News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

OT: Trivia - "Who Am I?"
« on: April 01, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
I've only won 8x time on the Tour, my best finish in major is T6th in a USOp yet I'm a member of the WGHoF.

I am one of the smallest professional golfers to have ever played, at 5'7" 135lbs (and less) for most of my career; but my name is not Willie Wood.

My record in majors is pretty abysmal; I withdrew from my first US Open, my last PGA, missed the cut in my first Masters and the only Open Championship I've played, I finshed T28 at Troon; but despite all this there's hardly a golfer who cant picture me easily when they hear my name.

One of my eight tour wins is at Harding Park.

Though I've been a US citizen since birth, I was not born in the United States.

Who Am I?

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Daryl David

Re: OT: Trivia - "Who Am I?"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:07 PM »
Chi Chi Rodríguez

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »
wrong! his name is Juan Antonio Rodriguez >:(
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »
VK - what's happened to you? You used to be so obscure and elliptical, not to say rambling and didactic. Are you playing some kind of clever and convoluted April Fool's joke on yourself? Mocking your own persona? What gives? I mean, excellent on Daryl for getting it so instantly, but as soon as we all saw it we thought 'oh yeah, of course'. It usually takes you 300 words just to clear your throat, and here you are engendering (and teeing up) the simplest of two word answers. Is there something more to this, still to come? A 1500 word essay on Chi Chi, Boom Boom and the WGHOF?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:19:33 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:26:32 PM »
Interesting - I had no idea he won a Lucky International tournament at Harding, and I used to think I knew all that NorCal golf history.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

V. Kmetz

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:08:05 PM »
pp... sorta, i guess

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
On these kinds of questions I usually just guess Larry Nelson. No longer batting 1000.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
As well as being one of the most entertaining golfers and ambassadors of all time.
That and won 22 times on the Senior Tour lsoing a US Senior Open to Jack and tied for 10th twice in the Masters,

I'd watch him all day long over many Hall of Famers...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »
Trevino thought he had the best pair of hands he ever saw, and could hit any kind of shot -- but that he hurt himself (in terms of number of wins) by rarely playing the safest/easiest/most obvious shot, eg instead of a stock 7 iron from 150 yards out and in the middle of the fairway, he'd take an 8 or 9 and hood it for a low running draw, or a 5 iron and lay the face open and play a very high cut etc. Interesting coming from Trevino, he thought Chi Chi maybe played too much to/for the crowd.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:16:59 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
As well as being one of the most entertaining golfers and ambassadors of all time.
That and won 22 times on the Senior Tour lsoing a US Senior Open to Jack and tied for 10th twice in the Masters,

I'd watch him all day long over many Hall of Famers...

Granted, but we could use a few more golf course architects in the Hall of Fame, no?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
He was just about through as a reg Tour player when I, 16 at the time, saw him at the Westchester Classic in 1983...gave a comedic/trick shot clinic that was absolutely amazing...hitting shots in a chair, super long drivers, hitting the range picker everytime it made a near pass...he even tried some rapid fire 4-irons in sequence, the first a soft 3/4 high banana cut, the second a bullet, low draw...he did it 3x, with the stated goal of having the shots hit one another in flight...he came as close as you could, and then said, smiling, "Who do you think I am? Arnold Palmer? I can't get a slice and a hook to hit one another."

A great fellow, and proof that honors like the HoF can be earned and deserved by character, well in excess of any relative competitive chops.

cheers  vk

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 05:20:16 PM »
He was just about through as a reg Tour player when I, 16 at the time, saw him at the Westchester Classic in 1983...gave a comedic/trick shot clinic that was absolutely amazing...hitting shots in a chair, super long drivers, hitting the range picker everytime it made a near pass...he even tried some rapid fire 4-irons in sequence, the first a soft 3/4 high banana cut, the second a bullet, low draw...he did it 3x, with the stated goal of having the shots hit one another in flight...he came as close as you could, and then said, smiling, "Who do you think I am? Arnold Palmer? I can't get a slice and a hook to hit one another."

A great fellow, and proof that honors like the HoF can be earned and deserved by character, well in excess of any relative competitive chops.

cheers  vk

Vin-A young Seve made eagle on 18 to win that tournament.

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »
At the 1970 US Open at Hazeltine, I was following him during a practice round and during waits on tees he started to entertain the gallery.

The best trick I saw was when he dropped a ball on a bent grass tee and hit off the ground into his back pocket with a pitching wedge!  He made a pretty big cut lob swing to pop it up, then turned his body, held the pocket open with his right hand, and tipped the ball into the pocket.

He did it twice in three attempts.

Later that day I was following Orville Moody and on the old 17th he pulls out a 5 iron to play up.  Someone in the back of the gallery says, "Trevino hit driver."

Moody asks for the driver, pipes one down the middle and says, "I only leave the fairway to answer the telephone."
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »

Vin-A young Seve made eagle on 18 to win that tournament.

I had forgotten that; but I do clearly remember that Bob Gilder won the year before, shooting -27 and making a Saturday DOUBLE-eagle on that same 18th (the member's 9th)...

I also recall in either 1988 or 89, Seve was part of a 4-man playoff off the 10th, where he went for the 315 yard hoel with driver and hooked it off the planet to the left.

cheers  vk

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »

I had the chance to watch him play in Portland's Porland GC at Peter's Party. He is and was always a draw.

Parenthetically, the Lucky mention made me think of Tony Lema, who should be in the WGHOF via his too brief career results. Jusr sent wghof my thoughts.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back