News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: OT - Golf for busy people who don't have time to play golf.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:03 AM »
Most woman golfers are introduced to the game by their husbands or partners. I know of very few ladies whose husbands do not play.

My plans include holding mixed pairs events, and possibly an event where the non-golfing partner acts as caddy - steering the electric trolley. I know from my wife's experience that just walking a golf course and seeing the game played can spur the desire to give it a go.

I like the idea of the clown. We'll throw in a bouncy castle!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:47:41 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:18 AM »
Most woman golfers are introduced to the game by their husbands or partners. I know of very few ladies whose husbands do not play.

My plans include holding mixed pairs events, and possibly an event where the non-golfing partner acts as caddy - steering the electric trolley. I know from my wife's experience that just walking a golf course and seeing the game played can spur the desire to give it a go.

Good idea about mixed, we tried one where the golfing member plays the shots and the non golfer (wife) does the putting...just over 9 holes and gets the ladies interested. 2 went on to join.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 05:02:28 AM »
Perfect!

Consider it nicked!

:D

No reason why the kids shouldn't come along too. They could help Mum with the putting.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:08:24 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 06:01:56 AM »

Seriously go ahead with bouncy castles and clowns even, as long as someone supervises the youngsters so giving the mums and dads (and grandparents) the opportunity to do some golfy thing. Set up some kind of putting game for those who are not on the main course, and/or if space permits, pitch-n-putt as well. I ran the junior section at my club for many years and used to hold these kind of events, yes including with bouncy castles! Make them family orientated and get folks feeling that Clubhouses and golf courses aren’t forbidding places but can be friendly and fun. Drop the dress code for the evening. Have a b-b-q as well.
Atb

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:56 AM »

Seriously go ahead with bouncy castles and clowns even, as long as someone supervises the youngsters so giving the mums and dads (and grandparents) the opportunity to do some golfy thing. Set up some kind of putting game for those who are not on the main course, and/or if space permits, pitch-n-putt as well. I ran the junior section at my club for many years and used to hold these kind of events, yes including with bouncy castles! Make them family orientated and get folks feeling that Clubhouses and golf courses aren’t forbidding places but can be friendly and fun. Drop the dress code for the evening. Have a b-b-q as well.
Atb
Those are all the things modern clubs need to do, the ones that don't will suffer later as they see their average age per member rise! Younger people have different needs, the use of mobile phones is widespread now as most clubs have realised it is essential. 10 years ago it got hoots and hollers on here if they were seen!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »
I'm always amazed what people spend on dining, bar tabs, or for that matter Top Golf.

Club golf, especially given that it provides exercise(another item people pay for) seems an incredible bargain, especially in the UK.

Lost in the "vagabond" culture is the value of cameraderie and being in a club where regular games are easy to find and encouraged, not having to round up a game-especialy with some who may not have signed up for same deal.

While I applaud Duncan's efforts,(and it's clear something needs to be done) I wonder about the attractiveness (and retention) of being a full member of a club with so many categories and promotions.

But I wish them the best of luck and look forward to hearing more.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
I think Duncans idea is a good one.

Its pretty clear looking at the numbers that golf is on the decline, in some places pretty drastic.  So whats a course to do?  Watch the old members die off with zero replacements, or bring in some 30-50 year olds at a discounted price for at least some revenue? And perhaps they will sign up for a full boat when thier nest is empty....

Given the alternative of closure, this seems to be a decent alternative, even if not ideal...

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »

Duncan,

I think your embracing of John's suggestion is a good way to go. It is a lack of time and the expectation that husbands spend more time with the family unit that is a big contributing factor to the loss of members. I would also suggest that your assertion that you have met very few women who play who have not been introduced to the game by their partners should be seen as a massive area to look at. They are 50% of the population. Have you also thought about allowing under 18's who play with an adult to play for free? I do this and we get a lot of families who take up the offer.

Jon

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »

While I applaud Duncan's efforts,(and it's clear something needs to be done) I wonder about the attractiveness (and retention) of being a full member of a club with so many categories and promotions.

But I wish them the best of luck and look forward to hearing more.

Our full members are probably completely oblivious to such promotions and categories of membership.

Club life to most of them revolves around the Saturday competition, possibly a social round on Sunday, and either Tuesday with the Seniors or Wednesday in our midweek competition. 

The concept of playing golf in the late afternoon would seem bizarre to most members, and would express surprise that anyone would want to limit themselves to playing at such an ungodly hour.

