News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Fisher

Crystal Downs architect history
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »
To those of you who are aware of Crystal Downs' history, I'm looking for some info. I know where the design began (MacKenzie & Maxwell) and is currently (under Doak's watchful eye), but I wonder if other architects during the Post WWII era ever were hired to do work there.  Golf Digest gives credit to Cornish and Arthur Hills.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/crystal-downs-country-club

Thanks. 

Tom_Doak

Re: Crystal Downs architect history
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
Mr Cornish consulted to Crystal Downs in 1984-85, just after I first saw it.  With the superintendent, Tom Mead, he painted out MacKenzie-style capes and bays for a bunker restoration.  Several years later, an old home movie turned up that showed the course in 1932, with the bunkers more in Maxwell's style.  They were subsequently all rebuilt by the maintenance crew in-house.

Arthur Hills consulted there for a couple of years mid-90's when a friend of his from Toledo was club president.  I don't believe any construction was done under his watch.

It's still a MacKenzie / Maxwell Course which benefited greatly from being a quiet summer place that none of the members wanted to tinker with.

David Fisher

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »
So nobody really gets credit for restoring the bunkers back to Maxwell's style, except the superintendent at the time??
Thank you Tom.   

Jim Hoak

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »
So, Tom, I love the course, but I’ve wondered how much of the course is MacKenzie and how much Maxwell?  What exactly was their relationship?  MacKenzie was clearly the boss, right?  What exactly did each do?  Is it true that MacKenzie only spent a week there and Maxwell spent two summers executing on the design?  Is it really possible to separate their contributions to the wonderful result?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »
So nobody really gets credit for restoring the bunkers back to Maxwell's style, except the superintendent at the time??
Thank you Tom.

Correct.  Mike Morris, who is in his 31st year there, supervised all the work on the bunkers using stills from the home movie.  Of course there are a couple of architects who are members there who could lend advice if need be, but he did not need any from me, anyway.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back