News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Roselle

Golf's Modernized Rules Released
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »

These are a few of the most significant adjustments to the Rules of Golf.  I think the last one is probably the one that will garner most of the attention...If you'd like to see what the Rules will look like in 2019 you can go here: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization.html

Dropping procedure: When taking relief (from an abnormal course condition or penalty area, for example), golfers will now drop from knee height. This will ensure consistency and simplicity in the dropping process while also preserving the randomness of the drop. (Key change: the proposed Rules released in 2017 suggested dropping from any height).

• Measuring in taking relief: The golfer’s relief area will be measured by using the longest club in his/her bag (other than a putter) to measure one club-length or two club-lengths, depending on the situation, providing a consistent process for golfers to establish his/her relief area. (Key change: the proposed Rules released in 2017 suggested a 20-inch or 80-inch standard measurement).

• Removing the penalty for a double hit: The penalty stroke for accidentally striking the ball more than once in the course of a stroke has been removed. Golfers will simply count the one stroke they made to strike the ball. (Key change: the proposed Rules released in 2017 retained the existing one-stroke penalty).

• Balls Lost or Out of Bounds: Alternative to Stroke and Distance: A new Local Rule will now be available in January 2019, permitting committees to allow golfers the option to drop the ball in the vicinity of where the ball is lost or out of bounds (including the nearest fairway area), under a two-stroke penalty. It addresses concerns raised at the club level about the negative impact on pace of play when a player is required to go back under stroke and distance. The Local Rule is not intended for higher levels of play, such as professional or elite level competitions. (Key change: this is a new addition to support pace of play)

David_Elvins

Re: Golf's Modernized Rules Released
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
The Irish Drop is now official.

Interesting they didnt float that for consideration first.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »
I like the changes and shows that some rules were not logical to begin with.  The 2 stoke penalty for lost ball will help speed up play as will ready golf as the standard.  I like the 2 stoke penalty out of a bunker on the same line.  Some high cap players simply can't get out of bunkers.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
MARK IT ONCE on the green is the one I think that should be implemented. It will save 30 minutes on an amateur round of golf.

After your first putt you are not allowed to touch the ball, if its in the direct line of the other player he can ask you to putt out.

No penalty for striking an opponents ball or flagstick.

Saves the time of aligning the ball with hole a second time. Saves the time of remarking.

Much less compaction around the hole.

I like the new two stroke penalty option, will stop a lot of NO RETURNS as well.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Cal Seifert

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
The stroke and distance penalty for out of bounds always bothered me.  My home course has about 10 holes with OB right.  Nice to see they changed it. 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
The stroke and distance penalty for out of bounds always bothered me.  My home course has about 10 holes with OB right.  Nice to see they changed it.

The problem isn't with the rule, it's with your home course. Perhaps you should find a new one.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »

The problem isn't with the rule, it's with your home course. Perhaps you should find a new one.
So every course with 10 holes with OOB right is **** thats a lot of links golf courses gone then including the old lady. :O)
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »

It's still essentially a stroke and distance penalty (as it's TWO shots, not one).  It just doesn't require you to go back to rehit.

I don't understand the attention to shots that are double hit.  How often do any of us actually see this?  Once every couple of years?

A few rules may change but pace of play on television will remain glacial.

WW

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
From what I understand the new OB stakes where you can take a drop instead of returning to the tee will be colored pink. Not that there is anything wrong with that. One thing I won't miss is the tired joke "Second team All-American" after the inevitable well struck provisional ball.

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
I agree with you on the "mark it once" rule, Adrian.

MARK IT ONCE on the green is the one I think that should be implemented. It will save 30 minutes on an amateur round of golf.

After your first putt you are not allowed to touch the ball, if its in the direct line of the other player he can ask you to putt out.

No penalty for striking an opponents ball or flagstick.

Saves the time of aligning the ball with hole a second time. Saves the time of remarking.

Much less compaction around the hole.

I like the new two stroke penalty option, will stop a lot of NO RETURNS as well.

