News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Scotland’s “Best” Nine-Holers ?
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
By fairly common consent England has its best nine holer in the Sacred Nine, although I know a few GCA’ers who might argue otherwise, but what of Scotland ? What is its “best” nine holer ? I’ve got my own ideas but interested in hearing others views, so lets have your nomination, top 5, or top 10 nine-hole courses.

I’ll let you choose how you determine best.

Niall

Stephen Northrup

Re: Scotland’s “Best” Nine-Holers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »
I've only played a couple of nine-hole courses in Scotland, but I'll offer Durness. Once you catch your breath after climbing to the first green, it's quite fun, building nicely to the 8th and 9th holes overlooking Balnakeil Bay and the beach.

Holiday golf, to be sure, but the setting can't be beat.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
As you rightly imply, defining 'best' is harder than coming up with a list. Defining 'best' as 'which Scottish 9-holers would I most like to revisit' I'd get the ball rolling with

Tobermory
Comrie
Gairloch
Harris (Scarista)
Durness

But there are plenty I've yet to visit which no doubt should be added to the list... I await with interest the other contributions.

Ian

PS I'm assuming the Shiskene with 12 holes is ruled out : - )

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
St. Andrew's Eden  ;)

Separating courses at the lower-end of the spectrum isn't that easy, but i'll take a quick bite:

1. Cruden Bay - St. Olaf's
2. Mussleburgh Links
3. Traigh
4. Killin
5. Rosehearty
6. Durness
7. Dalmunzie Castle
8. Tarbat (Portmahomack) *I had about 15mins of daylight to check this out, but saw enough to want to go back.
9. Comrie
10. Carradale

Abernethy, Tobermory, Benbecula, The Isle of Harris, Gairloch, St Medan look like they are worth checking out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:13:22 PM by Clyde Johnson »

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:37 PM »
Yes, Durness would likely be in my top 10 but I do wonder if that is more about the surroundings although the golf is nice enough. Ian mentioned Comrie which was one of my first plays last year. A lovely course with some really strong holes. Killin was another newbie for me last year which I really enjoyed despite the soft conditions in part and losing a ball that ran through a green by a few feet.

Dalmunzie Castle is a blast even if the 3 holes by the hotel aren’t up to much. Portmahomack – again like Clyde only walked it, and on the recommendation of David Tepper. It’s perhaps about as varied a mix of holes as you could get on a patch of farmland with of the wildest most heaving fairways you can imagine.

All good stuff so far with quite a few that are on the radar but haven’t played, and few more that have just been added to the list.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
My list (for today as far as the order is concerned) would be:

1. Durness Wonderful setting (there will be a common theme here!) and actually I feel its a step up from mere holiday golf. 4, 5 and 6 at the far end are wonderful, but its 9 that most will remember and rightly so!

2. Bonar BridgeAnother great setting, but inland this time. I'm sure I remember readings somewhere that its like Gleneagles in miniature?

3. "Wee" nine at BlairgowrieContains many of the original holes MacKenzie holes from his 1927 layout. 2, 5 and 6 are all fun doglegs, but considering the quality of the par 3s on the adjacent "Rosemount" I dont recall much of them on this course?

4. Tarbat (Portmahomack)
A little out of the way, but anyone passing Tain on the way to Dornoch should check it out. 4, 6, 7 and 8 all have great links ground movement!

5. Traigh
Great views out towards various Inner Hebrides islands makes for a great backdrop to par 3 5th and 9th. Multi choice fairway on the par 5 2nd makes for a fun start.

6. Gairloch
I've a soft spot for this one after getting my first ace on its 2nd. Interesting mix of holes with the 91 yard 7th followed by the 526 yard 8th along the bay, a reasonable length par 5 often being a rarity on these 9 holers.

7. Brahan
Interesting architecture from one of our own!

Kenmore, Killin and Isle of Skye round off my top 10, but less to write about on these. A real shame especially with Skye. Not a bad course, just on such a wonderful island its a shame there isnt a better course.

Still plenty for me to see. I've driven past every one of these so either had a look from the road or car park and fancy getting a round at: Abernethy, Ballachulish, Carradale, Carrbridge, Dunaverty, Fort Augustus, Isle of Harris, Tobermorey...So don't just wiz from one big name to another, make sure you stop at one of the smaller ones as well!

