News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Scotland’s “Best” Nine-Holers ?
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
Niall:

First, thank you for this thread, which has reminded me of some wonderful little places, clued me into a couple that weren't on my radar [Dalmunzie, Covesea], and reminded me of a couple I need to see ... I've never played the St. Olaf course (!), and when I was thinking of going to Tarbat many years ago, I was put off by the RAF doing bombing runs out there in the run-up to the Falklands War!

I can heartily recommend a bunch of the courses mentioned here, and in fact have done so in The Confidential Guide, but I have never been more uncomfortable at the thought of trying to rank a group of courses.  Most of these defy rankings, I think ... they are binary choices, worth the time or not?  The Wee Course at Blairgowrie is probably not as compelling as Traigh or Isle of Harris, but I will never forget it, either.  And I had forgotten about Rosehearty until Clyde mentioned it ... I had to leave my bride in the car for a few minutes on a very cold day to check it out, and again, it's a "yes".

I did not realize there were so many of these relatively close together in Perthshire.  What an awesome venue that would be for a BUDA Cup ... put everybody in a bus, and tackle them in nine-hole matches, one after another :D

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
Tom

My pleasure, and thank you for putting Killin on my radar.

I played it with my brother. We took a buggy for my elderly mother who has been suffering from osteoporosis for years and who sadly had to give up golf many years ago. She just loved being out on the course and even managed a few putts.

A couple of days later at Blairgowrie, again she accompanied us in a buggy. We got to one of the par 3’s and when my back was turned she raked through my bag and pulled out a hybrid, and then proceeded to tee up a ball. Her tee shot scuttled about 20 yards along the ground in the general direction of the hole, the next shot went at 45 degrees into the rough and the third was a fresh air shot, at which point she handed the club back in disgust ! Sadly I think that’s the last of her playing golf but great days, and ones to cherish.

As for ranking these types of courses, you are of course correct. Let’s just enjoy them and not worry too much about how they compare.

Niall

Ps. Great idea about BUDA however in order to make the most of home advantage I think I’d make the away team drive themselves along those country roads  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »

We took a buggy for my elderly mother who has been suffering from osteoporosis for years and who sadly had to give up golf many years ago. She just loved being out on the course and even managed a few putts.

A couple of days later at Blairgowrie, again she accompanied us in a buggy. We got to one of the par 3’s and when my back was turned she raked through my bag and pulled out a hybrid, and then proceeded to tee up a ball. Her tee shot scuttled about 20 yards along the ground in the general direction of the hole, the next shot went at 45 degrees into the rough and the third was a fresh air shot, at which point she handed the club back in disgust ! Sadly I think that’s the last of her playing golf but great days, and ones to cherish.

Sounds like my mom would have enjoyed playing with your mom!

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »
Tom, I made time for Rosehearty based on your CG recommendation, and am glad I did. It was my last nine holes of a trip last year, and I had the course all to myself. I wish I’d had the time for another go-around before sunset, and I never would have known about the course except for CG.

Similarly, I hope you get to Covesea — if you can find it!

Thanks to all who posted here — I am hoping to play one or two of these on an upcoming trip.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
At long last I managed to play the St Olaf's course on the (long) way up to this years BUDA, and then Nethy Bridge on the way down.

Firstly, the St Olaf's course was as good as I'd been lead to believe. A couple of the par 4's in the middle of the round might be a bit pedestrian but nothing wrong with the par 3's. The 7th is terrific and if there is a better short par 3 than the 9th with that back pin position then I've never played it.

