News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Naccarato

Re: RIP Dr. Geoffrey Childs
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 07:16:20 PM »
Sorry to hear. As a NYC native who also grew up playing at Split Rock, playing a round with him at our favorite muni was a special day.

Hopefully one day it will be restored with the Stiles and VanCleek plans he found.

Jaeger, He very much enjoyed that day!

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2024, 07:16:52 PM »
Tommy,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful tribute you wrote about Dr. Childs. My deep condolences to you for the multiple losses of 3 close friends passing away in such a short span of time! I have fond memories of Geoffrey joyfully showing me construction photos of Yale,over 16 years ago. I will always remember talking with him outside of Ridgewood's clubhouse about the restored bunkering there and the ongoing restoration that was elevating Fenway to historic heights. That was the first time inside the lovely RCC clubhouse for me!!

The Cavemen continue to do wonderful work and I believe Jaeger did much of the beautiful shaping at Ridgewood. As others have mentioned Geoffrey had many talents and interests. I am so glad that he and Jane had so many great experiences together. I also enjoyed seeing their amazing dinners pictured online.Take care of yourself Tommy....

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2024, 07:23:30 PM »
Tommy,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful tribute you wrote about Dr. Childs. My deep condolences to you for the multiple losses of 3 close friends passing away in such a short span of time! I have fond memories of Geoffrey joyfully showing me construction photos of Yale,over 16 years ago. I will always remember talking with him outside of Ridgewood's clubhouse about the restored bunkering there and the ongoing restoration that was elevating Fenway to historic heights. That was the first time inside the lovely RCC clubhouse for me!!

The Cavemen continue to do wonderful work and I believe Jaeger did much of the beautiful shaping at Ridgewood. As others have mentioned Geoffrey had many talents and interests. I am so glad that he and Jane had so many great experiences together. I also enjoyed seeing their amazing dinners pictured online.Take care of yourself Tommy....

Thanks Mark!  Really been struggling with this as well as Pat Burke and another friend who was one of my Drag Racing mentors.

Regarding Ridgeway, and I think Jaeger will agree, it isn’t one or a majority, but a team that worked there.  That the way we do it at Hanse Design.  We don’t play for the name on the back, but the one on the front of the jersey! ;). (I even worked on a bit of Ridgeway from afar)

Geoffrey’s wife Jane is an amazing person!  I’m so glad she gave what I think were the happiest years of Geoff’s life, despite his illness in the last few years.  They were a great couple!

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2024, 07:29:34 PM »
I was very sad to learn the news from Tommy over the weekend, thanks everyone for sharing the stories. I had the good fortune of enjoying a round with Geoff at one of the early GCA outings at Inniscrone, it was a fun and memorable day. Geoff will be greatly missed by all who were lucky enough to meet him.

I love Mike's words of mischievous twinkle, that's how I will always picture him in my mind.

George & Mike, As you both know, I’ve always viewed all of us from the early days of GCA as a family.  I can’t begin to explain how hard it was to come back to you guys, play our golf, break our bread and drink our wine then fly back to regular life out here in California.  I feel that every minute spent with all of you was the key to my happiness in life—a group of like-minded individuals from all walks of life discussing the thing we loved most!

I’m indebted to all of you!

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2024, 09:14:36 PM »
Geoff was always fun to run into at Yale. The first time I met him he was in the group in front and hit it to ten feet on 9 and his only remark is that he should of had a swing to a back pin as that was the only place it belonged on a Biarritz hole. The handful of times I ran into him he was gracious and engaging and despite the tough love approach he really loved Yale GC. Condolences to his family and friends.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 09:17:21 PM by Tim Martin »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2024, 12:04:17 AM »
RIP Beloved Mollydooker!

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2024, 10:11:35 AM »
I was very sad to learn the news from Tommy over the weekend, thanks everyone for sharing the stories. I had the good fortune of enjoying a round with Geoff at one of the early GCA outings at Inniscrone, it was a fun and memorable day. Geoff will be greatly missed by all who were lucky enough to meet him.

I love Mike's words of mischievous twinkle, that's how I will always picture him in my mind.

George & Mike, As you both know, I’ve always viewed all of us from the early days of GCA as a family.  I can’t begin to explain how hard it was to come back to you guys, play our golf, break our bread and drink our wine then fly back to regular life out here in California.  I feel that every minute spent with all of you was the key to my happiness in life—a group of like-minded individuals from all walks of life discussing the thing we loved most!

I’m indebted to all of you!

Tommy,

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention your opening line to the Yale AD when Geoff hosted you, me and Mike Sweeney:

“I’m going have to give you some tough love” were your words, obviously intimidating to the Yale brass, but brought a big smile to Geoff’s face.

