News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Will there be another King's Putter?
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:58:40 PM »
I don't know the answer. Haven't heard of anything in a planning stage.

Rich Goodale

Re: Will there be another King's Putter?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:59:59 AM »
Pete

If somebody can step up to the plate for a KP in the Bay area, I'll be there in October on other things and love to participate and help organize and herd the cats.  How about centering on the "Bob Huntley  Memorial" theme.  Maybe it will bring the Papazians, Naccaratos and Huckabees ,etc. out of the hiding and work with the Lavalees, Cohns, Teppers, etc. who still post on GCA.  Lots of venue opportunities, if imagination and conviction and nostalgia combine.

Keep in touch

Rich

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
You guys should play Aetna Springs.  I'm not sure how many more years it is going to be there, but it's worth seeing, and I'm sure they can find space for y'all.

I would love to attend but I have no idea how many trips I'll have to make this fall - or where to?

Peter Galea

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »
You guys should play Aetna Springs.  I'm not sure how many more years it is going to be there, but it's worth seeing, and I'm sure they can find space for y'all.

I agree.
Aetna Springs is one of my favorites. Pure golf, strategy required, no cell service, no houses.
I'm going there today, and I'll see if I can find out what the new owner has in mind.
"chief sherpa"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:20:09 AM »
I am 100% in on Aetna Springs if it can be arranged.  Pure golf.  Mr. Doak.  Proximity to great food, great wine, the Pacific Ocean, and many GCA-interesting relatively unknown tracks..  Best weather for the Bay Area.  Ticks a lot of boxes.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 05:20:19 AM »
Can the King be enticed from his lair?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »
Pete it seems you are going to have to move to Minnesota so you can play in the Midwest knock out and the John Deere vs. International Harvester cup.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
Aetna Springs sounds like a great choice. Let’s see what Pete G can find out about them hosting us.

A tribute for Sir Bob would be appropriate. If that lures some past participants all the better.

Spring events have had low participation the last few years so October sounds good to me.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »
If that lures some past participants all the better.

Spring events have had low participation the last few years so October sounds good to me.

And new participants from fancy Goat Hill GC :)

Spring is easier for me, but don't count on me...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »

I agree.
Aetna Springs is one of my favorites. Pure golf, strategy required, no cell service, no houses.
I'm going there today, and I'll see if I can find out what the new owner has in mind.
Hidden Valley Lake GC is an interesting public 18 hole near there that could be added. If somebody has connections there is a super private cc in Middletown called Langtry Farms that would be nice too.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Peter Galea

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
The day I went up Aetna was closed, only the pros car in the lot. I have tried contacting the superintendent but to no avail.
I'l be back up that way in a week or so and will try again.

Langtry Farms is no more. They lost the pump house in the Valley fire September 2015 and decided not to reopen.
"chief sherpa"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »
I was privileged to live, learn and work in the Bay Area for most of the 1964-1987 period of my life, and then again in the 2000-2002 period.  As to former, it was Nirvana.  As to the latter, to paraphrase Yeats, "All was changed, changed utterly.  A terrible beauty was born."

The King's Putter was born in that latter period, and now it seems to be no more.  As does Aetna Springs.  I'll still be the area in mid-October (hopefully!).  A game or even just a beverage or three somewhere to celebrate the life of Bob Huntley with old and new friends there and then would be appreciated, but if not, c'est la vie.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
As to the latter, to paraphrase Yeats, "All was changed, changed utterly.  A terrible beauty was born."
::)

A reference to Sir Huntley is all you needed.  I am in.  Stake out the dates and I'll help Pete L put something together in the Bay area.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
Bump. There might be some interest in the Rolling Hills thread as a potential KP venue.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:15:10 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »

Bump. There might be some interest in the Rolling Hills thread in a potential KP venue..
Tim,
It is not as much a question about the venue. Rather it is finding someone to climb into the driver's box and get this stagecoach in motion.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »

Bump. There might be some interest in the Rolling Hills thread in a potential KP venue..
Tim,
It is not as much a question about the venue. Rather it is finding someone to climb into the driver's box and get this stagecoach in motion.

Anyone better than you?  I'll nominate if you are campaigning.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
No, I am not campaigning, I am a terrible organizer. Hoping someone further south than OR,WA, BC picks up. Lots of chiefs for the Mashie, Buda, Dixie, but it looks like California is missing since Max started serving.

William_G

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
2017 was a great success, following on the success of 2016, lots of happy folks and I was happy to organize at Bandon and Eugene

as many know, getting those first tee times of the day at great courses is very civilized

what a great group of  folks and many enjoyed the Sheep Ranch as well

yet herding cats is more difficult than ever  8)

always happy to host

It's all about the golf!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »
October in CA works for me as it's overseeding season here in " The Valley of the Sun"
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »

Tim,

Jeremy Blumberg showed interest in the KP in the Rolling Hills thread and asked for more info. Maybe he and some of the KP Socal vets can put something together if not this year maybe next. I would think a KP with Rolling Hills as a venue would draw a lot of interest.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
Posted to the Feature Interiew thread Ran currently has at the top of the discussion group.

Thanks for the interview Ran.

Until now, all I have heard was that Fircrest was the most true to original Macan out there. It certainly appears that Jeff is doing great research for the work he does as he certainly appears to have disproved that. Great job Jeff!

On another note, Overlake, Fircrest, Broadmoor, and Inglewood would make a great Kings Putter event in April should you choose to organize it Jeff. ;D

Buda organized by archies Ally and Robin at Carne and Enniscrone, with addtional rounds at Strandhill and Roses Point was the best event I have attended.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »
Jeff's response:

Thanks Garland.

That's a good idea, re a King's Putter event, too. I think we should wait a bit until we're finished with more work at those courses though. I'll keep it in mind!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back