News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

Re: Shotgun starts and the erosion of architectural intent
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2024, 11:31:22 AM »
Clearly shotguns are the only practical way to accommodate large outings and some club events. My question pertains to elite events, at both the amateur and professional level.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2024, 03:33:08 PM »
Shotgun starts had to be created by a general manager.  1) easy to force you to pay for meals when the start and finish time are predetermined 2) gets the staff not paid on the basis of gratuity out of waiting tables 3) get everyone drinking so its more of a party atmosphere.

Increases the need for bigger practice areas, bigger cart staging areas, bigger cart fleets as no one in today’s world can be expected to walk 200 let alone 1200 yards to their hole (especially the caddies), more showers, more staff, more times blocked off for late day shotgun starts.

Mike,

I've got to think there would have been/still is a fair amount of demand too.

For large groups, can't imagine doing it otherwise where most importantly everyone finishes at the same time to hang out in the dining area for a few drinks, presentations, and networking for their corporate write-offs. Could you imagine teeing off first and having to wait around for 2,3, or 4 hours for everyone else to finish?

What I am saying is there are widespread hidden cost to shotgun starts and the game would be better off with out them including corporate and charity outings.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Ken Moum

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2024, 07:26:36 PM »
We played in a member event at Golspie in September,  and to gave everyone finish together they shotgunned it.

As we were getting going I asked another guy where he was starting and he replied, "On 10, I better get going."

Off he went on foot.

It's a mile to that tee.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back