News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Simons

Philmont CC embraces Willie Park Jr
« on: March 27, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »
Got an update from the new ownership group on improvements ongoing to the club, included in the email was this blurb:

"Welcoming Willie”, a multi part educational series based on historical data and comments from current well known golf course architects, historians, and members, focusing on our effort to fully embrace Mr. Park as the true architect of the north course.  We are extremely excited to go forward with this campaign, and will be looking to our members for creative ideas to help inject Mr. Park’s long deserved credit back into the club culture.  "

Not sure what will happen to the William Flynn plaque on the first tee. There are a few great threads on this board addressing the subject. The course is truly a joy to play, a real test. I've enjoyed the year that I've belonged there, hoping Concert Golf doesn't jack the dues too drastically next year. I played the South course last week and there are engineering/layout stakes all over the course. Seems like the sale of the South Course is getting closer.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:20:37 PM by Bob Simons »

Bob Simons

Re: Philmont CC embraces Willie Park Jr
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
Sorry about the format of the post, I don't know how to get the picture to post.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:24:59 PM by Bob Simons »

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
Thanks for the update. Can you please keep us updated on progress? It's exciting to see more and more clubs embrace WP Jr. He was one of the pioneers of strategic golf course design. Do you have any aerials from the 20-40's?

Have you reached out to Mungo Park for more ideas? He's sometimes active on this site.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »
Part of the greater whole that is the underrated Willie Park, Jr. work in the Philadelphia area. At one point all three major Jewish Clubs in Philadelphia were Willie Park, Jr. golf courses.

Philmont North
Ashbourne
Green Valley

Only one remains with the closing of Ashbourne ten years ago and Green Valley moving to William Flynn's Marble Hall in the 1940s.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
Great to see.   Willie Park, Jr. was a GIANT and one of the pioneers of strategic design both here and abroad.

Other courses in and around the PA/NJ corridor I've played where Park played some design role, either initially or in redesign include;

Abington (fka Old York CC)
Ashbourne (NLE)
Atlantic City
Berkshire
Glen Ridge
Greate Bay (fka Ocean City CC)
Penn State (White)
Philmont (North)
Schuylkill

All but the first still very worthy of a visit.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
Maybe if the previous regime at Philmont would have listened more closely to my presentations I made to them they would still own their club!   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 02:13:05 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JESII

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
Unnecessary, and petty, gentlemen.

Bob Simons

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »
Unnecessary, and petty, gentlemen.

No ill feelings here. I was just updating the board on the new things happening at Philmont.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
Which are great!

Joe taking a shot at the prior regime was petty and unnecessary.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
Which are great!

Joe taking a shot at the prior regime was petty and unnecessary.

Thanks Jim. You seem to not understand an emoticon.

Bob Simons

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »
Took a picture of where the old William Flynn plaque was on the first tee. It’s been removed. I’d love to have that for my garage! Also, we just received an email today that Concert Golf, the corporation that stepped in and bought Philmont last year, is in the process of selling 16 of it clubs to Club Corp. Philmont is one of the properties to be sold.

Bob Simons

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 07:55:14 PM »
Too bad I can’t figure out how to post a picture  ::)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »
Took a picture of where the old William Flynn plaque was on the first tee. It’s been removed. I’d love to have that for my garage! Also, we just received an email today that Concert Golf, the corporation that stepped in and bought Philmont last year, is in the process of selling 16 of it clubs to Club Corp. Philmont is one of the properties to be sold.

Hmmmm. . .

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 11:12:40 PM »

Hmmmm. . .

According to their website Concert owns 17 courses, sounds more like a complete exit.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 12:36:18 AM »
Club Corp must have made a very good offer...Concert  seemed like a savior... what changed? Money talking or something else?

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/uppermoreland/4-million-be-spent-restore-historic-huntingdon-valley-country-club
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:04:21 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

WilliamN

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
Club Corp must have made a very good offer...Concert  seemed like a savior... what changed? Money talking or something else?

I believe the ClubCorp go private closed last summer / early fall.  They need to find growth somewhere, and acquisition is clearly one way to get it.  Acquire their courses, consolidate overhead and see EBITDA expansion.  My guess is Concert was not for sale, but when an Apollo backed portfolio company calls, Concert ownership had to pick up the phone

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
It’s great for Philly to have a top notch course of another classic architect.
AKA Mayday

Mark McKeever

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »
This is great news!
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
Hot off the press...

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/real_estate/commercial/clubcorp-concert-golf-partners-philmont-montgomery-county-pa-big-five-20180416.html

I understand from some members that Concert has stopped renovation work still in progress and the clubhouse is a mess.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:56:39 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Bob Harris

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 03:02:28 PM »
Same story at White Manor,  work on the renovations that started last year has stopped.

Bob Simons

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
Was at Philmont today, they are working on the renovations again but a lot of these areas won’t be done any time soon. They bit off more than they could chew over the winter. I’m in the construction industry and I can guarantee if we were that far behind someone would be screaming at us to work overtime and weekends. Their pace seems fairly casual up there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back