News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Future US Open Sites
« on: April 14, 2018, 03:49:50 AM »
Now that the Masters is done and out of our system almost, moving on to the US Open I took a look at the future sites and didn't realize that they are announced all the way up to 2027 already.  Two courses show up twice, Shinnecock and Pebble.  Not a surprise there. Take a look at the future sites.

I definitely think Pebble needs its turn every 8-10 years (personally like to see if every 10 as it used to be), however other than LACC and a return to TCC we have the same cast.  This is where subjectivity comes in, but I would like to see a little more variety utilized.  I liked when the USGA scouted out and has utilized Bethpage, then took a chance at Erin Hills and to a lesser extent Chambers Bay.  Off the radar publics and then mixing in the usual cast of privates.  If you look at geography the Midwest is absent sans Oakmont.  It bounces back and forth from the East to West.

I love hitting traditional stops with history and that should continue, however what are some courses that could help even out the geography at the very least?  Muirfield Village, Iverness, Medinah, Crooked Stick, Oakland Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, Broadmoor, back to Erin Hills? Can the destination courses even be considered due to lack of infrastructure?  Probably not.

Last consideration is that the PGA will move to May and that will bring the south into play and for good reason as they really have been MIA due to June US Open date and August PGA date, thus weather is now in their favor.  Atlanta Athletic Club, Sawgrass, Southern Hills, or Streamsong even to help represent the PGA geography considering the new date?

YearEditionCourseLocationDatesTimes hosted
118th
Shinnecock Hills Golf ClubShinnecock Hills, New YorkJune 14–171896, 1986, 1995, 2004
119th
Pebble Beach Golf LinksPebble Beach, CaliforniaJune 13–161972, 1982, 1992, 2000, 2010
120th
Winged Foot Golf Club, West CourseMamaroneck, New YorkJune 18–211929, 1959, 1974, 1984, 2006
121st
Torrey Pines Golf Course, South CourseLa Jolla, CaliforniaJune 17–202008
122nd
The Country Club, Composite CourseBrookline, MassachusettsJune 16–191913, 1963, 1988
123rd
Los Angeles Country ClubLos Angeles, CaliforniaJune 15–18Never
124th
Pinehurst Resort, Course No. 2Pinehurst, North CarolinaJune 13–161999, 2005, 2014
125th
Oakmont Country ClubOakmont, PennsylvaniaJune 12–151927, 1935, 1953, 1962, 1973, 1983, 1994, 2007, 2016
126th
Shinnecock Hills Golf ClubShinnecock Hills, New YorkJune 18–211896, 1986, 1995, 2004, (2018)
127th
Pebble Beach Golf LinksPebble Beach, CaliforniaJune 17–201972, 1982, 1992, 2000, 2010, (2019)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

Re: Future US Open Sites
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »
There are some courses that do not want to host major tournaments. Are there are any of those that are so compelling that it would be great if they changed their minds? I have heard so much about The Golf Club, and it would be a Midwestern venue, but I have no idea if it would be a strong US Open course.

Ira

ChipRoyce

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
2 thoughts here:

1) Its nice to have a Rota, but I think its a bit overdone. I'd like to see a pattern where every other year, a 'rota' course is used (Pebble, Shinnecock, etc...) and the other year a non-rota course is brought into the fold that supports the USGA's desire for geographic diversity.

2) Existing PGA Tour venues should not be selected as US Open venues and certainly not in the Rota (throwing grenade into the center of the room). Yes, the San Diego area has become the hub of the golf equipment industry, however, Torrey is SOOOO overdone and no reason to have as an Open site, esp. on a repeat basis. 

What? Do I hear you say... but Pebble is also a PGA Tour site? Should it be excluded from the US Open?

Yeah - if I were USGA Exec Director for the day, my first act would be to drop Pebble. Sure, so much history and such a beautiful site for the Open. I stand by my view that Pebble is a great piece of golfing real estate with 5 good holes on it, the rest pedestrian at best.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
How cool would a Myopia US Open be? Wont ever happen with todays equipment but a rollback would save it. I’m most excited for TCC and LACC US Opens.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
2) Existing PGA Tour venues should not be selected as US Open venues and certainly not in the Rota (throwing grenade into the center of the room). Yes, the San Diego area has become the hub of the golf equipment industry, however, Torrey is SOOOO overdone and no reason to have as an Open site, esp. on a repeat basis. 

