News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Jeremy Glenn's Reverse Course is now posted...
« on: April 22, 2003, 06:07:48 PM »
...under both In My Opinion and the Architecture Timeline.

Apart from the interesting and varied way that he tackles this subject, what really shines through is the sheer passion with which he evidently tacked this project - it is inspiring, to say the least.

Jeremy notes at the start that "those familiar with the Reverse Course are of the opinion that this second course is at least as good as the Grand Old Lady, if not better." Not having played The Reverse Course, my only opinion on it comes from Jeremy's work and after reading it, I'll be curious to see who agrees with that bold assesment.  While the Reverse 1st, 5th, and 15th look particularly appealing, I  just don't see enough "great" holes to rival such ones as the 2nd, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th and 17th holes on The Old Course. What do you think?

Regardless, the concept of designing a course that could be played in reverse (or in different configurations ala the Sheep Ranch) is an interesting one to be sure. The silly mounding that acts as a frame behind many modern greens would have no place and instead for instance, greens that slope from front to back would be re-introduced into the mix. Multiple central hazards would be needed.  For example, a central bunker like the Principal's Nose is in play for the 16th on The Old Course for the tiger but a different, otherwise innocuous central hazard would be in play on the 3rd hole on The Reverse.

As an aside, it's interesting to think of the repercussions if the powers-that-be had opted to play the course in a clockwise motion as opposed to today's counterclockwise one.  Gone I suppose would be the Eden Hole from Garden City GC and from about 50 Raynor/Macdonald courses. Wonder if the Reverse Course would have impacted MacKenzie and/or Bob Jones in a similarly powerfully way?

Congrats to Jeremy for all the time and thought that surely went into this most welcome tour de force addition to the site.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RJ_Daley

Re: Jeremy Glenn's Reverse Course is now posted...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 07:06:35 PM »
I'm very happy that TROC is now memorialized on GCA.  It was a splendid piece of work by Jeremy.   I had bookmarked his old link to his personal page where it resided, but was sad to see that page link hasn't worked in a while and was begining to regret that it wouldn't be available to people as time went by.  However, thanks to Ran for making it a permanent feature on GCA.  Now anyone who visits GCA can refer to it and begin to understand the possibilities and variations that TOC-TROC offer to imaginative golf design.  

The lessons and ideas that are stimulated by going through Jeremy's writing and computer generated illustrations ought to be mandatory for every student GC architect today.  

I can't help but notice how Rustic Canyon took on a certain low profile somewhat random bunker placement that is one of the most closely imitating modern designs I have seen to TOC-like features.  Of course RC doesn't play backwards, but I think the flavor is there.  Do any of our practicing archie GCA friends find actually going through Jeremy's article exciting and compelling?  I am not insinuating that any of you archies don't fundamentally understand the concept of TROC.  I am just wondering if maybe this doesn't just perhaps insentivize any of you to get back to these fields of play on low profile but interesting grades and green design and surrounds, and random within the field of play bunkers?

Finally, I hope Jeremy gets his shot some day at a piece of ground where he can go nuts with the ideas that must stick with him from doing this article and illustrations.  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 07:55:15 AM »
Dick, Given the dangerous mind of David Moriarty, he came up with a reverse routing for Rustic Canyon. Hard to believe, but it can be done!

Great job Jeremy and an excellent point that Ran brings up is the influence of the holes on the common routing.

Even John Lennon could be brought into the act:

Imagine there is no Road Hole,
Imagine there is no Eden,
Imagine the Kruger's coming into play.
Think of all the people,
Living in harmony,
Don't worry you are only dreaming,
Jeremy's not the only one,
He just wants to see the Reverse course,
Played more then just once................

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 08:24:15 AM »
Props to Jeremy for one of the greatest accomplishments by a GCA.com participant over the last year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back