News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bernie Bell

Re: ALNMOUTH VILLAGE GC: What More Do You Need?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:12 PM »
Interesting juxtaposition, this thread and Ardfin. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:40:34 PM by Bernie Bell »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: ALNMOUTH VILLAGE GC: What More Do You Need?
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 05:53:43 PM »
Interesting juxtaposition, this thread and Ardfin.

Do you think there's an honesty box at Ardfin? 

Yes indeed, an interesting juxtaposition.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Re: ALNMOUTH VILLAGE GC: 20-21 Winter Tour
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 08:55:06 AM »
See the updated tour.  I continue to be very impressed with the course despite the protestations of Spangles.
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65709.msg1568291.html#msg1568291

Previous Stops on the 20-21 Winter Tour

Cleeve Cloud
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Beaverbrook - no photo tour

North Berwick
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59363.0.html

Planned 20-21 Winter Tour Stops

Goswick
Muirfield

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:03:11 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Derek Holland

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
Sean - Love the tours! Thanks for your contribution. Curious as to how you select when/which courses you visit/revisit?

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2020, 05:35:16 AM »
Sean - Love the tours! Thanks for your contribution. Curious as to how you select when/which courses you visit/revisit?

Cheers Derek.

I select courses based on a what a few folks on here and Twitter think. Clyde Johnson is excellent because he sees the little courses, doesn't get emotionally carried away and I think like me, he is often looking for a killer hole or two which surprises. David Thomas is also good for info. Jeff Warne knows a ton. Plus I keep my ear to the ground, stop by places as recon when in the area, use Google Earth quite a bit etc.

When I choose to play is purely down to opportunity, usually when already travelling. I like to add on a smaller, cheapish course when going away. I am trying to target Flempton and Royston for a 1 nighter.

The courses I return to is more and more about cost. I am a huge fan of Formby, but the cost is really too much these days. Still, all the places I keep returning to are courses I enjoy and to see folks.

I was thinking a Three 9s comp should be organized for GCAers. Back 9 at Seahouses in the morning, then Alnmouth Village for lunch, then Warkworth later in the afternoon. That would be pretty cool.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:21:59 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2020, 06:44:38 AM »

I was thinking a Three 9s comp should be organize for GCAers. Back 9 at Seahouses in the morning, then Alnmouth Village for lunch, then Wark worth later in the afternoon. That would be pretty cool.

Ciao

I'd love to do that, but with the order reversed.  All courses start with a tricky par 3, but Warkworth's is the easiest.  Also it would mean we wouldn't finish on the weakest section. Seahouses is the clubhouse that is most likely to be open for a post round pint overlooking the course and the sea. Convenient as Seahouses or Bamburgh would probably be where most would stay.

In July I started at 2pm with 36 at Warkworth and then the 5 min drive for 9 at Alnmouth Village. Was eating Fish n' Chips in Seahouses at 7pm. 

PS Lewis's Chipper had the lightest batter on perfectly cooked fish and the most delicious chips. Best I've had.  Highly recommended. (I believe thanks are due to the Lawyer for the tip.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:52:31 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2020, 06:49:28 AM »
But you might get caught out at Seahouses with groups coming from the front 9 if you try to play in the pm. Its better to play the course early when empty then move on...no?

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »
But you might get caught out at Seahouses with groups coming from the front 9 if you try to play in the pm. Its better to play the course early when empty then move on...no?

Ciao

Agreed ....but otherwise its practically perfect in every way. 

The woman who runs the bar and collects the green fees, seems able to predict the quiet times and  told me which day to come last month. I'm sure she'd accept a booking in advance, we can ask. Albeit Weekend might be difficult.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 07:38:27 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2020, 08:07:48 AM »

Ciao

Agreed ....but otherwise its practically perfect in every way. 

The woman who runs the bar and collects the green fees, seems able to predict the quiet times and  told me which day to come last month. I'm sure she'd accept a booking in advance, we can ask. Albeit Weekend might be difficult.

Yes, she's a peach. I really like the vibe of Seahouses.  It reminds me a ton of ma & pa courses in the US.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 08:36:01 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2020, 08:10:19 AM »
Might be worth looking at inland courses as well.
Lots of Scottish-English border towns had courses built in the 1890’s-1920’s - often 9-holers on sheep roamed uplands/moorland. Must be some that would fall into the quirky, rural and rustic variety beloved by many posting herein, eg maybe near towns like Selkirk, Gala, Hawick, Duns, Wooler etc etc. Some might not be too hot but some might be a surprise. Clyde may have some suggestions.
Atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
Lots of Scottish-English border towns had courses built in the 1890’s-1920’s - often 9-holers on sheep roamed uplands/moorland. Must be some that would fall into the quirky, rural and rustic variety beloved by many posting herein, eg maybe near towns like Selkirk, Gala, Hawick, Duns, Wooler etc etc. Some might not be too hot but some might be a surprise. Clyde may have some suggestions.
Atb
Not aware of anything terribly interesting inland in North Northumberland.  In the Borders Peebles is OK, Innerleithen is a 9 holer on flat-ish land but worth a knock but a long way from Seahouses.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
Atb

Selkirk has some stout golf, benched on the hillside above town. I'd driven past it a bunch over the years, and finally played it post-lockdown. The final 150 yards of the par-5 8th is very cool, having played through a channel the green is side-stepped over  and beyond the right flanking ridge. The drop-shot finisher is a beauty too.

There's not much to be seen at Innerleithen. It sits in a u-shaped valley bottom, though the par-3 4th brings a welcome funk as it plays sharply upwards onto the easterly hillside. I think this might have been Willie Park Jnrs first foray in golf course architecture!? 