I tend to agree with this. Pebble is a bit of a special case since they don't play every round of the tournament there, but I would still be fine if it was dropped as a US Open site. Sawgrass should definitely not host a major; it already hosts one of the biggest tournaments every year. Torrey Pines has no business hosting a US Open, and I didn't like Quail Hollow as a major host either (although I do think it's a better golf course than Torrey Pines). I prefer more variety.

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:10:52 PM »
I really loved the shaggier version of Pebble in the last one. 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
How cool would a Myopia US Open be?

The lack of infrastructure might make that a bit short-sighted. 

Greg Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
I'd like to NOT ever go back to:

Olympic Club  (terrain issues just too severe, it plays too gimmicky)
Torrey Pines  (no no no no no.)
Chambers Bay  (faddish)
Erin Hills  (also faddish)
Hazeltine
Bellerive

Previous sites that might be OK once in a long while just to refresh the rota:

Olympia Fields
Medinah #3  (I actually miss the claustrophobic feel once in a while)
Southern Hills
Congressional  (but needs some re-thinking, especially agronomy/softness.  Needs more F&F)
Bethpage Black  (two within 7 years was too often, maybe once every 20)

Old sites I'd really like to see again:

Oakland Hills  (still great land, and a good history)
Cherry Hills  (I love Flynn, and geographically pleasing)
Inverness  (if the Fazio tinkering can be fixed somewhat)
Baltusrol Lower  (I actually miss the place)

Relative newcomers that stood up well to an Open:

Pinehurst  (but it has gotten a little too much love IMO)
Merion  (still a newcomer despite prev Open history, it took a real infrastructure re-do to make it happen)

Most anticipated:

LACC North  (just can't wait)
TCC  (the ultimate in Open history)

Should be on the permanent list:

Oakmont
Shinnecock
Pebble
TCC
Winged Foot West

Some that should be tried.  Some of these are clubs that won't:

Lancaster CC  (They had a nice Women's Open recently)  great routing and pacing
Winged Foot East  (every bit the equal of the West)
Baltusrol Upper  (more varied terrain than the Lower)
Chicago GC  (a founding USGA member!)
St. Louis CC 
Baltimore CC  (Five Farms East)  previous big USGA events, and a long-ago PGA.  Good infrastructure potential
Moraine
Prairie Dunes 

Would be cool but really just can't -- infrastructure, geography or equipment issues:

Myopia   (above poster was right, would require a ball rollback)
Crystal Downs  (it's too out of the way for an Open)

O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
I like the point about not using a regular PGA Tour stop (sans Pebble personally).  Although Torrey Pines isn't the best course in the US, this picture is stunning.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:30:17 PM by Jeff Schley »
- Steve Prefontaine

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »

Maybe through the lens of conventional thinking, but you’re a glasses half full kind of guy. No matter how you look at it and wherever it’s contested, a US Open should be pun-ishing.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matthew Essig

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
There are a lot of ifs, but if the poa greens take root well (which of the greens that made the transfer and opened for this year, I would say so far it's a success), the National Four-Ball Championship is deemed a success, and the USGA aren't scared of broken ankles from people slipping like they did at the US Am which lead to the crowds being so far away at the US Open, I fully expect the US Open to be going back to Chambers Bay sometime down the road. It's primetime TV and a market that is so thirsty for professional golf. Just based on the ridiculous amount of money made from merchandise in 2015 is a good enough reason alone for the USGA to want go back.

If they can hold a WGC in Memphis in the month of August, then I don't see a reason they couldn't have a US Open at Trinity Forest. Same average high temperatures and humidity.

I feel like a return to Cherry Hills might be overdue. It held up fairly well when it hosted the BMW in 2014. Some thick rough is probably all it needs.

Speaking of BMW Championship, it goes back to Aronimink this year and Medinah next year. I could see both those hosting, though I'd rather see Aronimink than Medinah.

Others that would be cool based on recent US Women's Opens:
-Blackwolf Run
-Lancaster CC
-Sebonack: Yes, I know its right next to Shinny, but it would be cool to switch it up once.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »

Maybe through the lens of conventional thinking, but you’re a glasses half full kind of guy. No matter how you look at it and wherever it’s contested, a US Open should be pun-ishing.....

