News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Fedeli

Re: Lido- Virtual Build
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2018, 11:01:24 PM »
Peter, I sure hope it’s close to what you’ve got. That back-middle hole location through the center valley looks like a ton of fun to play to.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Peter Flory

« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2018, 04:33:44 AM »
5th hole is pretty much complete. 

From the tee, you want to keep you tee shot at that right edge of the fairway and knock it over the hill to get the best angle in.

Side view of approach (I was able to get the main contours of the green off of certain aerials)

Will try to do the 6th hole next.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2018, 08:12:31 AM »
Peter,

Looking fantastic, can't wait to play the finished product.   Is this going to be available to play on The Golf Club 2019?

Peter Flory

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
Peter,

Looking fantastic, can't wait to play the finished product.   Is this going to be available to play on The Golf Club 2019?

It will be available to play on TGC2, TGC 2019, and the upcoming release of TGC 2019 Protee sim edition (they haven't specified their release date, but it will be out before I'm done with this).  Just a warning though for anyone interesting in playing this, the GPU requirements to play the game at reasonable settings are very high.  GTX 970 or higher I would suggest- basically a gaming computer.  I have a custom made PC connected to my sim, but I also run it off of an MSI laptop with a beefed up GPU.  If you do have a computer like that, you can also play Jim Colton's creations on Perfect Golf, which are amazing. 

For anyone in the midwest, we can arrange some live games on the sim when I'm done.  It would be really fun to play a four ball match and get to know the course from the ground level.  I'll even have a set of hickories available for those who want to get the full monty.  The cost for a round is only 1 bottle of whiskey, which is for the grounds crew. 

ChipRoyce

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
Peter - what's your TGC username? (if searching for courses you've done)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2018, 06:08:13 PM »
Peter - I know I've posted before, but I simply can't get over how really special this work of yours is.
Since I'm too old and/or too old fashioned to even know what TGC or sim editions refer to, let alone play them, my appreciation is purely artistic and historical (and a little bit 'metaphysical'): with great taste and talent you've brought the past into the present, and have, ex nihilo, made manifest Lido's 'spirit' once again.
Wonderful work, and work well worth doing.
Peter   

Matthew Rose

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
I've been strictly a Perfect Golf guy up to this point but have been thinking about checking out TGC as well. These photos have convinced me to give it a serious thought.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2018, 12:55:06 AM »
Peter this is truly talent unfolding for all of us who are not so technologically adept.  I appreciate your passion by putting in hundreds of hours I'm sure thus far, with more on the way.  We almost should crowd fund some reward for you as GCA can appreciate this like few others could.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:54 AM »
Peter this is truly talent unfolding for all of us who are not so technologically adept.  I appreciate your passion by putting in hundreds of hours I'm sure thus far, with more on the way.  We almost should crowd fund some reward for you as GCA can appreciate this like few others could.

I only do this in my free time and I really enjoy the process of it, so it's all good.  If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have ever thought to do it in the first place.  And I've met some really great people so far due to this.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2018, 11:18:20 PM »
Peter--

Do you know if the original Lido occupied any of the land used by RTJ's new (1950-ish) Lido GC that sits just east of the original?  It looks to me like the western boundary of the RTJ Lido sits alongside of where the eastern boundary of CBM's Lido was. 

Any thoughts?

Paul

Peter Flory

« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:28 AM »
Peter--

Do you know if the original Lido occupied any of the land used by RTJ's new (1950-ish) Lido GC that sits just east of the original?  It looks to me like the western boundary of the RTJ Lido sits alongside of where the eastern boundary of CBM's Lido was. 

Any thoughts?

Paul

There was no overlap between the sites. 

Here is a comparison of the old site and the RTJ course.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:05:51 AM by Peter Flory »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
I was out at the RTJ Lido today playing the "new Lido", and I thought I would pull this back up. Here is the new clubhouse with the green awning. The old beachfront of the course is roughly where the pink condos are located in the distance:

They use the original date of "1914" in the RTJ Lido signage:

RTJ did use the channels on the bay side in a few spots:

Surfers out on the water in front of the original Lido GC:

Great thread.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »
Mike--

I am virtually sure that the "pink condos" building is structurally from the clubhouse/hotel that was finished about 10-12 years after the course.  The club took out a mortgage to build it and after The Depression hit, the club deflated on the mortgage and was insolvent.  If you go to google maps and look, the "footprint" of the condo building is in the same location as the clubhouse/hotel an d has the same shape/footprint...4 wings extending out for a central lobby

Best
Paul

Sean_A

« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
It is my understanding that huge building was the "clubhouse", though it is very obvious it was more than a clubhouse. Nevermind the house...look at the green!

Happy New Year
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jeff Schley

« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2019, 02:30:55 AM »
Peter how is it going?  Are you done with the 6th hole? I have developed a real love for this project as I never knew of Lido until this thread started so recreating what was once the best in spectacular VR is really special to many of us.
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2019, 01:10:00 AM »
Peter how is it going?  Are you done with the 6th hole? I have developed a real love for this project as I never knew of Lido until this thread started so recreating what was once the best in spectacular VR is really special to many of us.

