News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Macios

Variety is the spice of life(?) New
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »

Or is it?

aka - I need help deciding on priorities for a trip to North Berwick!

I am spending five nights in North Berwick end of March. I have booked a day at Muirfield, a day plus a third round at NBGC (West Links) and I’m going to play Renaissance at least once.

My question is - should I simply play the West Links as many times as I can over five days; or, should I play as many other courses in the area as possible?

I lean toward “studying” North Berwick, but genuinely curious the opinions of this well-traveled group.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:46:35 PM by Chris Macios »

Jon Wiggett

Re: Variety is the spice of life
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:01:06 AM »

End of March will already have daylight to about 8pm so if you are up to more than 18 holes in a day I would be looking at doing that. If it is an authentic Scottish golfing experience you are after then look at any of the Gullane courses plus Luffness New and a Kilspindie/Musselburgh Old Links is a high recommended combo.

As an aside. I have only seen Renaissance during construction so maybe I am doing it a disservice but though I can understand wanting to play it once I am not sure if I would pass up playing one of the many other very good courses in the area.

Jon

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
I'll leave it to others for the golf, but save time for Archie Baird's museum at Gullane. The DaVinci Code's Rosslyn Church is also close.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
Chris

Presumably by NBGC you mean North Berwick Golf Course ? FYI, NB has two full size courses, namely the famous West Links which is the one I think you are referring to and the other is The Glen (as I think it is referred to) on the other side of town played over by the Glen Golf Club. The West Links is played over by North Berwick Golf Club, Tantallon Golf Club and the Bass Rock Golf Club (if it's still going).

Anyway, if you refer to North Berwick or the West Links, most golfers will know where you are talking about. While it is great fun and has some really interesting and historic holes I'm not sure I'd major on it to the exclusion of the other surrounding courses.

As to your question, I think the Renaissance is an excellent course with a whiff of eccentricity/quirk. If you do play it I strongly suggest that you also play the 3 practice holes that were in the original routing. While the course is excellent it is v. expensive, relatively speaking and therefore possibly not the best value for money although in the context of your overall trip that might not be that big an issue.

All the Gullane courses are well worth a play with No. 2 being a slightly shorter version of No. 1 and with fewer bunkers while No. 3 is that bit shorter again and the sort of course that is ideal if you are a bit tired of beating your brains in with the big guns. Which is not to say it is easy, its not, as it has a few tricky holes and it is easy to leave yourself a difficult chip/approach. All the Gullane courses offer panoramic views if that is your thing, and they also have (IMHO) the best turf of any course in Scotland that I've played.

Other candidates in the area are Luffness New which lies adjacent to Gullane and has some beautifully subtle greens and old fashioned cross bunkering. It also shares the same turf as Gullane. The other one I think mentioned is Kilspindie which is charming. Similar to Gullane No. 3 in that it won't beat you up but great fun.

Niall

ps. re Archie Baird's museum - well worth seeing if you are into the history of the game however it is by appointment with Archie Baird who put it together. You might want to contact the club (Gullane) to ask about the arrangements if you want to pay it a visit.

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Chris,

I highly recommend Gullane #1 and a trip to the old Musselburgh Links is time well spent.

Enjoy, and bring some band-aids for your feet because you'll feel like playing sun-up to sun-down in that glorious terrain.   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back