News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: 23 May - Bill McBride Memorial in St Andrews
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2019, 07:44:14 PM »
Bump... just wanted to remind anyone visiting St. Andrews to drop into the Dunvegan and have a wee dram of Balvenie Doublewood in honor of Bill.

Gone, but not forgotten. 
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2019, 03:36:20 AM »
Bump... just wanted to remind anyone visiting St. Andrews to drop into the Dunvegan and have a wee dram of Balvenie Doublewood in honor of Bill.

Gone, but not forgotten.

Blimey a year has gone by quickly RIP Bill gone but never forgotten one of the larger than life characters of the world of GCA.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2019, 06:22:17 AM »

Gone, but not forgotten.

Blimey a year has gone by quickly RIP Bill gone but never forgotten one of the larger than life characters of the world of GCA.

Indeed.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2019, 06:45:02 AM »
Damn!

I was in St Andrews yesterday and didn’t realise the significance of the time of year.

I never met Bill but viewed him as a friend.

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2019, 06:52:19 AM »

This made me smile. Thanks, Duncan.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2019, 07:58:05 AM »
Damn!

I was in St Andrews yesterday and didn’t realise the significance of the time of year.

Don’t worry. I’ll make up for you with a large one the next time I’m in St A!
Miss my Uncle Bill...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »
A group of friends from my regular Wednesday game at the Furman University Golf Club visited St Andrews recently. They have heard all my stories about Bill McBride and the GCA.com tribe (too many times, I'm sure). In any case, they dropped into the Dunvegan and raised a toast to our good friend "Ace."

Please remember to "visit" Bill if you are in St Andrews. He would appreciate it!  ;)

PS - And post a photo here of your visit!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Pete_Pittock

Re: Bill McBride Memorial in St Andrews
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »

Michael,
I thought you were going to suggest there was enough room in the Balvenie Doublewood container for some of Rihc.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
Was just at the Dunvegan. Did not get a picture though. Damn.
Mr Hurricane

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks, Jim. Next time!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2019, 08:11:35 AM »
David Tepper dropped in to the Dunvegan this past week to make a toast to "Ace" and sent this photo.

Be sure to have a wee dram of Balvenie Doublewood with Bill if you are in St Andrews.

John Cowden

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, Mike.  I’ll ‘’visit” Bill with a Balvenie two weeks hence. 

Ps:  Trusting your beach house is safe and secure....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »
Bump... just wanted to remind anyone planning a visit to St. Andrews in 2020... drop into the Dunvegan and have a wee dram of Balvenie Doublewood in honor of Bill. Post a photo.

Gone, but not forgotten.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »
I don't know how many GCAers subscribe to "The Golfer's Journal," which is a beautiful quarterly magazine that is $20 per issue but there is an article I wanted to bring to your attention.  The article is about the Dunvegan and has some wonderful photos including one of the memorial Bill McBride bottle of Balvenie.  It really makes you feel good that a photographer felt that our memorial to our great friend was significant enough to be part of a story about the Dunvegan. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2020, 06:23:12 PM »
❤️
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2020, 02:49:28 AM »
 8)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2020, 04:40:35 AM »
Brilliant - Bill was highly regarded by most of us. He was so welcoming and full of life despite his ailments.

This will always give me a reminder once in St Andrews go to the Dunvegan and drink to Bill - will have it despite my dislike for whisky!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2021, 02:47:36 PM »
I was in St Andrews today and stopped by the Dunvegan to make a Balvenie Doublewood toast to our good friend.

Now that travel is beginning to open up a bit please remember to stop in and have a wee dram of Balvenie in Bill’s honor. You’ll be glad you did!

😎

JLahrman

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »

I'm unlikely to get to St. Andrews anytime soon.

And I'm not a Scotch drinker, but I've been trying to build up the Lahrman Family Liquor Cabinet a bit. I figured it needed a bottle of Scotch, so I bought a fifth of Balvenie Doublewood for no other reason than that's what y'all drink for Ace. So when I get around to having a dram, Balvenie Doublewood is what it will be. My living room isn't exactly the Dunvegan but it will have to do!

Steve Lang

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2021, 11:38:49 PM »
 8)  Mike,
Though we're about 3468 miles from St Andrews, we'll offer a toast to Bill and our last memories with him at his beloved PCC.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2021, 04:08:22 PM »
Speaking of Balvenie, this video of Anthony Bourdain's visit to the distillery in Dufftown is a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9jgvhjiUY
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 04:32:59 PM by David_Tepper »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2021, 11:45:39 PM »
Watching "Day After Tomorrow" sci-fi/climate change movie. As the Scottish research station goes dark they toast with Bill's scotch of choice. And remember Bill is watching from the back tees of Bandon Dunes #3, close to the Pacific Dunes parking lot.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2022, 02:32:06 PM »
Bringing up an old friend, who is watching and smiling. Fond memories of dinner and drinks, and paging through a Nash book in the R&A Clubhouse, arranged by Mr. Bob Huntley.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:37:48 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2022, 05:42:00 PM »
Pete,

I was in St Andrews on Friday for the Open and stopped in the Dunvagen to say “Hello” to Bill.

Great memories. Miss him dearly.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2022, 06:01:53 PM »
What a wonderful presence Bill was on here -- somehow he managed to make everyone feel better, and good about themselves.
It's so right that Michael and so many others remember him, especially during visits at St Andrews.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back