News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The second part of Californian Todd Eckenrode's Feature Interview deals with restorations and renovations. Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-todd-eckenrode-no-2/

Given what a golf rich state California was in the 1920s, it is wonderful to see and read first hand how some of the lost gems like Orinda, Brentwood and Lakeside are making a strong comeback. My perspective may be off as I type this from Pinehurst/Southern Pines on the East Coast but the sight of a barranca is enough to make one swoon. We simply don't have them; our creeks are a weak rendition that lack the magnitude, diversity and esthetic appeal of western barrancas. Has there ever been a better hazard than a dry creek bed? I doubt it and to learn about Todd's work in resuscitating the one at Brentwood gives me hope that the ones at Riviera can one day regain their luster/appeal (especially along the 8th and 13th).

Another aspect that stands out in May's Feature Interview is the plethora of short par 3s that were built by the West Coast School. I think of Pinehurst No. 2, Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Southern Pines and the lack of sub 130 yarders in comparison to many of the favorite holes on which Todd has worked. The downhill, 123 yard 8th at Orinda by William Watson where Josh Smith is overseeing things and the uber-neat 90 yarder at Behr's Lakeside which had been lost over time are the kind of little 'flick' holes that seem sadly absent in the Tar Heel state.

No surprise, several of Todd's projects have centered on the usual: tree removal and getting the mow lines correct. The additional rub in California is how he is helping clubs to make their courses less water dependent by reducing turf coverage and introducing drought tolerant grasses and plantings. His work at Quail Lodge outside Carmel with Ken Alperstein exemplifies such efforts.

New York and California were - and are - the two dominant golf states in this country. I am a big believer in the Reagan trickle down effect: as go the leading clubs/courses, so goes the rest of golf. The better the golf at the high end, the better the golf in the middle, at least I think so. Therefore, it is great to learn about all the encouraging work taking place in California. A lot of the courses that Todd is working on are in the all-important members ~6,600 yard range,  which doesn't get much coverage in magazines but does on GolfClubAtlas.

As you read, you will see he gives shout outs to shapers and other folks who tune in here including the Emperor, Tommy Naccarato! Hope you enjoy Part 2 with Todd.

Best,
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:16:59 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Feature Interview Part 2 with Todd Eckenrode now posted
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »
Splendid stuff.
As someone who's been undertaking "then-and-now" historical research and comparisons at the two MacKenzie courses where I mostly play this has been a most interesting read. Well done and many thanks.
atb

Mark Kiely

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 01:57:13 AM »
Loved both parts of this! Thank you.

I live about 5 minutes from El Niguel and had no idea Todd was doing more work there. Very cool. I missed my chance to play it nearly 30 years ago when my high school golf coach benched me in our match against Dana Hills, who call El Niguel home (or at least did at the time). Still have never played it.  :)
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:43:00 PM »
Excellent interview and response. Todd is highly underrated.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
Agree, Rich.  The interview was particularly enjoyable for me, having spent a fair amount of time behind the scenes on the Green committee at Orinda before, during and after "Project Watson"  As Todd said, it was a team effort with master shapers George Waters and Brett Hochstein, and of course our fantastic course superintendent/artist Josh Smith, who took over the reins from long time superintendent Bob Lapic.  Todd was just terrific throughout.  To say the membership is pleased with the result is an understatement.

Best of all, the satisfaction with the work has given Todd and Josh (with occasional help from Brett) the green light to continually improve the course here and there (things that were not done during Project Watson.  This includes cart path removals, improving areas adjacent to tees and greens (including the work to expose rock on holes 4 and 11), and various other smaller items.

Mentioned in the interview was the recent removal of the cart path between 2 and 11.  I took this picture on Saturday from near the bottom of the hill approaching the green on 11, looking back toward the green on 2 (on the left) and the tee on 11 (bottom right corner).  The entire area will be mowed at fairway height.   We have successfully removed paths on several holes now, improving the game at the club where more than 60% of rounds are walked (with or without push carts).

https://imgur.com/a/knNdCar

We are Orinda are fortunate to have Todd's guidance and look forward to a longstanding association with him and the team at Origins Golf.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
I’ve been really fortunate to see this dude grow!  When I say grow, I mean, this was a guy that designed the new course in town (Southern California is a BIG town!) at Eagle Glen in Corona.  The course was crazy beautiful and had a ton of strategic options on almost every hole.  This, despite most of the course being on incredibly “rough” ground.  I don’t think there has ever been a better course of that “give the golf course the worst land” variety. 

It was there I met one Charlie Davison, who, worked with his college roommate and at-that-time, business partGary Roger Baird and the young architect who designed this course.  I had never heard of the slouch! LOL!

Three days later, I’m at the Fazio-designed Oak Creek, and I’m talking to one of the assistant pros, and we’re talking golf courses.  He asks me, “have you seen Eagle Glen yet?”  and I couldn’t say yes quick enough!  Turns out the architect was his roommate; he gives me the introduction and a Todd and has been one of my best friends in the golf business since!

How has Todd contributed to Golf Club Atlas?

If it wasn’t for Todd, we had no idea where to take the original and first King’s Putter Cup event!  Todd went out of his way to get Barona Creek to open it’s doors for all of us who participated in that initial event, and it was a complete success, with exception to the 16th hole which SOMEDAY, Todd is going to go back and fix!  (I made several trips down to Barona with Todd during its construction). If you haven’t played Barona Creek, your missing out playing the best course in the San Diego area—bar none!

Regarding Orinda, if some of you haven’t experienced this place, run, don’t walk to a BART, then Über it to the club!  Orinda is a very “manley” routing.  It doesn’t suffer fools and it makes you hit all different types of shots to get to the pi ns that flirt with hillsides, creekbeds, roads and other natural features in what was once a very rural area of the Inland East Bay.  It’s a place where you can take the original architect, William Watson, mix it with a very intelligent and driven committee, who approved of doing this work; a GREAT young, driven superintendent, young, talented shapers and Todd himself.

Congratulations Todd on this interview!  You’ve worked hard for it!  Charlie and Andy Frank too!!!!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
I know that Josh Smith tried to post something to this thread but had some technical difficulties or login issues.  He has said he will start a separate Orinda thread when things settle down at the course (it is member-guest season).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back