News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

As a reminder, I have the Mashie. :)   
It will be headed to the Northland Country Club in August.
See: Thread Pat Craig's Thread Here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65480.0.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:33:17 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tom_Doak

Re: 2018 Midwest Mashie Proposed Planning Date - Sept 14 -16, 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
If you want to play at The Loop, I will be happy to try to arrange it, but they likely have a fair number of rooms already booked for weekend dates in mid-September so I would have to check what's available.  They do have several houses for rent, which probably aren't rented that far in advance.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
Yom Kippur is in the 9/18-9/19 range for 2018. I haven't seen anything about Dixie Cup yet.

As a reminder, here's where we've been:

2010 - Lost Dunes, Michigan
2011 - Lawsonia, Wisconsin
2012 - Kingsley Club, Michigan
2013 - Broadmoor, Indiana
2014 - Canterbury, Ohio
2015 - Windsong Farm / Town & Country, Minnesota
2016 - Wolf Run, Indiana
2017 - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The big missing state in this lineup is Illinois. Clearly, there are issues in finding a place to play in the Chicagoland area for a price point of where the Mashie has historically been. And that assumes the club would even want us, as it's not like their courses are empty on weekends.

Sand Valley's resort rate for 2018 is $205 during that time. I'm sure if a package could be arranged similar to what was arranged at Streamsong for 2017's Dixie Cup, there would be a lot of interest, despite the added cost. If we've got people on the inside that can discount that further, even better. The rate drops to $155 on Oct. 1st, but weather gets iffy that time of year that far north. Just look at the 2014 Mashie in Cleveland. It was 80's the weekend before, then 40's when we played Canterbury.

The question I got asked the most at this year's Iowa Mashie was where the Mashie was going next. These things aren't up to me, but I feel like the Mashie needs to return to Michigan soon, if a Chicagoland miracle is just that. I would be all for a Mashie at the Loop, playing alternate routes during the weekend, and playing Forest Dunes as a pre-cursor.

I'd love to see Columbus CC in Ohio host after their renovation is complete, but I have no skin in that game. I think that would still be a couple years off, if the club was even interested in hosting.

I'll just throw this out there: you would not have to twist my arm to go back to MSP.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:35:32 PM by Criss Titschinger »

V_Halyard

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »
Michigan sounds good.
I will lean on Pat, Jason, Terry et al to help stack a West team so we can keep the Mashie west of the Lake.

There is nice activity at the Ross at Northland/Duluth that would benefit from having a group of GCAers within distance for a drive by prior to them beginning work mid September. 
Stay tuned for more news about this project.

Road Trip.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:46:52 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
If you want to play at The Loop, I will be happy to try to arrange it, but they likely have a fair number of rooms already booked for weekend dates in mid-September so I would have to check what's available.  They do have several houses for rent, which probably aren't rented that far in advance.

Thanks Tom,
Maybe the Wolver/Sparties can help us with suggestions?
Ben? Jason?
I'm out of my depth on the East side of Lake Michigan.

V_Halyard

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »
Yom Kippur is in the 9/18-9/19 range for 2018. I haven't seen anything about Dixie Cup yet.

As a reminder, here's where we've been:

2010 - Lost Dunes, Michigan
2011 - Lawsonia, Wisconsin
2012 - Kingsley Club, Michigan
2013 - Broadmoor, Indiana
2014 - Canterbury, Ohio
2015 - Windsong Farm / Town & Country, Minnesota
2016 - Wolf Run, Indiana
2017 - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The big missing state in this lineup is Illinois. Clearly, there are issues in finding a place to play in the Chicagoland area for a price point of where the Mashie has historically been. And that assumes the club would even want us, as it's not like their courses are empty on weekends.

Sand Valley's resort rate for 2018 is $205 during that time. I'm sure if a package could be arranged similar to what was arranged at Streamsong for 2017's Dixie Cup, there would be a lot of interest, despite the added cost. If we've got people on the inside that can discount that further, even better. The rate drops to $155 on Oct. 1st, but weather gets iffy that time of year that far north. Just look at the 2014 Mashie in Cleveland. It was 80's the weekend before, then 40's when we played Canterbury.

The question I got asked the most at this year's Iowa Mashie was where the Mashie was going next. These things aren't up to me, but I feel like the Mashie needs to return to Michigan soon, if a Chicagoland miracle is just that. I would be all for a Mashie at the Loop, playing alternate routes of the weekend, and playing Forest Dunes as a pre-cursor.

I'd love to see Columbus CC in Ohio host after their renovation is complete, but I have no skin in that game. I think that would still be a couple years off, if the club was even interested in hosting.

I'll just throw this out there: you would not have to twist my arm to go back to MSP.

9-7- 9/9 is viable as well

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »

9-7- 9/9 is viable as well

Not for me, as I will just be getting back from a European trip with my wife on the 9th.  That next weekend would be perfect for me, though.

John McCarthy

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »
The Chicagoland publics would be easy and if there would be a Keith Foster doubleheader (Elgin Highlands and Shepherd's Crook) I am not sure there are two stouter municipals in an area. 

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
Let the conversation begin. I have heard The Loop in the chatter as well as a number of others.

Count me in + 1 if the The Loop is selected for Sept 14-16.  I'm local (Det metro) and can assist with planning if necessary.

We had a group of eight play The Loop Black on Sept 15 this year and the course / weather was ideal.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:36:00 AM by Ryan Taylor »
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

V_Halyard

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Thanks and stay tuned. Sorting out a number of access details.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »
You can tell its below freezing in most parts of the U.S. as we're all jonesing to play and planning golf trips.

Would Kansas be too out of the way for most Mashie participants? If so, I like Michigan and the dates proposed.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »
Would Kansas be too out of the way for most Mashie participants?

If it's Wichita/Hutchinson or KC metro, no. Otherwise, yes.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
I would likely attend if medically-approved carts are available, and I don't break any spending records in the next month +.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:10:49 AM »

I'm talking Wichita/Hutchinson. Could try and line up something at Prairie Dunes

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
I confirmed yesterday that Forest Dunes has rooms for at least 32 golfers and open tee times on The Loop for the Saturday and Sunday.  They will provide a package price for the event if requested.

I'm traveling the next two weeks starting Monday, but am happy to have them get back to someone else in the interim if there's someone that wants to take the reins for organizing.

George Freeman

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
Pat Craig and Ran are working up something for 2018 (with an assist from Vaughn).

Stay tuned!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Buck Wolter

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
With the last 3 posts maybe we need more than 1 this year
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

V_Halyard

There are some very interesting opportunities in the works.
Please stay tuned as details are worked out over the next couple of weeks.
Thanks!

Current keeper of the Mashie.

Vaughn
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:53:32 PM by V_Halyard »

Tyler Kearns

Count me in, looking forward to it wherever the Mashie is played.

Tyler

Evan Fleisher

Interested...for sure!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Morgan Clawson

I'm talking Wichita/Hutchinson. Could try and line up something at Prairie Dunes

That would be amazing.   :o

V_Halyard

As a reminder, I have the Mashie.   It will be headed to the Northland Country Club in August.See: Ran's Update Here http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65478.0.html[/font][/size][/font][/size]More news to Follow from Pat![/color]

Tyler Kearns

Vaughn,

Great news, please count me in for the 2018 Mashie at Northland.

Tyler

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back