News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack Carney

BUNKERS REVISITED - Why do we need bunkers (on most courses)?
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »
Back in November I responded to the thread “Why do we need bunkers (on most courses)?” by making the comment that “The best bunkers really help define the golf hole and the shots required. This could be a part of appearance or cosmetic but I think an important distinction.”
At which point Sean A and Peter Lavallee ask me a couple of question about what I meant to which I responded “I was really making a much more generic thought. The lines, slopes derived from and color differences (sand and shadows) of a well-placed bunker indicates or defines the shot required. As I was relating this could be included in ones thoughts of being cosmetic, general appearance and even strategy. I think of definition as a part of all the above in a way. The well placed bunker literally helps define the shot required. Much more obvious, and the reverse of, the fairway. Nothing enlightening here. As the question was why we need bunkers - I think golf without bunkers would reduce definition and therefore part of the beauty of playing. Most all the great courses have beautifully placed and designed bunkers that fit the land and speak to shots required. Not much more fun than hitting those shots IMHO.”
But Sean and Peter were not satisfied and Tom Doak started talking about the Road Hole. Now I’ll totally intimidated and frustrated!
I just wasn’t doing very well in my description at all!!! I have been thinking about it and finally took a picture of one of the holes I have been think of in that discussion. I procrastinated a bit and then tried to post the response and the picture. Now the fun was really starting! I am over 60 and not completely computer illiterate but have just not been able to figure out how to add the picture on this posting. I have followed the directions several time to no avail. Well I am trying it again!!! Please see below……………………..Thoughts???

Jack Carney

Re: BUNKERS REVISITED - Why do we need bunkers (on most courses)?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
Drats - No picture!!!

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »

Jack Carney

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
There it is!!!! Thanks -- sorry for the confusion.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »
Jack:

The picture is not the sort of definition I want to have in my courses ... not at all.  The bunkers don't ask you to make a strategic choice, they just help telegraph where you should go, and punish the golfer who slices.

Is that what you want?

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
I am guessing the bunkers in that photo might also be placed there to keep stray shots from bounding into the yards (or living rooms) of the houses next to the course. ;)

Jack Carney

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Doesn't have anything to do with what I want or don't want in a bunker or golf course. Just a very simple example of defining a shot. In the original thread no one was giving any thought that bunkers gave definition and that was my point. The picture was taken with an iPhone and cropped to zoom into the driving area to make the point. Without knowing anything about the distances in this picture how in the world can you assume there is not a strategic choice?

What is the sort of definition that you want?

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
Jack, I think the comment, which reflects my views, is that in this example your reference to "defining" a shot really refers to dictating the shot.  I think that bunkers are an integral part of design based in part on the traditions of a game that started on linksland.  But I think they can be overused as a default when the architect feels a hole needs something but can't figure out "what" and defaults to a bunker.  I also think that most bunkers, particularly fairway bunkers, should influence but not dictate strategic choices.  Candidly, shots that are not "defined" but invite golfers to figure out the best way to play a hole given their skills are what I favor.

Jack Carney

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
I can respect that. I guess what you can't see very well is that the green is best approached from as far right as possible due to the undulation in the green and a large front left bunker. The fairway is about 20 yards wide at the fairway bunker and about 38 yards over the bunker. I find a lot of enjoyment with my 66 year old swing hitting it over that bunker to have an eight iron into this green rather than a five or six by playing short. Thats what this thread was originally about - why do we need bunkers.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 04:32:35 AM »
Jack

I look at the bunkers and wonder what they achieve strategically which the trees don't.  The containment aspect of the mounding/bunkers makes sense though, even if this example isn't brilliant because they are so far from the adjacent property. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:21:43 AM »

Bunkers are just one of the many hazards (formal and informal) that are used/found on most golf courses.  How many are needed is purely subjective.  One thing, however, that I am 100% sure of is that there MUST BE HAZARDS or at least "hazardous situations" on every hole for it to offer any true interest.  Think about your favorite holes you have ever played and I can assure you they all will be defined in some way by a cool and/or unique hazard.  Note: Sometimes a green itself can be “hazardous” depending on how wild it is.  It is important to keep an open mind about what a hazard really is  ;)
Mark
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:42:47 AM by Mark_Fine »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
Jack - see - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48765.0.html and - http://old.minchinhamptongolfclub.co.uk/ - sand isn’t always needed (nor are trees).
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back