News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bret Lawrence

Re: Reunderstanding Ross
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2019, 12:00:50 AM »

More articles on Kanawaki from Canadian Golfer., April 1919:

Canadian Golfer., September, 1921:

Canadian Golfer., March 1922

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:10:32 AM by Bret Lawrence »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »

The article above does a good job of explaining the work at Rosedale in Toronto, but here are a few more. "The Activities of 1919" included after the second Rosedale article is interesting too.

Canadian Golfer., March 1919:

Canadian Golfer., April 1919

Canadian Golfer., April 1922

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

A few brief mentions of Ross' work for three Winnipeg clubs; St. Charles, Pine Ridge and Elmhurst.

Canadian Golfer., April 1919:

Canadian Golfer., May 1919:

A little more info on Elmhurst Golf Club.
Canadian Golfer., October 1919:

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »
Two more articles mentioning Lambton Golf and Country Club and Algonquin Golf course, St. Andrews, N.B.

Canadian Golfer., January 1922:

Canadian Golfer., April 1922:

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
This sums up what I have initially found on Ross in the Canadian Golfer. There were a few articles on Banff as well, but I didn't include those as it has already been covered in this thread and the articles I found  didn't add much.  I'd imagine there are many more articles discussing Ross and his work in Canada that could be found with additional searches or a thourough reading. Here are a few more general articles and one mention of Asheville Country Club.

Canadian Golfer., April 1918:

Ross discussing "Long Courses"
Canadian Golfer., July 1919

Ross' Timetable for Pinehurst #2
Canadian Golfer., May 1921

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
One quick addition to the list.

Lakewood CC in Cleveland would eventually be designed by A. W. Tillinghast, but prior to his involvement it appears that the club was contemplating hiring Ross.

Feb. 11, 1922 American Contractor -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
Another bit of a mystery for the list.

The current Cranwell Resort course began its life in 1925 as the Wyndhurst Club, with plans for 18 holes. 

Although Ross was one of the architects contemplated for the original design, the work was done by Stiles and Van Kleek.

April 19, 1925 Palm Beach Post -

May 3, 1925 Brooklyn Daily Eagle -

Nov. 6, 1925 Berkshire Eagle -

In 1931 the course was being operated by Pinehurst, Inc., with Richard Tufts planning to purchase the property and have Donald Ross build three new holes to replace holes lying on a neighboring parcel.  I have not yet found any evidence noting that these new holes were built.

Sept. 10, 1931 Berkshire Eagle -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2019, 12:15:56 PM »
An addendum to the 1921 Listing (I've exceeded the allowable space in that post).

Two articles discussing the new Jefferson-Lakeside CC course in Richmond, VA.

April 23, 1922 The Times Dispatch -

May 14, 1922 The Times Dispatch -

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:46:56 PM by Sven Nilsen »

MCirba

« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2019, 04:08:52 PM »
Sven,

If I'm not mistaken they are referring to what is today known as Belmont Golf Club (formerly Hermitage CC), which is also at risk of disappearing.

The Jefferson-Lakeside course is just northwest of there.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »
Thanks Mike.  The correct article is now posted.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Another addition to the 1921 Listing, this time covering the CC of Virginia and noting plans for Ross to expand the existing 18 hole course and add 9 additional holes.

April 1, 1921 -

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
Two clips from 1918 and 1919 comparing Ross' income to other professionals:
Evening Public Ledger-February 19, 1918

Evening Public Ledger-December 22, 1919

Another article on his income from later on in his career. 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

Translates to $420-$840K in 2019 dollars. 
Frugal Scott. Stayed in a modest house, albeit in Pinehurst on one of his courses, rather than buy the requisite McMansion that would be expected these days. ;)
And, $80K in 1947 from the last article would be worth $1.13M today.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2019, 11:06:18 AM »
Sven -

About the articles above regarding the plans for various municipal courses in Atlanta, I don't think any of them were built. Ross didn't do a municipal course. If S&VK did one, which I doubt, the name has since changed.

The current site of P'tree GC would not have been one of the sites considered by Ross during his 1926 tour. It would have been too far north. My guess is that they were looking at sites near P'tree Battle Creek (then called P'tree Creek). It might be the current site of the Bobby Jones Golf Course, formerly a city course now redone and owned by the state, that has several holes on the creek.

Bob

Following up on this response from earlier in the thread.  Seems like the "Peachtree" site Ross examined was just south of Haynes Manor, which would put it at the location of the Bobby Jones Municipal Course.

Nov. 14, 1926 Atlanta Constitution -

As an aside, Stiles and Van Kleek were heavily involved with Atlanta's municipal courses.  They designed Bobby Jones GC, John White GC and Ragsdale Park GC, revised James Key GC and Piedmont Park GC and had a hand in the Candler Park course.

