News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

to 27 holes. Will open 9 new holes later this year. Course is located in a Del Webb "active adult" community in the Far West Valley in the Phoenix area:

http://news.schmidt-curley.com/Newsletter/Volume14/?page=16
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:06:53 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Petersen

Re: Copper Canyon GC ( Schmidt-Curley) in Buckeye, AZ expands...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »
to 27 holes. Will open 9 new holes later this year. Course is located in a Del Webb "active adult" community in the Far West Valley in the Phoenix area:

http://news.schmidt-curley.com/Newsletter/Volume14/?page=16

I'd heard they were building over on the south side of the road from a couple people who live way out there.

That's nice land on that side of Bell. Interesting re-numbering of the current course. The current front nine looks like it becomes the alt-nine, which is just as well, i suppose as it's the less interesting nine currently. Copper Canyon is quite good for retirement community golf and ho hum at best by any other standard.

The addition of the new 17th hole on the north side helps to eliminate some of the awkwardness of the holes stuck on that north plot of land, but you've still got a long drive from what will now be 13 to 14 and 14-16 are just not very good holes, as I recall.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »
Great .... !  My parents winter in Sun City West so maybe get out there this winter on a thanksgiving holiday visit.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »
Great .... !  My parents winter in Sun City West so maybe get out there this winter on a thanksgiving holiday visit.

Jeff,

It's a lot better than anything at Sun City West proper. It's better than Corte Bella and the courses at Sun City Grand, but not by a huge margin.

It's not as good as Vistancia or Verrado or Estrella. (But that's not fair, because those aren't retirement community courses.)

It's much better than anything at Pebble Creek.

But if you're visiting your parents in Sun City West, you're either going with your dad in his golf cart, in which case ... play Hillcrest, at least it's a core golf course where you're not aiming between houses all day. Or, if you're sneaking away to play somewhere else (but staying in the west valley) play somewhere better than anything attached to a Sun City community.

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »

It's not as good as Vistancia or Verrado or Estrella. (But that's not fair, because those aren't retirement community courses.)

I think Verrado is actually a 55+ community. At least part of it. Those courses are really good though, especially for AZ, and for the price. if in fact it is a retirement community, you wouldn't know it from those courses.
https://www.verrado.com/victory/

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:01:28 AM »
Victory at Verrado is the " active adult" community within Verrado. All residents of the entire community can purchase an annual membership for both courses:
http://www.verradogolfclub.com/wp-content/uploads/VerradoGolfClub-MembershipInformation2017-18.pdf

Public play is permitted.

In my opinion, Falcon Dunes, the Luke AFB course, is the best of all courses in the West Valley. Access is restricted to retired and active military, retired federal employees and retired police and firemen and guests.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »

Jeff,

It's a lot better than anything at Sun City West proper. It's better than Corte Bella and the courses at Sun City Grand, but not by a huge margin.

It's much better than anything at Pebble Creek.

But if you're visiting your parents in Sun City West, you're either going with your dad in his golf cart, in which case ... play Hillcrest, at least it's a core golf course where you're not aiming between houses all day. Or, if you're sneaking away to play somewhere else (but staying in the west valley) play somewhere better than anything attached to a Sun City community.

I'm cracking up because my dad does have his golf cart and thinks he is in heaven being able to drive to any course he wants!  Low bar for happiness as he likes any course almost.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »
Victory at Verrado is the " active adult" community within Verrado. All residents of the entire community can purchase an annual membership for both courses:
http://www.verradogolfclub.com/wp-content/uploads/VerradoGolfClub-MembershipInformation2017-18.pdf

Public play is permitted.

In my opinion, Falcon Dunes, the Luke AFB course, is the best of all courses in the West Valley. Access is restricted to retired and active military, retired federal employees and retired police and firemen and guests.

I like Falcon Dunes, but I wouldn't put it over wither course at Verrado or Vistancia (or Blackstone, which is private). Pretty even with Estrella, I suppose.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back