It was a classic. Hope you can make it to Yale if they have an opening day when the work is completed.
Tim Weiman

SL_Solow

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2024, 10:29:11 AM »
I have been off the site a lot recently  I am devastated by this news as Geoff and I spoke only a few months ago.  One of the truly kind individuals who possessed a brilliant mind and who was devoted to family and friends.  When Geoff cared about something he was passionate.  I have a few good stories but now is not the time as I am still processing this news.  I am certain that he will be missed.  We are diminished by losing our friend.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2024, 01:42:12 PM »
Sad news for the world of GCA.   :-[
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2024, 08:40:33 AM »

Regarding Ridgeway, and I think Jaeger will agree, it isn’t one or a majority, but a team that worked there.  That the way we do it at Hanse Design.  We don’t play for the name on the back, but the one on the front of the jersey! ;) . (I even worked on a bit of Ridgeway from afar)

Hey, Tommy, if you are going to beat your chest about the name on the back of the jersey, at least you could get the name of the club in Jersey correct.  ;)

RIP to Dr. Childs, one of the many wonderful people whom we know because he loved the game and loved its architecture, and had no need to extract a living out of it like some of us do.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:43:25 AM by Tom_Doak »

SPDB

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2024, 01:49:53 PM »
Tommy,
Thanks for sharing the sad news of Geoff's passing. My condolences to Jane and his family.

I remember meeting Geoff nearly 25 years ago at a NYC dinner of folks that comprised a good percentage of the active posters back then. Sadly, I think all of the attendees have departed either this website or this mortal coil. I seem to recall Geoff, Pat Mucci, Tom Paul, Mike Sweeney, Brad Miller and others who I can no longer recall.

Geoff was a terrific guy, with whom I loved sparring on early threads here. He was a supremely no-nonsense guy who will be missed. I hope you are well my friend - I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2024, 03:34:39 PM »
I spent the good part of a day maybe 10 years ago with Geoff at Fenway. I cherish that day. It was fun to talk golf, architecture, history, science, and food.

He was a man for all seasons.

And we've had so many interactions over the years on Facebook. He loved to cook and my wife and I learned plenty from Geoff and Jane.

For years my spouse was making pizzas at home, darn near from scratch. Geoff alerted us to the bread recipe he used (from a NY Times recipe contest winner), and that took our game up a level. Then, well then (!), he had been searching for years trying to reproduce the pizzas from the places in Brooklyn, and he learned of the commercial sauce they used. We bought it and forever more our homemade pizzas are called the Geoff pizzas!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2024, 02:52:16 PM »
I wish I had the pleasure to have met him. He sounds like a person of worth. I am glad he had so many friends. They are a joy, and I wish him and his family peace and consolation.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2024, 05:01:11 PM »

Tommy Naccarato and Noel Freeman gave me the sad news on Friday and I’ve been working through this loss all weekend. It’s a tough one.

Noel was my sponsor when I joined the YGC in 2007, and soon afterward I entered the orbit of the incomparable Dr. Childs. Tommy rightly points to Geoffrey’s advocacy for Yale and Split Rock (in the case of the latter, he was appalled at the graft and resource waste being poured into Ferry Point while Golden Age golf languished just a couple of miles up the road). Geoffrey was from the Bronx and when he got riled up about the way these golf courses were being treated his words could hit like a boxer pounding a heavy bag. But I have to say, golf architecture (and politics) were the only subjects where I ever saw that side of him. Most of the time he was a warm and gentle fellow—he loved talking about the Yankees, or his favorite Arthur Avenue salumerias, or hikes he and Jane (who he truly adored) would go on in the Hudson Valley. He had a fancy straight razor that he tried to sell me on once or twice--maybe because I’m a fellow bald guy! He did meaningful scientific work with Einstein. He was a thoroughly well-rounded person with intelligent perspective on just about anything you’d care to discuss.

I know I’m not alone on this site in having more than a few Dr. Childs golf stories. In the ‘00s, most of my golf with Geoffrey also involved Noel, and those two had a special bond. Playing golf with the two of them was like playing with a couple who have been married for 40 years. Their banter was impossibly dry and hilarious, and Geoffrey always knew the exact moment when Noel’s scorecard was about to go up in flames. After Noel moved to California Geoffrey and I didn’t play as much golf together at Yale—he was also dealing with various injuries and illnesses off and on—but we’d still see each other several times a year at various courses in NY.

