The 6th plays off a ledge tee to a fairway well below.  The fairway runs past a burn left and trees etc right.  A good drive will ease past the tricky area on a sort of land bridge.  The green is the interesting aspect of the hole as it runs away from play...as do a few other greens on the course.

Just to the right of the green I noticed a chap, Colin, repairing a dry stone wall.  I got to talking with Colin and he conveyed that the repair work will outlive him!  We have plenty of dry stone walls in the area I live, but I noticed how much quicker Colin was getting the job done than in my parts.

Moving to the very cool 7th, we play over a stone wall which I am sure Colin repaired at some point in his life.  The shot looks as though a big hitter can reach what appears to be a plateau.   

But no, just another dip and a blind approach to a plateau green awaits the banger. 

Once again gorse is used extremely well....this time, the short cut to a reachable green is well protected, but still doable.

Although, one may choose to hook one around the bend, but the drive must be precise.

The side ends with a decent enough two-shotter. Below is an answer to the debate as to where to place the bunker rake.  At Appleby, the rakes tend to be set away from sand and often one rake will serve a few bunkers in close proximity.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:09:41 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-9
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
Was the terrain firm Sean? I ask this because of the lake in the photo above. Sometimes these upland/moorland courses have soft spots, peaty areas maybe, that can be pretty soft and boggy.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-9 New
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
ATB

Yep, Appleby plays fairly firm.  The turf and grass is very good.  I know you are used to small scale being from Wales, but a lake?   8)

The back nine isn't generally as good as the front, but there are some fine holes and one All-England candidate which out dells Lahinch's Dell! 

Very flat and difficult to judge the distance, the short 10th is a cozy segue into the back nine.

The 430 yards of the 11th is the longest hole on the course and it seems to go on forever.  The green is very interesting not only for the surface, but also for the shaping.

Left of the green.

We revert back to the very short 4 type, of which there are three under 300 yards and one at 305 yards.  I reckon the golf gods were very generous with the 12th as this could easily have been a monster par 3 if a tee was placed beyond the track.   

A really cool fallaway green.

Another very short two-shotter, #13 zig zags its way downhill, the 14th features a fairway which shoves tee shots left. The left tee on the other side of the 13th green looks to be a much easier tee shot.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 04:19:59 AM by Sean_A »

Clyde Johnson

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-13
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
I actually preferred the 8th before they added the gorse, the stronger player (not me) was more inclined to take on the green; finishing to the flanks almost guarantees a four at best, when a restrained drive to hold the hogback fairway (easier said than done) yields a relatively simple bump and run down the skinny green.

Either way, fine hole and fine course!

I'll throw in a bonus shot of the fourth. The little mounds corrupt what would otherwise be the best-suited short and run tee shot:

Sean_A

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-13 New
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:29 AM »
Clyde

Not being a fan of gorse, I very much appreciate the intelligent use of it.  I still think strong players can work around the gorse should they so choose.

APPLEBY TOUR CONT

Next is a par 3 set on Hilton Beck which is so audaciously wonderful that it alone is reason enough to visit Appleby. The many photos of 15 tell the story.

Yep, that is an OOB marker!

There is plenty of room left.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:56:51 AM by Sean_A »

Derek Holland

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-14
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »
What a delightful looking hole! How long does it play? Really enjoying this tour, thanks for posting!

Niall C

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-14
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:53:05 PM »
Sean

Glad you enjoyed Appleby. I have fond memories of it, and as you say that par 3 is a belter.

Niall

Sean_A

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC 1-15 New
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »
Derek

You are welcome.  The 15th is about 160 from the daily tee.

APPLEBY TOUR CONT

The 16th was always going to be a let down after the all-world 15th. Yet, once again a runaway green provides enough interest to keep one's head in the game. 

A look at the hole from 17 tee.

The final par 3 is extremely good. Playing uphill with OOB threatening the right, the 17th is another reason why Appleby's set of short holes is outstanding.

The home hole looks a bit odd from the tee, but once again, the use of gorse is very well done.  There is a large dip just left of the fairway which can cause some grief so challenging the gorse may be worthwhile.  This isn't an outstanding hole by any means, but it does provide a certain satisfaction.

I rarely play golf on my own, but if I keep coming across gems such as Appleby, soloing isn't much of a sacrifice....I enjoyed it that much.  The balance of hills, flat and humpty bumpty terrain is near on perfect.  The moorland turf is very fine, in fact, little ole Appleby was the best conditioned course I saw on this trip.  It should seem like a par of 68 and sub 5600 yards would belie the boundless nature of the property, but the walk is for the most part well conceived to surround the clubhouse and use the available features.  All in all, Appleby delivers a wonderful game of golf and adds to the world of back country English golf.  To top it all off, Appleby is a very easy stop-over for those heading up/down the M6...and the pleasing town with several excellent hotels (including a castle) is worth staying the night.  I am very tempted to give Appleby a star, but I want to see the course again before getting carried away!  Regardless, Appleby shoots into the top 25 of my Happy 100.  2018 

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:19:50 AM by Sean_A »

John Mayhugh

Re: Amusing APPLEBY GC
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »
Sean,Thanks for the photo tour. There seems much to like there. Clyde had mentioned it to me a couple of years ago. Sure wish I had known about it when Buda was at Silloth.

Looking at the scorecard, there are eight par 4s over 400 yards, but then you have the 253 yard 12th. Nice mix.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
"Happy 100". Like the phrase....and Appleby too. Many thanks for the tour.
atb

Tim Leahy

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 02:29:38 AM »
On courses manicured by sheep are you allowed a free drop if your ball winds up in a pile of sheep shite?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 03:46:36 AM »
On courses manicured by sheep are you allowed a free drop if your ball winds up in a pile of sheep shite?

I know what I do in case of divine intervention!

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back