BCrosby

« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2019, 11:59:38 AM »
Good find, Sven. Agreed, the reference must be to the location of the current Bobby Jones course, not built until the early thirties by S&V. It is not a surprise that Ross liked the soil at the site as it is mostly flood plain.  As recently as last month the course was under about a foot of water after a prolonged rain.

Ross' tour of Atlanta sites in 1926 was seen as a big deal and well covered by the Atlanta newspapers. Have you come across anything more on his tour? I seem to recall reading that there was a host committee for his visit and that O.B. Keeler was on the committee. I also seem to recall that Keeler (or possibly someone else) wrote an account of the Ross visit in which he talked about the great Donald Ross and named several of his famous courses. No mention is made of East Lake. When researching the origins of East Lake several years ago, I was struck by the "dog that didn't bark" aspect of the account. I would love to see anything you come across related to that.

Thanks, Bob   

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2019, 07:17:22 PM »
Bob:

East Lake #1 is covered in post #30 on page 2 of the thread.

Sven

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »

I thought I would include this article in the thread.  This was written by George F. Clark, describing some experiences while building golf courses for Willie Park Jr. and Donald Ross.  It pertains mostly to Willie Park, but does mention Ross too.

Canadian Golfer., December 1921:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
Tucked at the end of the following article on Cherokee CC in Tennessee is a reference to Ross doing work at Tuxedo in New York.  This is the only instance I've seen of him being connected to that course.

Dec. 22, 1919 Journal and Tribune -

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
Glenburnie is noted above in the 1915 listing.  The Glenburnie Inn was a relatively well-known Lake George vacation spot on the northeastern shore of Lake George (located just below Anthony's Nose).  The Inn no longer exists, but the Glenburnie cottage community is still there as is the Glenburnie Club which has a 5 hole course (aerial copied below).

The only reference I've found to Ross at Glenburnie comes from the Feb. 7, 1936 Berkshire Eagle article below:

MCirba

« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
Another unknown Ross project.  The DRS notes Ross working at Palmetto in Aiken in 1928 (adding in an irrigation system).  It makes sense that he visited Highland Park as well while this work was going on.

Nov. 1, 1929 Aiken Standard -

Sven,

Not sure if it was noted that Highland Park is today's Aiken Golf Club.

Great thread here, thanks.

MCirba

« Reply #245 on: August 23, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
It may or may not be related but the effort to convert Aiken Golf Club's (aka Highland Park) greens from sand to grass was ongoing by 1928 and supposedly completed that summer.

However, the course did not begin advertising the fact that they had grass greens until 1932 which seems odd.

I suspect Ross was consulted in 1929 and assisted in that effort.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:44:22 AM by MCirba »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2019, 10:08:27 AM »
Fort Myers CC is covered above in the 1916 listing, but I wanted to include this March 6, 1918 News-Press article as it contains a description of the course penned by Ross himself.  His thoughts on working with a flat site and the importance of variation and undulation, particularly on the greens, have some resonance today. 

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »

Brightwood Golf & Country Club (Dartmouth, NS, CAN) - 9 Holes, New in 1934, Still in Existence

2018 DRS Update - Now noted as 9 Holes New in 1921 and 9 Holes Remodeled in 1921

Another Canadian project.

Sven, let me chime in with how incredible this effort has been on your part. It must surely have been a labor of love for which we owe you many thanks.

As a former member of Brightwood I would like to add some info on the above entry if I may. When I joined Brightwood in the early 1990s there was very little awareness of who was responsible for the design of the course, but the name Willie Park was found on some material used by the club. It was not until somewhat later that the club used any Ross references, though now they cite him frequently as the principal architect.

The club website now has a history which they either commissioned or was gifted to them, I do not know:
https://www.brightwoodgolf.ca/about/

Since past versions of the site had a bad habit of disappearing without a trace I will reproduce the text below:

"Brightwood Golf & Country Club was established in 1914 and has been a place for great golf, great friends and great memories ever since. The course is a Donald Ross and Willie Park Jr. design – and the only 18 hole course by these designers. Located in the heart of Dartmouth and minutes from downtown Halifax gives Brightwood the unique ability to be both an oasis and close to the city.   

In 1913, Dartmouth golfers faced the challenge of taking a ferry or going on a long car trip around the harbor if they were to use the golf links at Gorsebrook in Halifax. On January 6th, 1914 an investment group formed and incorporated the name Brightwood Golf Club. They then purchased an eighty-acre site referred to as Mount Thom for $40,000.

The original nine-hole course was laid out in 1914. The Brightwood course used an old residence on the property, built by architect Henry Elliot, as the first clubhouse. The property offered excellent vistas of the Halifax and the Bedford Basin. The course was officially opened by Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden on July 3, 1914. Unfortunately, the course was not ready for play and Borden only drove a ball off the first tee. The course opened two weeks later for play on July 17th, 1914. 

