News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Auction to assist architect David Kahn
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »
Some of you may know architect David Kahn of Jackson/Kahn.

His twin 8 year old daughters are battling a rare life threatening disease called Forebatten disease. Sadly there is no cure and is fatal. With out going into the details, more information can be found at http://forebatten.org

David and his wife have stepped up to form a foundation and are having an evening outing at Top Golf in Scottsdale on March 12th sponsored by Tom Fazio and numerous others. The link to this event is https://forebatten.auction-bid.org/microsite/

With all this going on, numerous people have generously donated many auction items with some rare golf adventures. As an example, the Sunnylands estate in Palm Springs has donated a foursome. This course was Walter Annebergs private estate and golf course. Last year the course had less than 20 rounds of golf.

Details for the auction can be found here.

https://forebatten.auction-bid.org/microsite/items

Thanks. I hope to see you there.

Jeff Schley

Re: Auction to assist architect David Kahn
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:52:28 AM »
Always like to help when needed and will bid on some golf for sure.  God bless.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
Happy to help!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen an auction with many of these clubs.

Los Angeles CC
Riviera CC
Oakmont and Laurel Valley
Lost Dunes
Vintage Club
Sand Ridge
Winged Foot
Galloway National
Bandon Dunes
Sunnylands
2 passes to the Masters on Sunday

This is a partial list.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
Great packages indeed.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joey Chase

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »
It's a great cause for a great person.  I had the pleasure of working with David and his Partner Tim on a project last summer, and it was one of the more interesting and fun projects I have been involved in.  Their vision is unique to say the least, and David is an extremely talented artist that I hope to get to work with again.   I wish him all the luck in the world.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
Please read this Golf.com article by Alan Shipnuck to learn more about David's family and Batten disease.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/06/course-designer-david-kahn-wife-search-strength-most-daunting-battle-daughters-lives
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
Please read this Golf.com article by Alan Shipnuck to learn more about David's family and Batten disease.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/06/course-designer-david-kahn-wife-search-strength-most-daunting-battle-daughters-lives

Wow. Sitting at the office crying while reading this article may not be the most productive way to spend an afternoon. Thanks Howard for the link... good luck to the Kahns

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »
Quite a few new auction items including MPCC and Maidstone.

https://forebatten.auction-bid.org/microsite/items[/font]

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
What I have really enjoyed is seeing the certain chain effect of people hearing of this event and then everyone just chipping in and putting up a round here and a round there as they hear about it.  It is great to see when people need help the empathy and compassion really shines through.  I'm pumping up some bids so hopefully will win something, but moreso the Kahn family gets what they need.

BTW what a coincidence Eugene CC just was added a few minutes ago.  Great logo.)
- Steve Prefontaine

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
What I have really enjoyed is seeing the certain chain effect of people hearing of this event and then everyone just chipping in and putting up a round here and a round there as they hear about it.  It is great to see when people need help the empathy and compassion really shines through.  I'm pumping up some bids so hopefully will win something, but moreso the Kahn family gets what they need.

BTW what a coincidence Eugene CC just was added a few minutes ago.  Great logo.)

I’m starting to wish that I could be at the live auction. I’m on a committee that auctioned off the same Bandon package last year for $25K. And the auctioneer sold the package to the two rival bidders. Mike Keiser declined my offer to pay for the cost of the second winner’s prize.

This year we had a corporate matching partner, so that gift from one of the most generous men in golf fetched $100K for Misericordia, a local charity that cares for developmentally disabled children and adults.

Bottom line: It’s good to give back through the game of golf.

William_G

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
+1 selling it twice or three times is a huge gig at live auctions and this cause is worth it

wish I could be there too
It's all about the golf!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »
New auction items from,

Eugene CC
Monterey Peninsula CC (36 holes)
Essex CC

Auction ends on Monday.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
auction ends today

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »
Wow the Silent Auction just closed and things got crazy at the end and never felt so good as this is a great cause!  I was able to walk away with a foursome at Galloway National GC a Fazio course in NJ and then a foursome at Essex County Club a Donald Ross that just celebrated their 100 year anniversary last year.  Looking forward to it and if I need a fourth I'll let you guys know.  :)

Hope the live auction items go for good amounts to help out.  God bless this family and their very cute little girls.
- Steve Prefontaine

William_G

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:25 PM »
well done Jeff

It's all about the golf!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
Great event last night in Scottsdale.  I'm happy to report over $600,000 was raised and a number of people in the tree house participated.

I know architect David Kahn who occasionally reads GCA is most apprecitive and thankful for the golf communities support.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »
Joel,

Great to hear. You’re a good man to help beat the drum for such a worthy cause.

Mike Schott

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
As a parent of a 7 year old, I teared up just reading about this horrific disease. Glad to be fortunate enough to make a contribution.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
There is no way to applaud loudly enough for the courage of this family and the generosity of those who are shoring them up.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
I only recently heard about David's situation. It is heartbreaking. No other word for it. Andy Staples got a bunch of ASGCA members to pitch in, but it never seems enough in these situations. One hopes that what the family is doing will open the door to some type of treatment. This disease is so rare that no one is really motivated to do anything about it. Quite a dilemma.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back