Cheers,James
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:02:27 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
I played New Galloway on the way to Turnberry for the 2009 Open. It's a classic starts in the valley, most of the course is on the moor layout. The course says that members believe it to be Scotland's best nine holer on its website; well, I'm not so sure about that, but once you get up the enormous hill that takes up the first two holes and out onto the open moor, it's certainly very nice. They allow you to cut across from 8 to 3, hence playing a 15 hole round and avoiding going down the hill and back up again if it is quiet. Which was nice.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Reader

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:46:49 PM »
I can’t remember which one it is (8th possibly) but there’s one great hole at Gairloch - a par 5 above the beach - that’s almost worth the visit on its own.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
Think I only have 2 in Scotland
Traigh-well worth the visit/detour.
Carradale-pairs nicely with Arran/Shiskine(several attractive 9 holers there I think) also  and/or Machrihanish/Dunaverty

Isle of Harris, Durness, and Covesea look like great spots.
Can't leave out Musselburgh can we?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David McIntosh

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
I can only remember having played three nine holers in Scotland:

Musselburgh Old (had to amend as Jeff beat me to it whilst typing!)
The Wee Course at Blairgowrie
Bridge of Allan

I’d probably rank them in that order too. History and uniqueness of the surroundings are obviously a factor at Musselburgh but there is some good golf in there which lifts it to the top of my (admittedly short) list.

Scarista, Durness and Traigh would top the list of those I’d like to see.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:18:31 PM by David McIntosh »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »
There is a website, or maybe it’s a Facebook a/c, that details all the 9-holers in Scotland. Unable to recall it’s title just now. Some googling might find it for you.

Other than the famous long cliff side par-3 what’s the 9-hole course at Anstruther like?

Quite a few 18-hole clubs also have 9-holers - Murcar, Fraserburgh,
Peterhead, Nairn - variable quality though.

Atb

PS - anyone going to Cruden Bay and not playing the St Olaf is missing out big time. Holes 6-7-8 on the StO are some of the best holes of all the 27 (28) at C.B.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
As you rightly imply, defining 'best' is harder than coming up with a list. Defining 'best' as 'which Scottish 9-holers would I most like to revisit' I'd get the ball rolling with

Tobermory
Comrie
Gairloch
Harris (Scarista)
Durness

But there are plenty I've yet to visit which no doubt should be added to the list... I await with interest the other contributions.

Ian

PS I'm assuming the Shiskene with 12 holes is ruled out : - )

Speaking of Gairloch, Graylyn Loomis did a nice little write-up on the course here:

http://www.graylynloomis.com/gairloch-golf-club-review/

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
I think I've only played one nine-hole course in Scotland, Carradale, and I absolutely love it.

If you travel to play Machrihanish Dunes-Machrihanish Old, Dunaverty and Carradale are musts.

Second hole, about 320 yards, Arran in the background.

P1000386.JPG by Anthony Pioppi, on Flickr

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:39:38 PM »
Covesea is a blast and highly recommended if you are playing Moray, Nairn, et cetera. Up and around the seastacks like a miniature Cullen.

Similarly, play Rosehearty if you are in the Fraserburgh neighborhood. A few great holes in the middle of the round, especially the 5th and 6th.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »

Other than the famous long cliff side par-3 what’s the 9-hole course at Anstruther like?

Completely forgot about Anstruther when doing my top-10.

Windy, really windy! Otherwise pretty rudimentary. The first tackles an abrupt rise, which is driven down from to finish, and from there it is flat, exposed cliff-top with the exception of the two back-to-back threes. Worth a quick run around just for a crack at the impossibly difficult three.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »
The best 10 that I can remember, alphabetically:

Anstruther
Auchterderran
Bridge of Allan
Comrie
Dalmunzie
Durness
Killin
Musselburgh
Portmahamock
St. Olaf's

.....and my favorite, unfortunately mostly NLE now, Dornoch Struie, which in the early 1980's consisted of 6 holes which were a part of the original Championship 18 up to 1940 (13-18) and 3 from the Ladies course......

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »
Considering I played the Struie when I was a kid with my mother (ie. well before the 1980's before anyone asks !) it must have been a nine holer then. I can still clearly remember a couple of the holes which hadn't changed much when I played them many years later.

In no particular order here's my top ten of the moment;

Strathtay - while the list isn't in any particular order I'd have to say this is probably my favourite of the moment. Anyone going north up the A9 would do well to stop off here for a quick round or two. Wooden shack for a clubhouse with an honesty box system, the course sits in about 30 odd acres I'd guess and has a house in the middle of it ! Despite that through the terrain and by dint of a few cross over holes it manages to provide some cracking if at times puzzling golf.

Dalmunzie - another detour off the A9 albeit a good bit longer. Largely a Tom Simpson design I think with some later modifications. Despite 3 pedestrian holes near the hotel the rest of the golf is well worth the drive.

Covesea - originally a 12 hole par 3 course that was made into a nine holer by means of joining together some of the holes. It has two of the funkiest/best short par 3's anywhere (OK, Scotland) and a couple of fun driveable par 4's. Due to the small budget the maintenance regime means the rough tends to be, well.........rough, so don't play with new Pro V's. That said, highly enjoyable.

Wee Course, Blairgowrie - I'm not sure there is quite as much MacKenzie left in this course as James thinks but there is one striking par 3 that is definitely his (the 6th I think). Some of the dog-legs only require a hybrid/iron to the corner but still a very enjoyable round in a kind of heathland setting.