The course was updated by British Open Champion Willie Park Jr. In July 1919 in Canadian Golfer magazine it was reported, “He was rearranging the links while there.” In the same article Willie Park Jr. told Ralph Reville of Canadian Golfer, “The situation at Brightwood is very fine, and they will have a first-class golf course when the suggested alterations are carried out.”

A local Halifax writer would write, “Probably the view that impresses artists and lovers of scenic beauty most, is that obtained from the highest point on the course. Gazing southward the view is magnificent. In the foreground is the panorama of the golf course, the green of the trees contrasting with the vivid emerald of the velvety greens and the darker green of the rough. 

Beyond this fine sweep of country, sparkles the entrance of the harbor and the blue Atlantic. On Saturday the white sails of the yachts and other boats made the water seem more blue and the angry surf can be seen leaping up at the foot of the picturesque lighthouse on Meager’s Beach and hurling itself against Chebucto Head which gleamed purple and gold in the bright sunlight.”

In 1921, designer Donald Ross was hired to help the club expand to eighteen holes. He presented a plan to the Brightwood Golf & Country Club that included a second nine holes as well as a redesign of the original nine holes. This plan was adopted. But the work would not be completed in the mid 1920’s. In September 1921, C.E. Creighton of the club told Canadian Golfer, “We expected to have been on our new nine holes before this, but the weather has been so dry and the new turf has not grown in as expected., consequently we will play on our old nine until late in the season.” 

In December 1922 Canadian Golfer mentions that Halifax is building a new 18-hole golf course at Brightwood, in Dartmouth. Reville mentions, “They are carting away rocks and cutting down trees to make an eighteen.” This work clearly took time to accomplish because it wasn’t until August 1924 Brightwood Golf and Country Club became the first club in the Maritimes to furnish its members with an 18-hole course. The following is from a review on the course in Canadian Golfer in March of 1926: “Brightwood Golf and Country Club, at Dartmouth across the harbor from Halifax, draws its membership from both Halifax and Dartmouth. Its second nine holes wore put into play during the summer of 1924 and have fully justified the generous expenditure involved in carving them out of the forest primeval.

The course has an entirely different character being on high ground at 350 sea level and affording magnificent overlooks of the Bedford Basin.” The article continues later, “The course measures 5,750 yards.” It goes on to share some observations on the golf course, “A tricky situation confronts the player at the No. 2 hole with its wide ravine and misleading slopes. At No. 7 the player faces a green which at a little distance slope sharply, giving the new player the curious impression that he is driving straight into the Atlantic Ocean.” The first Men’s Nova Scotia Amateur Championship was conducted in 1927 at the Brightwood Golf and Country Club. Dartmouth native and Brightwood member Frank Miekle won the first amateur with a round of 81 – 73 – 73 – 73 – 300. In 1959 the Brightwood CC purchased 450 acres on the Porto Bello property but never did expand or build on that site. The 1921 Donald Ross layout of the golf course remains to this day."

The dates noted are partly in line with those cited in a book by James A. Barclay, "Golf In Canada" (McClelland & Stewart Inc., 1992) which mentions the Park involvement but does not mention Ross despite having other references to his work in Canada. As you note, the DRS list has Brightwood as a 1921 Ross project (it may even be the source of the above). I also note that the Tufts Archive holds a "Collection of 22 Field Survey Books by Rassie Wicker, with dates from 1925 to 1967" relating to Brightwood.

Given the challenges of the piece of ground he had to work with - a small parcel of very hilly and rocky property - it is remarkable that a playable 18-hole course was delivered. Over the years various greens committees have of course added bunkers, planted trees, and done the usual sorts of things that they feel are worthwhile. In my opinion none of them has added much value. In more recent times the biggest change was the repositioning of the 5th green further away from the property boundary to reduce the number of balls (and resulting liability) landing on adjacent residential properties that were constructed there in the 1960s and '70s, and adding several very tall netting arrays around parts of the boundary to prevent more of the same in other areas.

A 1963 aerial photo is the earliest I could find online of the course but is still instructive in showing how it was constrained as the city grew around it. To orient the viewer, #1 tee is to the immediate right of the clubhouse in the photo, playing to a green at the bottom of the frame; #9 tee is behind the clubhouse, playing in the opposite direction, and #18 green is to the left of the clubhouse. The right side of the photo shows the 5th hole without the residential properties along the boundary fence that would later necessitate the relocation of the green. This also shows the original clubhouse that was destroyed by fire later in the 1960s and what was then a dirt parking lot, paved and expanded at some later date.

Once again, many thanks for your work.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:49:12 AM by Greg Beaulieu »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
Anyone familiar with this proposed Ross project in Whiteville, NC?

March 11, 1946 Wilmington Morning Star -

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:49:39 AM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
Another proposed course that never got off the ground, this time a second course for Indian Spring GC.

March 5, 1922 Washington Herald -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back