Nethy Bridge was also great fun and perhaps more interesting in routing due to the landforms, however after the 5 day camel ride that is BUDA, I was running desperately low on energy and painkillers. There was a few blind or semi-blind shots to parts of the course that weren't necessarily the most accommodating. However a shot is only blind the first time and all that. I'll definitely be back for another game.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 03:36:20 PM »
Glad you finally got to play Nethy and enjoyed it Niall.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 07:02:48 AM »
St. Olaf is clearly #1.  You could have one great course if Cruden Bay sold the land on 9-14 to real estate developers and integrated St. O's land into the routing.  I strongly hope that this never happens, not because I love CB but because I love St. O.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
Another vote for the wonderful St Olaf at Cruden Bay. I must have played it more than a hundred times, often 3-4 times in a day, and never been bored by it.
If you visit CB and don’t take the opportunity to play the St-O you’ll have missed a golfing treat.*
The golf world would be a better place if there were more courses akin to the St-O.
Atb

PS *- the same applies imo to such non-Scottish 9-holers as The Channel (at Burnham & Berrow), the Kilmore-9 at Carne, Mulranny and Cruit Island.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
Considering I played the Struie when I was a kid with my mother (ie. well before the 1980's before anyone asks !) it must have been a nine holer then. I can still clearly remember a couple of the holes which hadn't changed much when I played them many years later.

In no particular order here's my top ten of the moment;

Strathtay - while the list isn't in any particular order I'd have to say this is probably my favourite of the moment. Anyone going north up the A9 would do well to stop off here for a quick round or two. Wooden shack for a clubhouse with an honesty box system, the course sits in about 30 odd acres I'd guess and has a house in the middle of it ! Despite that through the terrain and by dint of a few cross over holes it manages to provide some cracking if at times puzzling golf.

Dalmunzie - another detour off the A9 albeit a good bit longer. Largely a Tom Simpson design I think with some later modifications. Despite 3 pedestrian holes near the hotel the rest of the golf is well worth the drive.

Covesea - originally a 12 hole par 3 course that was made into a nine holer by means of joining together some of the holes. It has two of the funkiest/best short par 3's anywhere (OK, Scotland) and a couple of fun driveable par 4's. Due to the small budget the maintenance regime means the rough tends to be, well.........rough, so don't play with new Pro V's. That said, highly enjoyable.

Wee Course, Blairgowrie - I'm not sure there is quite as much MacKenzie left in this course as James thinks but there is one striking par 3 that is definitely his (the 6th I think). Some of the dog-legs only require a hybrid/iron to the corner but still a very enjoyable round in a kind of heathland setting.

Comrie - some good golf in a lovely setting. The course however is no mere holiday track as in recent years it produced Wallace Booth (Scottish internationalist) and his sister Carly who turned pro. The general surrounding landscape suggests its going to be more of a hill climb than it actually is although there is some nice elevational changes in some of the holes.

Balmoral - only available to play when the Queen isn't in residence. A mix of the inoffensive, challenging (to this 8 handicapper at least) and good fun. Who doesn't enjoy a drop shot par 3 over a road ?

Killin - as written about by Tom D. Some good stuff over interesting terrain amongst nice scenery. Like a lot of these courses the green-keeping can be basic but shouldn't detract from the experience.

Durness - a long way to go for a game of golf but if you're in the area.....

Musselburgh Old - walking in the footsteps of legends. Also some good golf.

Brahan - Jon W's creation in the Highlands. Despite being work in progress when I played there a few years ago it still was great fun to play. The strong part of the design is the routing. Not sure about the movement on some of the greens but no doubt further tweaking and modifications will iron those out. Well worth a play.

I didn't include Abernethy, Bonar Bridge or Portmohomak all of which I have walked but haven't played. I suspect all three would make any notional top ten. Next on the list I think is Traigh and Carradale.

Niall

Since posting the above I've played a few more that are in the mix in terms of possible top tens.

Bridge of Allan - Melvin might have mentioned this one once or twice  ;)  Not for the faint hearted as it's a bit of a climb in the first few holes but the pay-off is that it offers some panoramic views and at times some good golf. Well worth a play and very low key.

Traigh - many have spoken about this course and I was delighted to play it last year with Jon W. A bit different to what I expected but still very good.