Both of you can show yourselves out now.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

James Brown

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
Could we do an Open at the Ocean Course?

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »
Would like to see Oakland Hills again, but I grew up in the area.  I think if the membership pushed through the renovation they've been toying with they would pique the USGA's interest. 
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
Chiming in on this icy Sunday
--Torrey Pines should be off the rota forever, regardless of how stunning one drone photo might be;
--Chambers Bay is not faddish, but would be better as a PGA site if that event moves back to August ever;
--Olympia Fields was wretchedly boring the first time around, and should not host another major event;
--The Ocean Course is completely inaccessible, as it sits about 40 miles out on Kiawah Island, down a stretch of single-lane roadway that tops out at 30 mph, through housing tracts with children riding bikes;
--You need to stop the delusional thinking that a shortish, golden-age course can host a US Open in today's climate. Courses where you fall off the green onto the next tee are the greatest examples of architecture, but completely unfavorable for what a US Open needs. It's like having a Stanley Cup played on the frozen pond or river near your house-it would be awesome, but it's only a dream;

Here are my 12 suggestions for courses. First 4 are permanent members of the rotation, based on worth and geography. Next 4 are every other 12 years, and Final 4 are move-in-see-how-it-goes

1. Shinnecock Hills
2. Pinehurst #2
3. LA CC North (reach #2-will they want it again?)
4. Oakmont

5. Seminole (reach #1-do they want it? is Walker Cup a barometric device?)
6. Pebble Beach
7. Chambers Bay
8. Crooked Stick

9. Trinity Forest
10. The Country Club Composite Course
11. Sand Valley (whichever ends up being longest and toughest)
12. Pikewood National
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Bodo

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Would like to see Oakland Hills again, but I grew up in the area.  I think if the membership pushed through the renovation they've been toying with they would pique the USGA's interest.
Having caddied in the 1985 U.S. Open at OHCC, it will be 30 yrs. come 2026 since the last time the Open was last held there. Prior to that the club hosted an Open on average every 15 yrs. I don't know what the course and or membership did to fall out of favor with the USGA, but for a prestigious and historic club nicknamed "The Monster" by Ben Hogan, I find its absence from the U.S. Open course rota an abomination. Granted, the club has hosted two U.S. Amateurs since the 1996 U.S. Open, but that's chump change in my mind. I'd be curious to know if there is something more going on that I am not privy to that would explain the club and courses disappearance from major championship golf, as I don't believe the PGA Championship has plans of coming back to OHCC anytime soon as well.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »
Having caddied in the 1985 U.S. Open at OHCC, it will be 30 yrs. come 2026 since the last time the Open was last held there. Prior to that the club hosted an Open on average every 15 yrs. I don't know what the course and or membership did to fall out of favor with the USGA, but for a prestigious and historic club nicknamed "The Monster" by Ben Hogan, I find its absence from the U.S. Open course rota an abomination. Granted, the club has hosted two U.S. Amateurs since the 1996 U.S. Open, but that's chump change in my mind. I'd be curious to know if there is something more going on that I am not privy to that would explain the club and courses disappearance from major championship golf, as I don't believe the PGA Championship has plans of coming back to OHCC anytime soon as well.

It seems as though the US Open is loathe to return to venues similar to OHCC, not just OHCC itself.  By that I mean large, venerable cool season grassed parkland privates in major metropolitan areas.  There have been very few Medinahs, Baltusrols, etc. in the past couple decades.  The only one coming up in the future in that category would be Brookline in 2022 and Winged Foot coming up as well.  But Winged Foot is really a "best of breed" parkland layout. 
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mike Bodo

