News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Smith

Re: Future US Open Sites
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I would want Moraine as a future site.

I looked back at the 2016 course profile, and it is awesome with respect to bunkering and small landforms.  The visual texture of the course even looks like it would present well on TV.

There's enough length out there for Moraine to stand up to an Open.

The routing looks like a good one for spectator flow.   There are many hills and mounds to provide vantage points as well.

Looking at the satellite imagery, transportation access seems fine.  It looks like there are many options nearby for remote parking and shuttle bus systems.  There's adequate room around the greens for grandstands, etc.

The only logistical minus is that the area around the 9th/18th greens is a bit tight for the usual final hole bleachers.  If the nearby practice green were relocated and the 10th tee were moved forward a bit to clear some room, that problem would be solved.

Moraine is a top-notch Golden Age creation that translates well to the modern era.  It's "new" and "old" at the same time -- which beats a modern-day contrivance such as Erin Hills.

Finally, the geography is fairly desirable -- it gets an Open off of the coasts for a change, though I'm not totally sure we can call Ohio "midwestern".  I've been to Dayton a few times; it seems to me the area could reasonably accomodate Open travelers.

I wonder if the club would actually want to do it.  Moraine in let's say 2030, perhaps?
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Garland Bayley

Re: Future US Open Sites
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 11:46:58 PM »
Exactly why I believe the Masters has surpassed the US Open in prestige.   Erin Hills. Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay just don't make it.  The first requirement is a stately clubhouse and these are lacking :)

Just let them play poker in the clubhouse for the championship. Put all those monstrous club houses on the rota. Medinah would be great at hosting. Probably Sherwood CC would be great too.

Or, maybe they could forget the course and just hold the championship at a TopGolf facility.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back