Alexandra Park - I'd love to wax lyrical about how good this course is but unfortunately I can't. It's the oldest course golfing ground in Glasgow that is still being played over dating back to the early 1870's however some of the holes are fairly short and with greens situated ojust over the brow of a hill. Of historical interest only.

Niall

David McIntosh

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 06:41:23 AM »
Niall,

Thanks for the update and glad you got to see Bridge of Allan. My dad was a member there for a short while a few years back but think the combination of the climb you refer to and the clubhouse burning down led to him moving to another club in the area.

The first hole there must be a candidate for most difficult opener in Scotland. A 220 yard severely uphill par 3 over a stone wall to a raised green falling away at the front and sides. Not one you’d relish taking on if running late for a tee time and had to face that shot with your first swing of the day!

John Emerson

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
St. Andrew's Eden  ;)

Separating courses at the lower-end of the spectrum isn't that easy, but i'll take a quick bite:

1. Cruden Bay - St. Olaf's
2. Mussleburgh Links
3. Traigh
4. Killin
5. Rosehearty
6. Durness
7. Dalmunzie Castle
8. Tarbat (Portmahomack) *I had about 15mins of daylight to check this out, but saw enough to want to go back.
9. Comrie
10. Carradale

Abernethy, Tobermory, Benbecula, The Isle of Harris, Gairloch, St Medan look like they are worth checking out.

I’ll second the St Olaf course at cruden Bay! 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
St. Andrew's Eden  ;)

Separating courses at the lower-end of the spectrum isn't that easy, but i'll take a quick bite:

1. Cruden Bay - St. Olaf's
2. Mussleburgh Links
3. Traigh
4. Killin
5. Rosehearty
6. Durness
7. Dalmunzie Castle
8. Tarbat (Portmahomack) *I had about 15mins of daylight to check this out, but saw enough to want to go back.
9. Comrie
10. Carradale

Abernethy, Tobermory, Benbecula, The Isle of Harris, Gairloch, St Medan look like they are worth checking out.

Having played 4 of the 10 listed here, Durness,Traigh,Rosehearty and Carradale...
I'd put those 4 in the order I listed them, with all of them worthwhile plays
I'd add Covesea probably after Traigh and put Gairloch probably at the back of my list, while recommending all at elast as a beautiful evening spent, as well as on their own merits

Looking at Clyde's list I absolutely need to play the others if there are 5 better than Durness which I felt was all WORLD in terms of variety, fun, scenery, challenge strategy and interest-no way Rosehearty is ahead of Durness and I'd put Durness well ahead of Traigh as well-despite loving all 3.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
I managed a game at the St Medan course in the south west of the country today. Great fun course with some fantastic individual holes. Even though it sits on a promontory next to the water it is isn't a links. Like Traigh it plays round a hill and like Strathtay it's a fairly tight site that necessitates some cross overs. Also like those two there is a bit of up and down but nothing too taxing. Unfortunately I only had time for one round which is a shame as I'd loved to have had a go at the second set of tees which I think would have made a significant difference to a few of the holes.

Probably due to the nature of the site with the crossovers, its fairly open with generous fairways. My initial thought is that it's better than the two I've mentioned and for my money better than Durness. There's not a huge amount of top quality golf to take you down there with Southerness being the best but there are some good holiday courses in Portpatrick, Wigtownshire County and Stranraer that if you are down there then I'd definitely recommend St Medan.

Anyone else played it ?

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »
My nine-holer odyssey continued this afternoon with a game on the Hillhouse course at Kilmarnock Barassie. Originally part of the main course before new holes were built and replaced them in the main course some 20 to 25 years ago. For the number crunchers among you it measures 2,888 yards off the back tees and a handy 2,756 yards off the yellows, although the 8th hole was playing from a temporary tee pushed up some hundred odd yards due to work on existing tees.