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm not convinced this will change the habits of 80% of the people.  My guess is that most think the rule is to determine where it went out, drop, prefer and pound away. 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »

So every course with 10 holes with OOB right is **** thats a lot of links golf courses gone then including the old lady. :O)

Plenty of room left there. I think the course in question doesn't have that.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
Wait a second....this can't be.  That last bullet point is bifurcation.  The USGA is suggesting bifurcating 'dem rules.

Lowrdy Lard, whats next...different balls? Say it ain't so man!  ;D

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
I don't think I've ever played a regular (i.e., non-tournament) round of golf with anyone anywhere where a player went back to the tee to hit a second if they found their ball OB. Seen plenty of provisional tee shots if they thought the ball was OB, but if it was unexpectedly OB they just drop and play (but are out of the hole for betting purposes). This seems like a common sense change.

Kevin Neary

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
The proposed rules should help to improve pace of play. However, would someone be able to shed some light as to why dropping from knee height is better for the game than shoulder height is? I simply do not understand why changing the height of the drop is necessary when I have never seen any problem with it.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
The proposed rules should help to improve pace of play. However, would someone be able to shed some light as to why dropping from knee height is better for the game than shoulder height is? I simply do not understand why changing the height of the drop is necessary when I have never seen any problem with it.

Since most peoples' hands don't reach to their knees, how does this work? Will we all curtsey as we drop?

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »
Changed days from when we had to drop over our shoulder !

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
I'm guessing the drop height change is to reduce roll always where you have to re-drop....drop from a lower height and the ball has a better chance to stay put. 

Peter Flory

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »
This is so unfair.  I have really high knees. 

Nice to see the double hit penalty go away.  People who suffer the anguish of the double hit really shouldn't have additional penalties sprinkled on top of their embarrassment. 

Rick Lane

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »
I'm a little confused.....so If I double hit my ball, its one stroke?    Or I count them both but its no penalty ON TOP OF THAT....

Peter Flory

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:11 PM »
I'm a little confused.....so If I double hit my ball, its one stroke?    Or I count them both but its no penalty ON TOP OF THAT....

My understanding is that it's just the stroke that you intended.  No penalty... as long as it is accidental. 

Thank goodness they eliminated the loophole of the intentional double hit...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »
I was looking around, and it looks like they "fixed" one of my pet peeves...not being able to fix scuff or spike marks and damage otherwise on the green.

P.S.  Supposedly the original proposal for the drop was 2 inches, but was deemed too close to the ground.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
I have done the double hit on a putt a couple times and a chip shot once.  Weird as you never think it is possible.  I would have thought another rule that is odd and extra penal is if you hit yourself with the ball.  Remember Jeff Mallert at ANGC in the mid 2000's when he didn't clear the lip of a bunker and it hit him.  2 strokes and IMO way too penal, if you just had the wording that no penalty so as the player didn't intentionally get hit with the ball.  With the loosening of the dumb rules like double hits/pin in the hole when putting etc. this would have been another to get rid of.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Chris Roselle

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »
I was looking around, and it looks like they "fixed" one of my pet peeves...not being able to fix scuff or spike marks and damage otherwise on the green.

P.S.  Supposedly the original proposal for the drop was 2 inches, but was deemed too close to the ground.

I wish they would've just gone ahead and made everything a PLACE situation...that would solve a number of issues...

Brian Finn

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
I have done the double hit on a putt a couple times and a chip shot once.  Weird as you never think it is possible.  I would have thought another rule that is odd and extra penal is if you hit yourself with the ball.  Remember Jeff Mallert at ANGC in the mid 2000's when he didn't clear the lip of a bunker and it hit him.  2 strokes and IMO way too penal, if you just had the wording that no penalty so as the player didn't intentionally get hit with the ball.  With the loosening of the dumb rules like double hits/pin in the hole when putting etc. this would have been another to get rid of.
They did.

(3) Ball in Motion Accidentally Deflected Your ball in motion accidentally hits you, your equipment, your caddie, someone attending the flagstick for you or a removed or attended flagstick: There is no longer a penalty (such as when your ball bounces off a bunker face and hits you).
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back