News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Bill McBride Memorial in St Andrews
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
Everyone is invited to gather at the Dunvegan in St Andrews around 5pm on the 23rd of May for a toast (or toasts) to Bill McBride.  A good number of us will be in the St Andrews area leading up to the Buda Cup.

Bill loved the Dunvegan and often spoke of it as his favorite non-golfing location in St Andrews. Bill's wife has given us a small container of Bill's ashes (which will permanently "reside" in St Andrews) and we will be sharing memories of our good friend.

First round of Doublewood is on me!!!

Hope you can join us for the fellowship.

Michael Whitaker
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:34:11 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

Re: 23 May - Bill McBride Memorial in St Andrews
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
Oops Wrong thread. Wish I could be there!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:44:50 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
PS - there will also be a remembrance of Bill at the Buda while we are in the Highlands. If you can't make it to St Andrews maybe we will see you there!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
Michael, Wardo, et al -

You guys have planned some very thoughtful remembrances to Bill.  Kudos to you.

Are there plans for a Dixie Cup this fall?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
Are there plans for a Dixie Cup this fall?
We are trying to pull something together that will be attractive. As soon as we have some news we will post it on GCA. Thanks for asking!!!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
Mike,
I'll be there unless I have to work that night. Otherwise, I'll see you all somehow.
Brilliant idea, most fitting for the auld fella.
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »
Marty - hope you can make it! Want to stay for dinner? They are going to hold a table for us. If yes, send me an email at md.whitaker@me.com.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
I’ll be there.
Cave Nil Vino

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »
I will be with you in spirit. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 01:43:55 AM »
Me too.  Wish I could have known Bill better.  I did do thorough research on his favorite pub back in the day and agree with his taste.  Doublewood wasn't part of my research.  Put my loss to good use.   

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
A party that will have to be missed in the physical sense but I will try to tap in otherwise. Around 5:00, you say? I like that large corner table to the far right by the window. If you can get it you may indeed find yourselves lucky.

You are an outstanding brother, Michael Whitaker. Same goes for Che Wardo and the rest of Bill's GCA mates both near and far.

Happy Sunday.

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »
I will be there in spirit.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »
To all you gents who will be with us “in spirit”... have no fear, I will take a wee dram of Doublewood on behalf of each of you!!!  :o

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
Michael when you have an idea on numbers I’ll pop in and ask if we can pre book the corner table.
Cave Nil Vino

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
Michael when you have an idea on numbers I’ll pop in and ask if we can pre book the corner table.

My good man! Imagined as one of Golf’s Most Beloved’s always jovial salutations.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
Sorry, Mark, I don’t have any numbers.

BigEdSC

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
I wish I could attend.  I''ll also be there in spirit.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 02:11:49 AM »

Nice work pulling this together Michael.

I met Bill a few times and he always seemed to have a smile on his face. His posts on this site also read as if they were written with a smile.

FBD can have my share. Slainte.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »
Just wanted to bump this to remind those interested that we will be at the Dunvegan around 5pm on the 23rd.

If you are definitely planning to join us please post a confirmation here or send me a PM.

See you soon!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
The ashtabularium is all ready to install Whitty waiting only to receive our old friend
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 06:08:21 AM »
Mike,
I’m having to work the Wednesday evening. What’s the rest of your schedule in the St A area?
M.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 06:38:55 AM »
Marty - We arrive on Sunday and depart on Thursday. Hope we can spend some time with you. Are you interested in a game any day?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
I think I’m available 20th and 21st. Any good?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
I think I’m available 20th and 21st. Any good?
Marty - Jerry and I are at Anstruther with Sean at 3:30ish on the 20th. Then we are at Elie at 12:00 on the 21st. We have four on the 21st (Jerry, Sean, Sterling and me), but I"m sure they would let us play 2 & 3 if you want to join up.

V_Halyard

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
Arriving Edinburgh/N Berwick May 19-20 and Golspie May 25th. Would love to meet some GCAers in the area. Will have sticks and walking shoes.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back