The obvious comparison would be to the St Olaf course at Cruden Bay with both playing second fiddle to their respective 18 hole courses but also both having once been in the main rotation. The St Olaf course is surrounded by the main course and to an extent the same is true with the Hillhouse course.

In character it reminded me of what the nearby Gailes course used to be like before the recent tree/gorse removal program, and similar to what Scotscraig still is with its pine/birch trees, gorse and heather. It doesn't quite have the same ground movement as those two courses but it certainly isn't dull.

As I toured round I thought of how it compared to St Olaf and while initially marking it below St Olaf by the end I had it ahead, mostly by dint of having better par 4's. St Olafs par 4's aren't great and neither are the Hillhouse par 4's but they are better IMO, and while Hillhouse doesn't have a par 3 to rival the 9th at St Olaf the two par 3's aren't clunkers and indeed if they kept the temporary 8th tee it would make an excellent long par 3 (although similar to the 2nd).

Overall, if you find yourself in Ayrshire and having already played a round and fancy some more golf, just not another 18, then Hillhouse would be a very good option.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 07:03:25 AM »
Thanks for this thread and the updates Niall.
Some of my favourite courses are the second or allegedly lessor courses at Clubs irrespective of whether they be holes or 18-holes.

If you reckon Hiilhouse is ahead of the St Olaf, and I’m quite happy to accept your judgement, then Hillhouse must be damn good and needs to be visited by more posters herein.
As to the merits of par-4’s on the St Olaf I imagine modern technology may have had quite an effect. They were pretty damn good, especially the 1st, 6th and 8th back in the days of blades, persimmon and balata even more so when played in the traditional Cruden Bay cold wind.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 08:29:41 AM »
David

I'd say Hillhouse is definitely worth a play but whether you'd find it better than your beloved St Olaf is perhaps doubtful. I think though you'd agree it's a good fun course. In terms of the par 4's, Hillhouse wins out for me because not only are they a bit better individually but collectively they offer more variety. That said, it's been a couple of years since I played St Olaf's and I'm comparing them both after 1 play (or did I go round Olafs twice ?, can't recall).

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2021, 03:47:49 AM »

Niall C

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2021, 06:06:55 AM »
Thanks Brian. I had a peek at this course a couple of years ago when spending a long weekend nearby. There is a public road that goes along the side of the course and I managed to see some of the course over and through the hedgerow. I have to say that it didn't really grab my interest and I ended up playing Strathtay, Killin, Comrie and St Finans instead. Have you played it and did I miss anything ?

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
I know the course at Kenmore pretty well, as we used to have a regular family holiday in the village as a kid. We usually visited early December and if the nearby James Braid course at Taymouth Castle GC was on temporary green due to frost, we would play Kenmore as they stayed on their greens whatever the weather.

I havent visited for years, but actually stayed again at Kenmore last month. Though I didnt play the course, I did have time for a quick look, and while most of it is as I remember they had shortened the 1st to a long par 3 and the last to a short par 4. Both used to be long 4s, but the owners appear to have taken that land back to create more holiday villas.

I also believe that as the nearby Taymouth Castle still isnt open for golf after its major changes about 10 years ago, that the (what I imagine is now quite a small) membership from there, play their golf at Kenmore, or should I say Mains of Taymouth GC (damn rebranding  ;) )

Its a fun course, but the setting of typical Perthshire countryside is perhaps more interesting than the architecture. Worth adding to the list of Niall's of other 9 holers nearby, but I wouldnt recommend a special trip.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David_Tepper

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »
Almost 4 years later, has anyone played Colt's Ft. Augustus yet?

https://www.scottishgolfcourses.com/highlandsandislands/fortaugustus.html

Thomas Dai

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2021, 04:11:20 PM »
Almost 4 years later, has anyone played Colt's Ft. Augustus yet?
https://www.scottishgolfcourses.com/highlandsandislands/fortaugustus.html
There used to be a whole bunch of photos of the Fort Augustus course on Frank Ponts golf course architecture pictures website, a website that doesn’t seem to exist any more. Shame as it contained masses of photos of a great many courses.
Atb

James Reader

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 04:27:08 PM »
I’m surprised Corrie hasn’t been mentioned yet.  I haven’t played as many of the contenders as others on here but it’s great fun (“sporty”, to reference another current thread) in an incredible setting.  If anyone is on Arran to play Shiskine, it’s not to be missed. 

