News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Silly that 16 at Bay Hill is a par 5.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
Kalen,
no doubt if I were to play(well that's out), coach or ref again I'd have to relearn the new rules.
Way back in the day there was a reference to a "step and a half" (I'm sure that was pretty confusing so it morphed to two and now another half (at least)
When a 6 foot kid goes from outside the 3 point line to a layup with no dribble-seems like he might be travelling.

You've obviously only stopped reffing in the past 10-15 years or less if you think they don't travel more now in college and high school than they ever did 30-40 years ago- foot creep-it happens-I'd argue MJ began it.

I've seen all the arguments and videos as to why it's legal, but I'd say it's another example of how something just changed and no one wants to go back-and slick interpretation of the rules has made old schoolers feel dumb so they just climb onboard.

No different than telling a 25 year old that the scale of the game would be better if the hit it 280 rather than 310-seems bonkers to them.

Get off my lawn!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:59:56 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
Jeff,

It'd be same with me.  Its been 20 years or so since I was actively reffing city ball and college intramural games.  Its always been two steps allowed from when I first learned the game as a kid, so I don't know any different from that.

I should also clarify that college ball only seems so much better when you're used to watching NBA ball almost exclusively, but I suspect you are right.

I guess the biggest difference between then and now is.....traveling was still regularly enforced when I ref'd and with the exception of a few grumblers, people accepted the call and moved on....they knew they was busted.  As opposed to now where it seems like players feel entitled to that extra step....or even 4 that I once saw Lebron do in a game without a whistle!  ;)

My Dad was old school, he played high school and college ball back in the 50s and he certainly had his complaints about what the game had evolved to by the 80s.  I know nothing ever stays the same, and to a large part I even accept how much more physical the game has become....but its that darn travelling that I cannot abide!!  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »
Jeff,

Interesting article, that just happens to use Lebron as cannon fodder too!  ;D   But this writer claims the rule has always been two steps. Also explains why as a defender its so brutal trying to guard someone when they're allowed that 3rd step.

http://www.newsweek.com/nbas-extra-step-what-happened-traveling-254154
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:08:30 PM by Kalen Braley »

jeffwarne

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
Jeff,

Interesting article, that just happens to use Lebron as cannon fodder too!  ;D   But this writer claims the rule has always been two steps. Also explains why as a defender its so brutal trying to guard someone when they're allowed that 3rd step.

Kalen, it's not just the extra step-it's dribbling too.
When the person you're defending appears to pick up his dribble (has his hand under the ball) and you committ, and then he dribbles again.
They used to call 98 % of the dribbling you see now carrying .

as if basketball needs MORE offense.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
Jeff,

Kalen, it's not just the extra step-it's dribbling too.
When the person you're defending appears to pick up his dribble (has his hand under the ball) and you committ, and then he dribbles again.
They used to call 98 % of the dribbling you see now carrying .

as if basketball needs MORE offense.

Agreed Jeff,

No way they was getting away with that stuff back in the day, and Kevin Durant probably exploits this the most.  We would whistle a guy for doing that just once coming up the floor....now its pretty much every dribble they hesitate and carry.

While we're at it, we can't forget:
3 in the key - Almost never call this now.
Lane Violations on free throw shots - We were always very strict on this.
5 second rule - Where if you were settled in the half court, you only had 5 seconds to do something with the ball.
Giving the defender space on the throw in.
Not to mention all the massive amounts of contact allowed in pretty much every offensive and defensive set,  with or without the ball.
Even Over the back aka Push from Behind rarely gets called anymore unless you take the guy out.

Its all going to hell in a handbasket!!  ;D

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:03:38 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back