News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Underbrush and self seeded scrub
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
Herein we often debate courses that are excessively tree-bound.
Some recent observations have led me to wonder to what extent the issue is tree planting related, whether tree-lined or copses etc, or whether there is more of an issue when underbrush and self seeded scrub areas are allowed to develop. Allowed to develop for whatever reason.
It seems that whilst tree surgery and the like may be undertaken with some regularity on trees that have already grown to a reasonable height, underbrush and self seeded scrub areas are seldom cleared other than a very occasional ‘blitz’. Yet these areas of underbrush and scrub also limit light and airflow and the like and are a pain in the proverbial when time consumingly searching for golf balls.
Once upon a time clearance or maintenance of such areas was pretty much manual and very time consuming. These days though, there seem to be a variety of mechanised, ride-on ways that clearance and maintenance can be undertaken so should more of it be done regularly?
Thoughts?
Atb

PCCraig

Re: Underbrush and self seeded scrub
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »
For those that have played White Bear Yacht Club they would know that the course generally plays through wide corridors through dense forests of trees and underbrush. Last winter the club removed all of the scrub trees and brush in the forest in the corner of the property between the 2nd fairway, the par-3 third, and the 4th fairway. It's a significantly improved visually, as you can now see the very treacherous 3rd through the trees looming as you play the 2nd, and the 3rd now feels much less choked by trees and foliage.  The benefits to the surrounding turf, especially the 2nd and 3rd greens, is probably significant due to the improved airflow in an already tight area.

I believe the plan is to clear underbrush in a similar way in the forests to the right of the 4th tee, to the right of the 14th tee, between the 12th tee and 16th green, the 12th fairway and 16th fairway, behind and around the 15th green, and behind the 17th green.

I think it's a big project overall to clear out these huge areas of growth and will take some time, but it seems most people were really impressed with the work in the corner near the 3rd hole.
H.P.S.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
For those that have played White Bear Yacht Club they would know that the course generally plays through wide corridors through dense forests of trees and underbrush. Last winter the club removed all of the scrub trees and brush in the forest in the corner of the property between the 2nd fairway, the par-3 third, and the 4th fairway. It's a significantly improved visually, as you can now see the very treacherous 3rd through the trees looming as you play the 2nd, and the 3rd now feels much less choked by trees and foliage.  The benefits to the surrounding turf, especially the 2nd and 3rd greens, is probably significant due to the improved airflow in an already tight area.

I believe the plan is to clear underbrush in a similar way in the forests to the right of the 4th tee, to the right of the 14th tee, between the 12th tee and 16th green, the 12th fairway and 16th fairway, behind and around the 15th green, and behind the 17th green.

I think it's a big project overall to clear out these huge areas of growth and will take some time, but it seems most people were really impressed with the work in the corner near the 3rd hole.
This sort of clearance is frowned upon by the ecologists here in the UK as it is destroying the natural habitats for some animals, insects and plants. In the UK, the view is more about sharing the land with animals than what is just best for the golf. I kinda side with them whenever possible. It is good to have areas where no humans go at all.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »

This sort of clearance is frowned upon by the ecologists here in the UK as it is destroying the natural habitats for some animals, insects and plants. In the UK, the view is more about sharing the land with animals than what is just best for the golf. I kinda side with them whenever possible. It is good to have areas where no humans go at all.

Thankfully here in Minnesota we have no shortage of animals, habitat, and especially insects. After all, our State Bird is the Mosquito ;)
H.P.S.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 11:04:28 PM »
A lot depends on climate.  Here in the arid West (USA), the magic ingredient is water.  The native areas at the edges of the course, basically sparse desert habitat and sagebrush before construction, nurture a wide variety of flora, many invasive, once hit by irrigation overspray.  It’s expensive to manage.  Our best tool is to turn 100 members loose with chainsaws, rakes, pruners; haulers, etc. on “clean up day” feed them a nice late lunch and let them play in the afternoon.  Yes, we tell them what to cut, what to leave, and make sure the guys with the saws know how to use them.  Even so, many golfers get the pleasure of whacking something that caused them grief.  No substitute for a lot of bodies attacking the problem.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 02:25:27 AM »
Herein we often debate courses that are excessively tree-bound.
Some recent observations have led me to wonder to what extent the issue is tree planting related, whether tree-lined or copses etc, or whether there is more of an issue when underbrush and self seeded scrub areas are allowed to develop. Allowed to develop for whatever reason.
It seems that whilst tree surgery and the like may be undertaken with some regularity on trees that have already grown to a reasonable height, underbrush and self seeded scrub areas are seldom cleared other than a very occasional ‘blitz’. Yet these areas of underbrush and scrub also limit light and airflow and the like and are a pain in the proverbial when time consumingly searching for golf balls.
Once upon a time clearance or maintenance of such areas was pretty much manual and very time consuming. These days though, there seem to be a variety of mechanised, ride-on ways that clearance and maintenance can be undertaken so should more of it be done regularly?
Thoughts?
Atb

ATB

In my experience, if a club allows trees to run rampant chances are the space under the branches will not be well kept. Trees are a much more tolerable nuisance if the presentation is like this...

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 08:07:41 AM »

Our best tool is to turn 100 members loose with chainsaws......

Given the carnage and destruction I see on a daily basis by the same crowd with lightweight drivers and wedges, I can't imagine this would end well.... ;) ;D :o :o

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »

Thanks for the ecology tip Adrian.
And as Dave suggests different climates (and terrain and locations etc) do present different challenges.
I go along with your comments about the tree presentation Sean.
This is pretty much why I was pondering that if the scrub/underbrush is run over by an appropriate machine sufficiently regularly, say once twice per year, then it ceases to be scrub and becomes basically low growing grass. Easier to maintain and to find a ball in, simpler for lessor players to play out from, better for the surrounding turf as oft discussed herein etc etc. And once commenced, well, out of sight, out of mind, unlike an occasional 'blitz' which attracts attention.
For example, imagine in the photo Sean posted above, that there was a fairway in the far background. The larger background trees could essentially remain in place but an occasional run over with an appropriate machine would ensure no scrub/underbrush was present and the air and light etc could then circulate doing all the nice things to the playing surface etc often written about herein.
Just a thought.
atb

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »

Our best tool is to turn 100 members loose with chainsaws......

Given the carnage and destruction I see on a daily basis by the same crowd with lightweight drivers and wedges, I can't imagine this would end well.... ;) ;D :o :o

I assumed just the opposite--they'd do less damage with chainsaws than golf clubs. ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back