News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cal Seifert

Re: Talk to me about Trinity Forest
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 10:08:47 PM »
Jeff - an honest question, from an average golfer to a very good one:
With firm and fast, isn't it still target golf, only with different targets?
P

Yes but it is much harder to determine how much the ball will roll.  Compared to a soft course where it hits the green and plugs

Dave McCollum

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
What do tour players think of golf courses and GCA?  Just about the best perspective I've heard when Geoff Ogilvy discusses Trinity Forest on the State-of-the-Game podcast. Seemed to be an honest, fair, and somewhat uncomfortable assessment of his peer's views about architecture and venues.  Not sure this link works: 

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2018/5/16/state-of-the-game-77-geoff-ogilvy-on-trinity-forest

jeffwarne

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »
P

I don't know what "target golf" is?
I've heard it used to describe penal golf courses I really detested

as you said, all golf has "targets"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark_Fine

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
Only watched today.  Looks like a nice fun design.  Unfortunately just drive, chip and putt for the big boys.  They are ripping it up but they do that to most golf courses these days.  Not terribly exciting.  Might be more interesting with A LOT of wind. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:28:48 PM by Mark_Fine »

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
P

Yes but it is much harder to determine how much the ball will roll.  Compared to a soft course where it hits the green and plugs

Agreed.  Players have to manage shape, line, and trajectory to hit good shots at TF.  On most tour stops, nah.  Leishman hit a beautiful 9 iron into a green yesterday that only got about 30-40 feet off the ground and released 20-30 yards to a back pin.  Nice to know those guys can play those shots IF THEY ARE ASKED TO......
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Cal Seifert

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:05 PM »
Only watched today.  Looks like a nice fun design.  Unfortunately just drive, chip and putt for the big boys.  They are ripping it up but they do that to most golf courses these days.  Not terribly exciting.  Might be more interesting with A LOT of wind.

Rain sure didn't help.

mike_beene

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
The absence of rough around the greens is very key to me. I went out there Saturday and in 20 minutes saw more variety of Chips and wedge shots than you used to see the whole tournament. Feels like segmented Old Course size greens with run off like TOC in places and Pinehurst. Visually it is more Murfield or Oakmont but it is wide like TOC. It seems like it wouldn't work but it does. Surprisingly the golf fan and social fan both seem to like it. The clubs and buffets were packed and the crowd flow was much easier than other tournaments I have been to.

William_G

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
The absence of rough around the greens is very key to me. I went out there Saturday and in 20 minutes saw more variety of Chips and wedge shots than you used to see the whole tournament. Feels like segmented Old Course size greens with run off like TOC in places and Pinehurst. Visually it is more Murfield or Oakmont but it is wide like TOC. It seems like it wouldn't work but it does. Surprisingly the golf fan and social fan both seem to like it. The clubs and buffets were packed and the crowd flow was much easier than other tournaments I have been to.

the variety of golf shots is the best entertainment, not just bomb, gouge, putt
It's all about the golf!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
It was gratifying to see the core principles at work. The wind on Saturday was all a sportsman could ask for. The firmness combined with that wind made for the least nap inducing PGATour event outside a major in recent memory.

It's obvious to me few viewers will alter their perspective on gca because of this. But, it was still nice to see the purported best, have to think, create and deal with rub of the green.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ira Fishman

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
GCA’s own Zac Blair’s backboard chip yesterday was a thing of beauty.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »
Congrats to Zac on a respectable finish. For those on this site who bemoan the existence of the PGA Tour I wish you would all take the time to follow a guy like Zac week to week on tour. Despite Zac's efforts this week he did not move the needle on his Fed Ex Cup standings. I am simply astonished at the pressure these guys are under. No matter what you think about how far these guys hit the ball or how they decide to execute a given shot the fact that anyone can dominate this game over a lifetime is one of the greatest athletic and mental feats in sports and or business.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »
Question: how did the Media (CBS & Sir Nick) reviewed the design and commented on the design?
1. It was almost as if Bill Coore did not exist.  Yes. I realize that they have to play to the more household name, but my impression is that through the years, Coore is the more 'senior partner' of the team and a lot of very capable people work for them and contribute a lot.  No mention of that.
2. Small amount of comment on the zoysia turf grass strain
3. Some positive comment on the Super
4. It struck me as a course that could be maintained with fewer chemical inputs.  It also seemed that there was a single mowing height.

Last observation: The holes at the perimeters of the property are in contrast to the thick dense forest  ... it seemed jarring & uncomfortable to me.  Not much of an effort to transition the 2 landscapes.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ira Fishman

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:42 PM »
Congrats to Zac on a respectable finish. For those on this site who bemoan the existence of the PGA Tour I wish you would all take the time to follow a guy like Zac week to week on tour. Despite Zac's efforts this week he did not move the needle on his Fed Ex Cup standings. I am simply astonished at the pressure these guys are under. No matter what you think about how far these guys hit the ball or how they decide to execute a given shot the fact that anyone can dominate this game over a lifetime is one of the greatest athletic and mental feats in sports and or business.

Plus 1. In history of PGA Tour, only 37 players have won 20 or more tournaments. Mr. Crenshaw won 19, and he properly is considered one of the all time greats.

Ira

mike_beene

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »
Carl, I don't think you can transition. All those trees are a few feet down from the built up dump and are in the flood plain. Even if you cut them back it would still be a thick backdrop . And the course needed all the dump area so not much room.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
Did you know that Trinity Forest is a public/private partnership?

Do you know that 25% of the rounds have to be by non-members? I wonder if PGA Tour players counts as non-members.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2018/05/31/new-city-owned-trinity-forest-golf-club-public-private-see-can-get

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
Just spent four days playing one of the Trans-Miss tournaments at Trinity Forest. Anyone want to chat about it?

Note: nines have been reversed from the GCA profile. View from the clubhouse patio

Par 3 #3, #15 on the right

#2/#12 double green

#4 green/#5 tee

#6 and #14 greens
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:32:58 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Will Thrasher

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2022, 06:06:31 PM »
Just spent four days playing one of the Trans-Miss tournaments at Trinity Forest. Anyone want to chat about it?

Note: nines have been reversed from the GCA profile. View from the clubhouse patio

Par 3 #3, #15 on the right

#2/#12 double green

#4 green/#5 tee

#6 and #14 greens

Great pics. Looking firm and fast. Shame the tour doesn't stop there anymore.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2022, 06:38:27 PM »
Great pics. Looking firm and fast. Shame the tour doesn't stop there anymore.

Yeah, conditions were awesome. The greens weren't crazy hard, but I still only repaired a handful of pitch marks in 4 rounds. Hardest course I've tried to photograph though. So flat and open. Panoramas are the only way to do it!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2022, 07:15:21 PM »
It's too much to ask, Matt, but if you're ever so inclined I think many of us would much enjoy and learn from an 18 hole 'review' of TF entitled: "Perspectives from the Edge -- A Good Player Tackles a C&C design under Tournament Conditions".

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2022, 09:09:38 PM »
It's too much to ask, Matt, but if you're ever so inclined I think many of us would much enjoy and learn from an 18 hole 'review' of TF entitled: "Perspectives from the Edge -- A Good Player Tackles a C&C design under Tournament Conditions".

Well shoot, as long as you've done the hard part already...

Actually I wouldn't mind doing that at all. Kind of a nice way to summarize my own thoughts on a relevant course.

JMEvensky

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »
Same request as Peter--I'd rather hear how a golf course plays to a good player than see a lot of random photos.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back