News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: Reunderstanding Ross
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2021, 05:28:37 AM »
I wish this thread were pinned to the top of the message board. As the dean of "Your golf course is not a Donald Ross course" here in Florida, I reference it a lot.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

V_Halyard

« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »
I wish this thread were pinned to the top of the message board. As the dean of "Your golf course is not a Donald Ross course" here in Florida, I reference it a lot.
Don't drive angry...

"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »
You can bookmark the thread, and then the overpinning won't be necessary.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
Here is a proposed sketch plan dated 1922 for Petersham Golf Club in Petersham, Massachusetts. This course no longer exists.

Here is a link for those who would like a closer look:

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:qv33tc04p

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »
Bretton Woods-Mount Washington Golf Course:

This course is listed as a 1915 design, but the work wasn’t completed until later and the course was opened in 1921.  Here are a few articles detailing some of Ross’ work at Mount Washington and announcing the opening. 

In the Tufts Archives there are drawings for all 18 holes of the “Bretton Woods” course. The drawings match up with what the first article is telling us.  Ross built an entirely new nine (the back nine) and altered many of the original holes on the front, but did retain the first hole and some of the features and routing of Holes 13-16 for his 4th through 7th holes.

The original Mount Pleasant nine was broken off in 1921 and called the Mount Pleasant course again, making 27 holes in total.

The White Mountain Echo., September 04, 1920:

Announcement of the opening match on August 21, 1921:

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2022, 08:33:24 AM »
Including an 18-hole routing map for Whippoorwill Country Club from 1927.  Also including a letter from Ross dated 1928.  Shortly after this course was completed, Charles Banks redesigned the golf course using additional land not previously available to Ross. The Banks design does incorporate some of the original Ross holes into the design.

Courtesy of the United States Department of Interior, National Park Service, Frederick Law Olmsted Historic Site:

Link to the map:

https://flic.kr/p/2kNfmKJ

Ross Letter dated March 14, 1928:

Courtesy of the United States Department of Interior, National Park Service, Frederick Law Olmsted Historic Site
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 01:09:47 PM by Bret Lawrence »

MCirba

« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2022, 03:24:39 PM »
This may be a new one.   Two summers ago Tom Dunne and I had played Sugarloaf Resort in Maine and rather than subsequently quit the game ;) , we decided to squeeze in nine holes elsewhere before the dinner event.   We had heard good things from Michael Moore about Mingo Springs Golf Course, about 1/2 hour away which is today made up of (I believe) 2 of the 3 courses listed in this article.   Mr. Moore indicated that both nines were worthy but that the front nine (which I believe is the 3rd nine mentioned in the article) was pretty special.

I had done some preliminary research and the oldest course listed had origins from Arthur Fenn but I'm not 100% it's the 1st course mentioned here.   In any case, this June 6th, 1954 Boston Globe article indicates that at least one of the courses there was designed by Donald Ross and  I would say neither Tom nor I would have much reason for doubt as it was a wild and wooly affair that used the terrain magnificently.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 04:24:07 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »
Minneapolis Golf Club (Minneapolis, MN) - 18 Holes, Remodel in 1920, Still in Existence

Not included in the 1930 Ross Booklet.

June 24, 1920 Star Tribune -

The Givens site has a map of the course, but the 1917 notation predates Ross' involvement.

Course Plan -

An update to the post on Minneapolis GC.  Copied below is the Ross plan for the early 1920's improvements.

May 15, 1921 Minneapolis Journal -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Challenger

« Reply #283 on: November 03, 2022, 01:55:00 PM »
Here is some info on Donald Ross and Indian Hill Club in the early 1920s.

In the Chicago Tribune on May 6, 1921, Joe Davis reports that "Ross will visit the Oak Park Country club today to look over the course, and about May 20 will inspect Indian Hill."

In American Golfer on May 21, 1921, it is reported that "Ross will return to Chicago shortly and spend a couple of days at the Indian Hill Country Club."

In Donald Ross's book "Golf Has Never Failed Me..." Indian Hill Club is listed as "Remodeled 1914 and 1922."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back