Comrie - some good golf in a lovely setting. The course however is no mere holiday track as in recent years it produced Wallace Booth (Scottish internationalist) and his sister Carly who turned pro. The general surrounding landscape suggests its going to be more of a hill climb than it actually is although there is some nice elevational changes in some of the holes.

Balmoral - only available to play when the Queen isn't in residence. A mix of the inoffensive, challenging (to this 8 handicapper at least) and good fun. Who doesn't enjoy a drop shot par 3 over a road ?

Killin - as written about by Tom D. Some good stuff over interesting terrain amongst nice scenery. Like a lot of these courses the green-keeping can be basic but shouldn't detract from the experience.

Durness - a long way to go for a game of golf but if you're in the area.....

Musselburgh Old - walking in the footsteps of legends. Also some good golf.

Brahan - Jon W's creation in the Highlands. Despite being work in progress when I played there a few years ago it still was great fun to play. The strong part of the design is the routing. Not sure about the movement on some of the greens but no doubt further tweaking and modifications will iron those out. Well worth a play.

I didn't include Abernethy, Bonar Bridge or Portmohomak all of which I have walked but haven't played. I suspect all three would make any notional top ten. Next on the list I think is Traigh and Carradale.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
Anyone played Fort Augustus GC, along Loch Ness? Possibly designed by Harry Colt.

http://www.1golf.eu/en/club/fort-augustus-golf-club/

James Boon

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »
Wee Course, Blairgowrie - I'm not sure there is quite as much MacKenzie left in this course as James thinks but there is one striking par 3 that is definitely his (the 6th I think). Some of the dog-legs only require a hybrid/iron to the corner but still a very enjoyable round in a kind of heathland setting.
Niall

Niall,
According to the clubs history books holes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 on the wee nine, all follow the same corridor as when Mackenzie turned the 1892 9 hole course into a full 18 in 1927. I'll send you the maps by email that I've got as I've lost the will to live with posting images on here...  ::)  Other than the general playing corridor I'm not sure how much out there is MacKenzie and you are far more of an expert on him than I am.
Cheers, James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
I cant believe I missed Musselburgh Old off my list! I suppose I tend to think of all the nine holers out in the highlands and islands as thats where I've played the majority...
Cheers,
James

Jim McCann

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
To my eternal shame, despite having played a couple of hundred of Scotland's 18-hole layouts, I've only ever played around
a dozen 9-hole courses in my home country.

If I was to rank them, I'd do so in the follow order (there might be one or two that haven't been mentioned so far in this thread):

Cruden Bay (St Olaf)
Carradale
New Galloway
Machrihanish (Pans)
Traigh
Strathendrick
Turnberry (Arran)
Leadhills
Ross Priory
St Boswells

Actually, I was saying to my golfing sidekick last year that we really should play a lot more of these nine-holers this year.

He's played Comrie, Killin and and St Fillans which he says are all worth playing.

I've just realized I left out Musselburgh (Old) but I'm not sure it would have made my Top 10 anyway...     

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
Niall

Niall,
According to the clubs history books holes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 on the wee nine, all follow the same corridor as when Mackenzie turned the 1892 9 hole course into a full 18 in 1927. I'll send you the maps by email that I've got as I've lost the will to live with posting images on here...  ::)  Other than the general playing corridor I'm not sure how much out there is MacKenzie and you are far more of an expert on him than I am.
Cheers, James

I always thought there was more MacKenzie on the Wee course than there was on the Big course. Either way, I love it. Played it loads. First time I broke 70 round 18. A lot better than the Lansdowne which is a bit of a dog.

Michael Graham

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »
I’m surprised no one has yet mentioned Gifford in East Lothian. I’ve played so few nine holers in Scotland I can’t compare it to much, but from memory it’s a fun little course with lovely views of the Lammermuirs.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
Covesea looks pretty cool - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFPegZD4C00
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 07:29:42 AM »
James

My comment on the Wee Course at Blairgowrie was based on what the pro told me. He mentioned a couple of the holes, the second being one from memory, that were partly MacKenzie in that the approach and green were his but the first part of the fairway had been moved to accommodate the Landsdowne. I've got your email so shall have a look over the diagrams with interest. As for knowing what I'm talking about, I'm not sure many would agree with you !

Jim

That little pocket of Perthshire has a handful of nineholers. I had a family holiday up that way last year and played Killin and the Wee Course, Blairgowrie and separate days, and then Strathtay, Comrie, St Fillans and one I forgot about but should be on the list, the nine hole course at Crieff, all on the same day on the trek home. Of those four, I wouldn't bother playing St Fillans again although it was nice enough. Just fairly flat apart from a couple of holes which was in sharp contrast to the surroundings.

The wee course at Crieff however was terrific. You could argue too many holes played on the side of a hill but some of the geometric greens were great fun and the almost complete lack of rough a joy for beginners and casual players alike.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back