I really don't think that our existing membership would be at all bothered by an influx of off - peak members at a lower subscription.

JMEvensky

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »

Lost in the "vagabond" culture is the value of cameraderie and being in a club where regular games are easy to find and encouraged, not having to round up a game-especialy with some who may not have signed up for same deal.

A very good,and frequently overlooked,point. Members who are part of a regular game will retain their memberships for as long as they're financially able--and sometimes longer.

Members who never fall into a regular game,for whatever reason,are usually the first ones to leave for another club.

BCowan

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 10:48:47 PM »

If we could recruit 100 new members at Reddish Vale at £399 pa who could only play at unpopular times such as late afternoon 5 days a week it would net us an extra £40k each year without meeting any resistance whatsoever from our existing membership - all of whom by definition have bought into the traditional club culture.

My aim is a new and almost entirely seperate club culture at times when the course is currently almost completely deserted other than the odd member playing a few practice holes.

As time goes by and an individual's circumstances change,  he may well choose to embrace the full membership model.

By the way, £40k per year would make all the difference between scraping by and being able to develop the club and build a reserve.

Duncan,

£399 for late afternoon golf seems like a very good plan imo and much simpler to what you posted in OP.  There are a lot of folks that are into this, I feel it's the best time of the day to play Golf.  Your club is very similar to mine.  Do you lease out your F&B?  How many months is your Clubhouse open for?  Does your tax status prevent you from advertising this and thus allowing on word of mouth? 

Are any of the lesser private clubs close to going public? 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:57:15 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 03:05:28 AM »

Duncan,

£399 for late afternoon golf seems like a very good plan imo and much simpler to what you posted in OP.  There are a lot of folks that are into this, I feel it's the best time of the day to play Golf.  Your club is very similar to mine.  Do you lease out your F&B?  How many months is your Clubhouse open for?  Does your tax status prevent you from advertising this and thus allowing on word of mouth? 

Are any of the lesser private clubs close to going public? 

100 new members paying £399 (or £499) p.a. for late afternoon golf is the end game - maybe 2 or 3 years down the line. The Twilight Golf Club is the means of getting there.

It is no good simply advertising "Unlimited late afternoon golf at £399 per year" There will be few if any takers. People need something to be laid on for them - the ready availability of a pick-up game, some camaraderie and banter with new friends, regular competitions to test themselves, access to an official handicap making them a "proper" golfer, etc., etc.

A "GOLF CLUB" in other words - except they don't know it yet!

The Twilight Golf Club seeks to establish a club within the larger club, with its own culture more representative of the younger age group it hopes to attract. Of course, there will be crossover - I'm sure many existing members will see the opportunity for extra golf midweek and get involved, and hopefully new off-peak members will quickly transit to full membership as the addiction takes hold.

Our target market are not necessarily short money - they are short of time. I can envisage some opting for full membership at £950 pa simply for the ability to play in major competitions on Saturdays a dozen times a year. First however, we've got to get them on the hook!

The Twilight Golf Club IS our advertising campaign. One that might take a bit of work but far from costing money should generate significant cash in the short term and far greater rewards later.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:56:37 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 12:36:40 AM »
Well, a month has gone by and The Twilight Golf Club has been launched to a great initial reaction. From a single post on Facebook we had over 20 local golfers with no prior connection to Reddish Vale sign up via the TGC website. Interestingly, most so far seem to be members of other golf clubs. More are joining every day as the word spreads.

Many thanks to everyone who made constructive suggestions - the revised website can be viewed here;

www.twilightgolfclub.co.uk

With a big marketing push beginning over the next few days I am confident of attracting well over 100 TGC members in time for the first event in April. That's before we include existing RV members.

I'll keep you posted on progress.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:06:21 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 06:35:21 AM »
Congrats Duncan! Look forward to hearing about the progress.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
That course looks like a beauty.  I didn't look at it when I first saw this thread. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
That course looks like a beauty.  I didn't look at it when I first saw this thread.

It's a fabulous course Peter.

https://www.twilightgolfclub.co.uk/the-course.html

Not only does it flow well, with a minimum of green to tee walks, but it includes the full range of holes and shots;

1 short par 3
1 long par 3
2 short par 4s
2 medium par 4s
1 long par 4
1 short par 5
1 longish par 5

I've played it on my own a couple of times to test it out, and I challenge anyone to come off feeling as though they've not played enough golf!

9 and 12 hole courses are the future!  ;)

I must start a thread on great 9 hole routings on established 18 hole courses...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:27:23 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back