News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: OWGR and LIV golfers
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2022, 10:04:52 PM »
Is Cameron Smith the best Australian golfer since Peter Thomsen?
Adam Scott and Jason Day would like a word. Cam Smith has been good for like a year at this point, and for a good chunk of 2022, we don't really know how good he was because he was playing against a good chunk of nobodies. Like at the Aussie tournament he just won… who knows? At any rate, Cam's been really good for only a short period of time. Let's slow our roll, eh? We'll see if it continues or if it's a short-term hot streak.

And Peter Thomson won one PGA Tour event… and a bunch of weak field British Opens. Adam Scott > Peter Thomson, I reckon.
Erik,

I was attempting to troll Greg Norman and had to pick an Aussie who preceded him. Those weak field The Open fields included Player and Palmer. Nicklaus won his first the year after Thomson won his last.  And Peter won 9 Senior Tours the year he turned 55. But you make a good point including Day and Scott in the discussion.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2022, 10:15:57 PM »
Is Cameron Smith the best Australian golfer since Peter Thomsen?
I don't know, but he spent a good chunk of 2022 beating nobodies at events like the Tournament of Champions, Players, and Open Championship, so its hard to say how good he was this year.

4 individual pga tour wins and 4 DP wins. Not to shabby. He was the only player I was disappointed to see go to LIV. I watched a YouTube show where they interviewed him and toured his house. He came off as just a great level headed kid. Hated to see Rory lose the British Open but the kid was very impressive. I look forward to seeing him in May at Oak Hill. Hell of a lot better than Norman under pressure. 
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2022, 11:19:07 PM »
I don't know, but he spent a good chunk of 2022 beating nobodies at events like the Tournament of Champions, Players, and Open Championship, so its hard to say how good he was this year.
Do you think Scottie Scheffler will continue to play at his level, or do you think either or both of them (Scottie/Cam) got hot for awhile?Brooks was hot for a few years. Jason Day hasn't done much lately. Etc.They could all come back, too, sure. But…

I was attempting to troll Greg Norman and had to pick an Aussie who preceded him.
Okay. Fair enough.

Those weak field The Open fields included Player and Palmer.
1954 - No Player, No Palmer
1955 - No Player, No Palmer
1956 - Player, No Palmer
1958 - Player, No Palmer
1965 - Player WD, Palmer
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Rob Marshall

John Kavanaugh

Kalen Braley

« Reply #280 on: January 17, 2023, 11:06:26 AM »
Given LIVs chances of prevailing in this lawsuit are slim to none...they may as well move along.

At this point they'll probably have better luck just embracing the rogue/bad boy image, as they've basically poached all the villains anyway according to Harry Higgs. https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/liv-golf-took-all-the-villains-pga-tour-pro

They should make their own majors, encourage players like Brooks and BDC to have public spats, have phil continue to disparage everyone, and basically go full Alpha Betas from Revenge of the Nerds...and their fans will no doubt eat it up.

At least they would be they authentic...

David Cronan

« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2023, 05:29:08 PM »

JLahrman

« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2023, 07:28:18 PM »
Slightly OT, but looks like LIV has a TV Deal....

https://www.si.com/golf/news/liv-golf-on-verge-of-announcing-tv-deal-with-cw-network

Will it draw more viewers than Gossip Girl and Hart of Dixie reruns? What do the bookmakers say?

Daryl David

« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2023, 07:31:55 PM »

https://www.si.com/golf/news/liv-golf-on-verge-of-announcing-tv-deal-with-cw-network

Will it draw more viewers than Gossip Girl and Hart of Dixie reruns? What do the bookmakers say?

Does it matter?  What do you think the viewer numbers will be for the Amex this weekend?  Right up there with Gossip Girl, I assume.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2023, 07:55:08 PM »
As long as people who watch do so out of choice instead out of habit golf will move forward. The brainwashed network afternoon nap viewership has done the game no favors.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2023, 08:08:01 PM »

Yes, a rev share (still not confirmed but…):

A source told SI that the initial deal would be a revenue-sharing arrangement –without a rights fee being paid. But for LIV Golf, that is a better outcome than the various reports that it could pay Fox Sports to have its broadcasts on FS1 or FS2.

We'll see.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Max Prokopy

« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2023, 09:29:36 PM »
Given LIVs chances of prevailing in this lawsuit are slim to none...they may as well move along.

At this point they'll probably have better luck just embracing the rogue/bad boy image, as they've basically poached all the villains anyway according to Harry Higgs. https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/liv-golf-took-all-the-villains-pga-tour-pro

They should make their own majors, encourage players like Brooks and BDC to have public spats, have phil continue to disparage everyone, and basically go full Alpha Betas from Revenge of the Nerds...and their fans will no doubt eat it up.

At least they would be they authentic...

Amateur question, which you perhaps are not the right person to answer, but since the PGA Tour counter-sued, can LIV simply walk away from this? 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2023, 08:21:38 AM »

Literally, reading this article was the first time I had ever even heard of the CW Network. And I have Sling, Netflix, Prime, and Paramount+, among others, so it’s not like I’m living in a cave.

I’m sure there is some way I could watch it, but this strikes me as about as small of a “TV deal” as there could possibly be.  Which makes me suspect that ALL other options have been exhausted.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JLahrman

« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2023, 09:12:15 AM »

Does it matter?  What do you think the viewer numbers will be for the Amex this weekend?  Right up there with Gossip Girl, I assume.

I have no idea on any of that, I don't even know which tournament the Amex is. But no it doesn't really matter, the goal for LIV is certainly not profitability and therefore its TV ratings do not matter. But we'll see what happens. Cobra Kai started out on YouTube Red, after all.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2023, 09:21:29 AM »
Next announcement is going to be Mito......That adds a lot. Who won't tune in now?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #290 on: January 18, 2023, 12:48:41 PM »

Literally, reading this article was the first time I had ever even heard of the CW Network. And I have Sling, Netflix, Prime, and Paramount+, among others, so it’s not like I’m living in a cave.

I’m sure there is some way I could watch it, but this strikes me as about as small of a “TV deal” as there could possibly be.  Which makes me suspect that ALL other options have been exhausted.

AG,

I suspect you may have been, because its been around for over 15 years now.  But it is a minor network that usually airs lower budget content, and the target audience is typically a young demographic.

Either way thou, I don't see much crossover between its typical viewership and those who watch LIV, but I guess that remains to be seen.

P.S.  Max, I'd bet dollars to donuts that if LIV drops its suit, the PGATour would drop its counter-suit soon after.

David Cronan

« Reply #291 on: January 18, 2023, 03:40:16 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2023, 03:47:52 PM »
Looks like Patrick Reed's Kraken Attorney is upset....

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/patrick-reed-lawyers-threaten-cnn-with-dollar450m-lawsuit

The WITB of the author of the piece made me happy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back