Jeff- I haven't done the 6th hole yet.  One of my young sons sustained a really serious eye injury that required 4 operations to repair over a short period of time.  So, all attention was diverted.  But he's in the last phase of his recovery (and doing amazingly well), so I'll be back at it relatively soon. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2019, 01:51:59 AM »

Jeff- I haven't done the 6th hole yet.  One of my young sons sustained a really serious eye injury that required 4 operations to repair over a short period of time.  So, all attention was diverted.  But he's in the last phase of his recovery (and doing amazingly well), so I'll be back at it relatively soon.

Peter you have your priorities right.  Lido has been gone since WWII so we can wait a while longer.  I hope your son recovers well.
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »
+1000%

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »
Mike--

I am virtually sure that the "pink condos" building is structurally from the clubhouse/hotel that was finished about 10-12 years after the course.  The club took out a mortgage to build it and after The Depression hit, the club deflated on the mortgage and was insolvent.  If you go to google maps and look, the "footprint" of the condo building is in the same location as the clubhouse/hotel an d has the same shape/footprint...4 wings extending out for a central lobby

Best
Paul
It is the same building.
Peter, all the best to your son.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Peter Flory

« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:21 PM »
Home sick today.  Killed some time by knocking out the 6th hole (Raynor's Prize Dogleg).  I had one really decent photo from just short of the fairway that shows the fairway bunkers on the right, which are elevated and tilted.  There is a ridge in the fairway past those traps that either kicks the ball safely left and probably made it a 3 shot hole or it could kick the ball to the right for a bit of a short cut.  However, there are some nice green side bunkers that make it difficult to easily put the 2nd shot on the green from this shortcut angle. 

Also, based on some overhead zoom ins, it looks like there was actually some bush clusters in the wasteland that cuts across the fairway short of the green and also a wall of some sort behind the green (I'm assuming to protect the road).  So, I tried to add these quirks.  Here are some pics.

This is a foreshortened view from in front of the tee and elevated so that you can see the tee shot options.  Hit over the traps to the right to get a go at the green in 2.  I accidently connected the right 2 traps and need to touch it up later. 

View from where a safe tee shot would land.  This player would probably aim at the alps in the distance and leave it short of the cross waste area.  The line to the green is right at the right edge of the clubhouse. 

Here is the view from that same player's perspective on the 3rd shot.  Green is slightly elevated and there is a gentle fall off to the left. 

And a better view of the green and the surrounding areas

Peter Flory

« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2019, 01:42:50 AM »
7th hole is now complete, so that makes 1-10 done.  I have 18 about 50% done because I had to contour most of it in parallel with 7.

For 7, this is the Hog's back.  The drive is over the road, then the waste area and finally a perpendicular set of 4 deep bunkers, which are mainly for intimidation it seems.  After that, there is a long hogs back that runs down the fairway and pushes short tee shots to the right towards the sandy dunes that border the fairway and longer ones to the left toward a bunker.  It has an uphil feel to it like the 5th at NGLA.  After that, the ravine has to be cleared on the 2nd shot and then it is slightly uphill again to the green, which has a deep bunker to the left with a lot of gravity. 

Here are some pics:

From the hotel:

Jeff Schley

« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2019, 03:57:06 AM »
Love this software.  It kind of reminds me of Saadiyat Beach Club in Abu Dhabi, a Gary Player design. 

BTW is the prevailing wind from the northwest? 

I found this info from weather.com  https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNY1899:1:US
This will help imagine how difficult some shots are.
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2019, 02:32:24 PM »
I'm not from the area, but my impression from all the reading about this was that the wind really made the course infinitely interesting and that it could come from all directions.  There are accounts of having to play the ball over the Atlantic ocean on the 8th hole because of the wind. 

And yes, this course was extremely difficult with the equipment at the time.  Ted Ray reportedly played well and shot an 82- and then declared it to be his favorite American course.  There is a writing about the 6th hole.  The author thought that it would be a better hole if it were shortened by 30 yards and if the 2nd shot were cleared out so that the player could have a view to the green.  The way that the hole was built, you only could see the top of the flag on the 2nd shot and it appeared as if you were just hitting your ball into a see of sandy hills and rushes.  And then layer a whipping wind on that and consider that you'd be trying to pick a brassie or spoon off of a sandy lie. 

I'll post a 10-hole digital play through later to give you a feel for the struggles of an actual round. 

There are lots of things that I'll want to tweak once I get all the holes built to this current level.  There are certain details that I'm unsure about and will want to get opinions. 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »
I just caught the tail end of special on the Golf Channel, about Lido.  Two guys were walking the site, explaining a bit of the history, pointing out where various holes were located.  Also, they showed computer graphic representations of the holes -- graphics that looked an awful lot like the ones Peter did.  Peter, if you see this, do you know anything about it, and if so, i wonder if they got the idea for the show from your work and this thread?

Peter Flory

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »
I just caught the tail end of special on the Golf Channel, about Lido.  Two guys were walking the site, explaining a bit of the history, pointing out where various holes were located.  Also, they showed computer graphic representations of the holes -- graphics that looked an awful lot like the ones Peter did.  Peter, if you see this, do you know anything about it, and if so, i wonder if they got the idea for the show from your work and this thread?

Yeah, I shared the images and flyovers to help give the piece some color.  Connor was the one that worked with them and he suggested that they incorporate some of these renderings.  I hustled up and completed a lot of the peripheral areas and the 18th hole so that it could be shown. 

Now that it has been aired, I'll post more of the progress... maybe tomorrow if I have time.  I think that the 18th hole turned out really good and I have a much better perspective of why it was considered to be such a great hole after seeing it from all angles. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back