Jim Hartsell has some great photos - of Corrie and a number of the other courses mentioned - on his blog about his recent trip to Scotland [size=78%]http://jhartsellgolf.com/when-revelation-comes/[/size]

Niall C

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
James

I don't know any of the Arran courses but hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify that in the near future.

One new (to me) nine-holer I played last year was Beith. It started out as I nine holer back in the day then became an 18 holer, however in recent years they reverted back to what I presume to have been the original nine holes. As I said in another thread it definitely a course I would call sporty. It sits on top of a hill in the country side and has fairly extensive views in parts but not so high that my vertigo kicked in.

The terrain is what I'd call rumbustious which produces some quite interesting golf. The first is a par 4 that plays down into a bit of a valley then back up again to the green which sits on a plateau surrounded by trees ie. trees in front as well. The second then plays back the way with the 1st and 2nd fgairways crossing each other and the second green being a double green with the 9th (?). The third is then a shortish par 4 with a semi blind second shot to a dell like green.......and on it goes. Well worth a play if in the area (half hour from Glasgow) and relatively cheap.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2023, 08:10:45 AM »
I played New Galloway on the way to Turnberry for the 2009 Open. It's a classic starts in the valley, most of the course is on the moor layout. The course says that members believe it to be Scotland's best nine holer on its website; well, I'm not so sure about that, but once you get up the enormous hill that takes up the first two holes and out onto the open moor, it's certainly very nice. They allow you to cut across from 8 to 3, hence playing a 15 hole round and avoiding going down the hill and back up again if it is quiet. Which was nice.

Adam

I'm very pleased to say that I eventually managed to get to New Galloway at the weekend and very much enjoyed the course. It's much as you describe although I would say the upper level isn't entirely open although it isn't brutally tight either. It's the landforms that make it. Even though the greens were as hairy as my brothers wee Scottie dug, there was enough slope on them to give some interesting borrows. Of course having a hole in one on the 7th perhaps makes me look at the course with rose coloured glasses but I don't think so. There is a lot of good fun golf.

Later in the day I also went back to St Medans and was very pleased to find it as much fun as I remembered. The south west of Scotland is an area that really doesn't get as much attention as it should and while the golf isn't maybe championship standard there's still a lot of fun to be had.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »
I played New Galloway on the way to Turnberry for the 2009 Open. It's a classic starts in the valley, most of the course is on the moor layout. The course says that members believe it to be Scotland's best nine holer on its website; well, I'm not so sure about that, but once you get up the enormous hill that takes up the first two holes and out onto the open moor, it's certainly very nice. They allow you to cut across from 8 to 3, hence playing a 15 hole round and avoiding going down the hill and back up again if it is quiet. Which was nice.

Adam

I'm very pleased to say that I eventually managed to get to New Galloway at the weekend and very much enjoyed the course. It's much as you describe although I would say the upper level isn't entirely open although it isn't brutally tight either. It's the landforms that make it. Even though the greens were as hairy as my brothers wee Scottie dug, there was enough slope on them to give some interesting borrows. Of course
having a hole in one on the 7th perhaps makes me look at the course with rose coloured glasses but I don't think so. There is a lot of good fun golf.

Later in the day I also went back to St Medans and was very pleased to find it as much fun as I remembered. The south west of Scotland is an area that really doesn't get as much attention as it should and while the golf isn't maybe championship standard there's still a lot of fun to be had.

Niall

Shameless........................................congrats  ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back