News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Bill McBride Memorial in St Andrews
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2022, 07:07:54 PM »

Bill's son, David, is a friend. He came over to St A last year with a bunch of his buds. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time for a round at Ladybank, but we did manage to get together for their TOC round. It was a bloody marvellous day, with lots of very happy memories and thoughts of his wonderful father. David, as you’ll see, is the apple that didn’t fall very far from the tree.

This is what it’s all about,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2022, 08:01:01 PM »
FBD,

Wonderful. Thank you for that. Certainly a good reminder of perspective.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2022, 12:35:24 PM »
Came across this today, Inside stories from The Dunvegan Hotel in St. Andrews (Golf’s most famous pub):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2mO6HwxMk

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2022, 01:10:42 PM »
Donal - Thanks for sharing that! It's easy to see why Bill loved Sheena and the Dunvegan so much. I'm so glad Sheena accepted our request to place Bill's ashes above the bar. I hope all our friends will stop in when they are visiting St Andrews and express their appreciation to the proprietors.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2022, 03:47:29 PM »
Bill was resting but not peacefully last week. Nicky and I passed Dunvegan around 10.15pm on Thursday just as round one was finishing. The pub was naturally rammed, rammed and the entire place was belting out Sweet Caroline. What a place!
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2023, 02:30:18 PM »
I was in St Andrews August 2022 with a group of friends from South Carolina. We stopped into the Dunvegan and made a toast to our friend Bill.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2023, 02:38:16 PM »
Bump... just wanted to remind anyone planning a visit to St. Andrews in 2023... drop into the Dunvegan and have a wee dram of Balvenie Doublewood in honor of Bill. Post a photo.

Gone, but not forgotten.

My friend, Mark Phillips, was in the Dunvegen a while back and sent this photo of his tribute to Bill. Thanks, Mark!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2023, 02:42:24 PM »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2023, 04:06:18 PM »
5 Years already. Unbelievable.
Happy/Sad,
F.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2023, 06:16:33 PM »
5 Years already. Unbelievable.
Happy/Sad,
F.

Indeed.   :-\
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2023, 06:08:32 PM »
Enjoyed a small libation in the Dunvegan on Monday with Pete Buczkowski and his family before 18 holes around the Himalayas. We gave the ‘casket’ a light clean and dusting and took a few photos. I hope Pete won’t mind if I share:

This is what it’s all about.
F.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 06:10:07 PM by Marty Bonnar »

ward peyronnin

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2023, 03:10:30 PM »
Thanks Marty
BTW I did reserve a wee bit of Uncle Billy and sprinkled him in a bunker on TOC I wiill not name but he will be forever drifting around St Andrews !!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John_Cullum

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2023, 03:24:41 PM »
Thanks Marty
BTW I did reserve a wee bit of Uncle Billy and sprinkled him in a bunker on TOC I wiill not name but he will be forever drifting around St Andrews !!

So long as it wasn't Hell
Raynor was a hack

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2023, 03:26:13 PM »
Thanks Marty
Ward,
As he is at Bandon Dunes.  A couple of my friends dropped by the Dunvegan and toasted Bill for me last summer.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2023, 02:44:29 PM »
Sean Arble and his mates Poolie (on the left) and Neil (on the right) stopped into the Dunvegan recently and made a toast to ACE McBride.

If you visit St Andrews please stop into the Dunvegan and ask to make a toast. It's a great tribute to one of the best of us.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 02:49:22 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2023, 07:46:31 PM »
Cheers Whitty. It occurred to me that maybe we should organise another toast during the Walker Cup?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2023, 01:32:00 PM »
GCA.com legend David Greene dropped into the Dunvegan for a toast:

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2023, 01:38:15 PM »
Walker Cup Wanderers (from right to left) Ward Peyronnin, Michael Whitaker and Sean Arble toast "Ace" McBride with the help of Gill Broome, one of the Dunvegan's new Canadian owners:

Mike Hendren

« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2023, 11:49:04 AM »
Whitty, thanks for the pic - that sums up this site in a nutshell.  Is The Big Ward making a surprise visit to Buda?  See you shortly. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back