One of my favorite Dr. Childs stories… Maybe six or seven years ago he and I went down to tee it up at Split Rock. It was perhaps the first warm, sunny spring morning we’d seen that year, and when we showed up Pelham-Split Rock was absolutely jammed. We pay our green fees, get paired up with another twosome, and then mill around the practice green for the better part of an hour. Our place in the queue was totally uncertain—this is not a high temple of organizational efficiency—but it felt like we might wait all day to get out. Eventually I got impatient and said, “Geoff, this is ridiculous. We need to get out of here. Let’s call Neil [Regan]. Maybe he’ll join us at Mohansic or Saxon.”

Dr. Childs agreed and I call Neil on speaker. He answers and we can immediately hear highway noise in the background. Before we can say much of anything, he says, “Hey! I just got on 684. I’m going down to Winged Foot…want to come out?” Geoffrey’s face lit up with the biggest smile. We grabbed our golf bags and started to leave. One of the guys we were (eventually) going to be paired with says to Geoffrey, “Hey, what’s goin’ on? You taking off?”

And Dr. Childs casually replies, “Yeah, we’re just going to head over to Winged Foot instead.” I didn’t see the guy’s reaction, but Geoff started cracking up as soon as we got to the parking lot. He was so delighted by the Cinderella turn of events. I’m pretty sure that this was also the day that he informed me of a serious health issue he was experiencing, but he was a scientist and (to me at least) was always optimistic about the future. He also knew that if his health kept him off the golf course, he had so many other outlets to enjoy life. I admired that about him.

Anyway, I remember he retold that Split Rock story after Neil passed away, and now that they’re both gone, I guess it’s just my little tale. One of many… 

Geoffrey Childs was a mensch, a warm-hearted and caring friend to me for almost 20 years. I will miss him very much, and I send my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

To our old friends of GCA:  It is rare that I review these pages anymore only as a matter of avoidance of maudlin feelings about no longer being able to play golf or travel due to disabilities.  So, it was on a realization that it has been at least a year that I have looked in here that I followed a notion and opened the page.  Of course I was stunned and deeply saddened to see Tommy's notification about Geoff's passing.  It was within the last few weeks (March 14) that I last had a comment on Facebook from Geoff about some  post I made about a new Italian restaurant that intrigued me in my hometown of Madison.   In Jan and Feb he wrote several encouragements about my most recent health challenges and stay in rehab for broken pelvis.  We didn't communicate much anymore about GCA, although last fall he said he was hopeful to get to be able to walk and play 18 again.  He had just done a 10 hole loop with Micheal Moss as the first time he had been able to play in 3 years since the Lymphoma diagnosis and treatments. He also described a reno DeVries and 'Uncle Joe" were doing in Westchester.

We mostly discussed his love of cooking, Italian food, my standing invite to visit him and destroy Aurther Ave., and how he was doing fighting off shingles, pnuemonia, and food poisoning; along with explanations of pharma and Monoclonal ABs we were both on that I didn't fully understand.  It was my greatest hope that he would complete plans that he and Jane would tour the Amalfi Coast and Naples area of Italy that my family heritage is located, and tips on cool things I experienced there, who to see, what to avoid, etc.  He was still in a hopeful planning mode for their trip last Sept.
 I quoted Tom Dunne's lovely remembrances as they really captured so much of Geoff's persona.  Special thoughts to Mike Cirba, Joe Busch and the east coast fellows that were in Geoff's area and able to spend more time with him.  WE LOST A GREAT ONE IN DR. GEOFF CHILDS.  His Memory is a blessing.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2024, 04:45:11 PM »
Dick Daley,

It is great to see your post. I’m sure I am not the only one here who misses you.

Best Regards,

Tim Weiman

Tim Weiman

Ian Andrew

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2024, 03:23:47 AM »
Lucky to have spent a few different days with Geoff. Great sense of humour. Passion for architecture. Helpfully with information. Just a really nice man. 

-

MCirba

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2024, 03:07:06 PM »

Tommy Naccarato and Noel Freeman gave me the sad news on Friday and I’ve been working through this loss all weekend. It’s a tough one.

Noel was my sponsor when I joined the YGC in 2007, and soon afterward I entered the orbit of the incomparable Dr. Childs. Tommy rightly points to Geoffrey’s advocacy for Yale and Split Rock (in the case of the latter, he was appalled at the graft and resource waste being poured into Ferry Point while Golden Age golf languished just a couple of miles up the road). Geoffrey was from the Bronx and when he got riled up about the way these golf courses were being treated his words could hit like a boxer pounding a heavy bag. But I have to say, golf architecture (and politics) were the only subjects where I ever saw that side of him. Most of the time he was a warm and gentle fellow—he loved talking about the Yankees, or his favorite Arthur Avenue salumerias, or hikes he and Jane (who he truly adored) would go on in the Hudson Valley. He had a fancy straight razor that he tried to sell me on once or twice--maybe because I’m a fellow bald guy! He did meaningful scientific work with Einstein. He was a thoroughly well-rounded person with intelligent perspective on just about anything you’d care to discuss.