Hawick climbs up over three levels, until it eventually sneaks over to the eastern side of a hill above town. Midway up, the 4th is so severely tilted that a wooden board holds shots that have landed in the fairway and inevitable chased into the semi-rough. On the way back down, the drivable 15th has a tiny green with severe fall-offs, and then the par-3 17th parachutes to a double-green shared with the first.

Jedbergh has 9 new holes, but they're amateur hour really. The current 4th is most notable - a drive down from the wooden hut of a clubhouse leaves an awkward pitch from a downhill lie to a green sandwiched between a stream and a boundary wall.

I'm pretty interested in seeing Galashiels, but less so Melrose and St Boswells. It's amazing that all these places still have a golf course of their own.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »

Selkirk has some stout golf, benched on the hillside above town. I'd driven past it a bunch over the years, and finally played it post-lockdown. The final 150 yards of the par-5 8th is very cool, having played through a channel the green is side-stepped over  and beyond the right flanking ridge. The drop-shot finisher is a beauty too.

There's not much to be seen at Innerleithen. It sits in a u-shaped valley bottom, though the par-3 4th brings a welcome funk as it plays sharply upwards onto the easterly hillside. I think this might have been Willie Park Jnrs first foray in golf course architecture!? 

Hawick climbs up over three levels, until it eventually sneaks over to the eastern side of a hill above town. Midway up, the 4th is so severely tilted that a wooden board holds shots that have landed in the fairway and inevitable chased into the semi-rough. On the way back down, the drivable 15th has a tiny green with severe fall-offs, and then the par-3 17th parachutes to a double-green shared with the first.

Jedbergh has 9 new holes, but they're amateur hour really. The current 4th is most notable - a drive down from the wooden hut of a clubhouse leaves an awkward pitch from a downhill lie to a green sandwiched between a stream and a boundary wall.

I'm pretty interested in seeing Galashiels, but less so Melrose and St Boswells. It's amazing that all these places still have a golf course of their own.

Thanks Clyde.

I found these on YouTube -

Selkirk - [size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VJwEm2c6Q[/size]

Hawick - [/size][size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Owa-V5z3Ow4[/size]

Jedburgh - [/size][size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H4KvOSJDY[/size]

Like the look of some of the Clubhouses. No need for a mansion or a palace.

Shame how many yee olde 9-hole Clubs throughout the UK that originally only had 9-hole courses with quirk and character and charm then decades later added 9 more holes that are pretty bland.

Nice to see such clubs especially in rural areas continuing to exist though. Long may they continue to do so and the members and visitors have fun playing them.

Atb

Niall C

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »
Atb
Not aware of anything terribly interesting inland in North Northumberland.  In the Borders Peebles is OK, Innerleithen is a 9 holer on flat-ish land but worth a knock but a long way from Seahouses.

Mark

Have you ever played Hexham ? One of my Cumbrian pals used to wax lyrical about it. Not sure if that was more to do with the nights out in the local pub or because of the course itself but I've always meant to visit but never got round to it.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
Sean/Tony

Re nine hole tour - I had the same idea, or rather I nicked it from Tom D. I was thinking of a tour of the nine holers in Perthshire or alternatively up in the Highlands. You could do 2 loops of nine on one course and a single loop of nine on another for 27 holes. A bit more palatable than the 36 a day at BUDA. In fact I even had a name for the event - BUDA Lite !!!

The Perthshire one could take in;

Blairgowrie Wee Course
Killin
Strathtay
Blair Athol (Invertilt)
Comrie
St Fillans
Crieff

The Highland circuit (a bit more spread out);

Ballindalloch Castle
Rothes
Covesea
Abernethy
Carrbridge
Bonar Bridge
Tarbat

Even doubled up a lot of these courses are short so shouldn't be too taxing physically. Maybe an opportunity to put half a dozen clubs in a pencil bag rather than the full kit.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
Niall,

Yes, I have, a couple of times.  I think they changed the routing a few years before as they had a problem with balls straying into the parking lot of a neighbouring car dealership.  Pleasant but not somewhere I'm rushing to get back to.  I'd probably rather stay on the A69 to Brampton.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
Atb

Peebles is a Colt course. Would quite like to see it next time I'm in the area.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
Re Peebles - FBD started a thread on it a couple of years ago IIRC. It might have included some photos.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2021, 03:00:50 AM »
Selkirk? Just saw some very interesting pix on Insta, I am adding Selkirk to my list.

Ciao

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2021, 05:11:00 PM »
Re Peebles - FBD started a thread on it a couple of years ago IIRC. It might have included some photos.

Niall

I just found it. ‘Perfectly Pukka Peebles’. From NINE years ago. Unfortunately the photos were on Photobucket so have all disappeared. I have some very much lower resolution versions. If anyone wants to see them, I can start a fresh thread.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2021, 03:08:20 AM »

Niall

I just found it. ‘Perfectly Pukka Peebles’. From NINE years ago. Unfortunately the photos were on Photobucket so have all disappeared. I have some very much lower resolution versions. If anyone wants to see them, I can start a fresh thread.
Cheers,
F.

Sounds like a Friday job, yes please.

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: Alluring ALNMOUTH VILLAGE GC: 20-21 Winter Tour
« Reply #71 on: Today at 05:26:51 AM »
It looks like storms last week have caused part of the 5th to fall onto the beach.  That green must be just about hanging over the beach. I wonder if the forward tee is still in play. It could make for a very dramatic par 3. Anyway, what a shame. Alnmouth Village is one of my favourite courses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3gevv14nrwo

Ciao
« Last Edit: Today at 05:31:18 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back