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
It seems as though the US Open is loathe to return to venues similar to OHCC, not just OHCC itself.  By that I mean large, venerable cool season grassed parkland privates in major metropolitan areas.  There have been very few Medinahs, Baltusrols, etc. in the past couple decades.  The only one coming up in the future in that category would be Brookline in 2022 and Winged Foot coming up as well.  But Winged Foot is really a "best of breed" parkland layout.
I don't think the issue is so much the USGA being loathe to return to parkland privates as it is golden era courses in general - many of which are either judged as being too short by today's standards and or do not have the open spaces required for the customary VIP & merchandise tents, grandstands, concession kiosks, porta-johns, parking, etc. It's for this reason your seeing a lot of newer courses, i.e. Erin Hills, Chambers Bay, Whistling Straits, etc. hosting majors, as they have the length, layout and open spaces to hold today's festival-like events. Though Shinnecock Hills falls into the golden era course category, you may not see another U.S. Open held there after 2026, as I talked to a friend who knows a member there that told them that because the course is short by today's standards the club was given an edict by the USGA to make the rough ridiculously long and decrease the width of the fairways more so than past Opens held there so that they pros don't chop it up. As such, this member said he and others are not looking forward to playing the course the closer they get to the Open, as the conditions are going to be brutal for most of them. If this is what golden era courses are going to have to deal with in order to even be considered to host a U.S. Open or PGA Championship, is it even worth the inconvenience to the membership at these privates? I don't know.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 03:02:41 AM »
If one cares about a course from an architectural PoV rather than an historical venue for majors, its much better to hope the course doesn't host a major. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 07:09:09 AM »
If one cares about a course from an architectural PoV rather than an historical venue for majors, its much better to hope the course doesn't host a major. 
Ciao
+1
Atb

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Exactly why I believe the Masters has surpassed the US Open in prestige.   Erin Hills. Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay just don't make it.  The first requirement is a stately clubhouse and these are lacking :)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
If AG does the work I expect, don't be surprised if Oak Hill is poached by the USGA from the PGA.

RM
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 08:35:44 AM »

Though Shinnecock Hills falls into the golden era course category, you may not see another U.S. Open held there after 2026, as I talked to a friend who knows a member there that told them that because the course is short by today's standards the club was given an edict by the USGA to make the rough ridiculously long and decrease the width of the fairways more so than past Opens held there so that they pros don't chop it up. As such, this member said he and others are not looking forward to playing the course the closer they get to the Open, as the conditions are going to be brutal for most of them.

Mike,
Shinnecock, recently completed a fairway width restoration, dating from lost fairway width over the years in general, and concluding with the 2004 US Open.
The newer fairway widths for the US Open will not be nearly as narrow as previous widths(definitely not narrower than previous Opens), just significantly narrowerer than the recent widening of the last few years.
Why they needed to regrass the roughs with fescue(and then replace it later) rather than simply allowing the fairways to grow to rough escapes me, but much of the USGA logic escapes me.
The members there moan every time there is an Open, saying never again, and then a few years go by, and voila-another Open magically appears.
Evidently money and ego trump inconvenience.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Andrew Buck

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Chicago gets another Open (or PGA) in the near future.  It's assured that it will be over a 25 year drought for the open, and almost a 20 year drought for a major at this point.  There are really only three sites that could possibly host (Olympia Fields, Medinah and Butler) and one would require a drastic change in membership. 

I know there are concerns in this thread the last Open at Olympia Fields was boring, but I'm not sure that's anything more than code for Tiger and Phil played poorly and Furyk ran away with it, in the same way the last Pinehurst Open was somewhat boring while still being a great golf course. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Chicago gets another Open (or PGA) in the near future.  It's assured that it will be over a 25 year drought for the open, and almost a 20 year drought for a major at this point.  There are really only three sites that could possibly host (Olympia Fields, Medinah and Butler) and one would require a drastic change in membership. 

I know there are concerns in this thread the last Open at Olympia Fields was boring, but I'm not sure that's anything more than code for Tiger and Phil played poorly and Furyk ran away with it, in the same way the last Pinehurst Open was somewhat boring while still being a great golf course.
I am biased, but I would like to see my hometown get another major.  Not just one, but at least 1 per every 5 years (US OPEN or PGA). 

I don't think Cog Hill made the necessary improvements as the Rees Jones renovation should have a money back guarantee. That was like almost 10 years ago and with the Western Open leaving there and rotating Cog Hill is off the radar.

Three possibilities:

1. Medinah (most likely)
2. Olympia Fields (hopeful, but less likely)
3. New Jackson Park course renovation on Lake Michigan!  Yup, aim high or don't load the gun.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back