I know I’m not alone on this site in having more than a few Dr. Childs golf stories. In the ‘00s, most of my golf with Geoffrey also involved Noel, and those two had a special bond. Playing golf with the two of them was like playing with a couple who have been married for 40 years. Their banter was impossibly dry and hilarious, and Geoffrey always knew the exact moment when Noel’s scorecard was about to go up in flames. After Noel moved to California Geoffrey and I didn’t play as much golf together at Yale—he was also dealing with various injuries and illnesses off and on—but we’d still see each other several times a year at various courses in NY.

One of my favorite Dr. Childs stories… Maybe six or seven years ago he and I went down to tee it up at Split Rock. It was perhaps the first warm, sunny spring morning we’d seen that year, and when we showed up Pelham-Split Rock was absolutely jammed. We pay our green fees, get paired up with another twosome, and then mill around the practice green for the better part of an hour. Our place in the queue was totally uncertain—this is not a high temple of organizational efficiency—but it felt like we might wait all day to get out. Eventually I got impatient and said, “Geoff, this is ridiculous. We need to get out of here. Let’s call Neil [Regan]. Maybe he’ll join us at Mohansic or Saxon.”

Dr. Childs agreed and I call Neil on speaker. He answers and we can immediately hear highway noise in the background. Before we can say much of anything, he says, “Hey! I just got on 684. I’m going down to Winged Foot…want to come out?” Geoffrey’s face lit up with the biggest smile. We grabbed our golf bags and started to leave. One of the guys we were (eventually) going to be paired with says to Geoffrey, “Hey, what’s goin’ on? You taking off?”

And Dr. Childs casually replies, “Yeah, we’re just going to head over to Winged Foot instead.” I didn’t see the guy’s reaction, but Geoff started cracking up as soon as we got to the parking lot. He was so delighted by the Cinderella turn of events. I’m pretty sure that this was also the day that he informed me of a serious health issue he was experiencing, but he was a scientist and (to me at least) was always optimistic about the future. He also knew that if his health kept him off the golf course, he had so many other outlets to enjoy life. I admired that about him.

Anyway, I remember he retold that Split Rock story after Neil passed away, and now that they’re both gone, I guess it’s just my little tale. One of many… 

Geoffrey Childs was a mensch, a warm-hearted and caring friend to me for almost 20 years. I will miss him very much, and I send my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

To our old friends of GCA:  It is rare that I review these pages anymore only as a matter of avoidance of maudlin feelings about no longer being able to play golf or travel due to disabilities.  So, it was on a realization that it has been at least a year that I have looked in here that I followed a notion and opened the page.  Of course I was stunned and deeply saddened to see Tommy's notification about Geoff's passing.  It was within the last few weeks (March 14) that I last had a comment on Facebook from Geoff about some  post I made about a new Italian restaurant that intrigued me in my hometown of Madison.   In Jan and Feb he wrote several encouragements about my most recent health challenges and stay in rehab for broken pelvis.  We didn't communicate much anymore about GCA, although last fall he said he was hopeful to get to be able to walk and play 18 again.  He had just done a 10 hole loop with Micheal Moss as the first time he had been able to play in 3 years since the Lymphoma diagnosis and treatments. He also described a reno DeVries and 'Uncle Joe" were doing in Westchester.

We mostly discussed his love of cooking, Italian food, my standing invite to visit him and destroy Aurther Ave., and how he was doing fighting off shingles, pnuemonia, and food poisoning; along with explanations of pharma and Monoclonal ABs we were both on that I didn't fully understand.  It was my greatest hope that he would complete plans that he and Jane would tour the Amalfi Coast and Naples area of Italy that my family heritage is located, and tips on cool things I experienced there, who to see, what to avoid, etc.  He was still in a hopeful planning mode for their trip last Sept.
 I quoted Tom Dunne's lovely remembrances as they really captured so much of Geoff's persona.  Special thoughts to Mike Cirba, Joe Busch and the east coast fellows that were in Geoff's area and able to spend more time with him.  WE LOST A GREAT ONE IN DR. GEOFF CHILDS.  His Memory is a blessing.

Very well said, Tom and bendelow2.   

You choked me up and made me laugh and smile at the memories.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2024, 04:17:04 PM »
Always good to hear from one of the originals on this board and its predecessors. 

Wishing you good health bendelow2!  Every time I visit Nebraska for golf I think of your course plan there.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back