News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Zugelter

Hello All,

I just finished reading Golf Reaches the Seven Hills, a new book that chronicles the history of Golf in Cincinnati, Ohio. It documents the rise of golf in Cincinnati from 1890 and continues until 1960.  The author, Mr. Gerry Lanham, is a member of Maketewah Country Club and sits on the board of the GCGA. His book is a wonderful compilation of stories and information, it includes everything from the professionals, architects, builders, and courses, plus much more.

The website where it can be ordered and viewed is at:

http://cincygolfhistory.com/

Jason Thurman

Re: Golf Reaches the Seven Hills - a new book on Cincinnati Golf History
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 12:38:51 PM »
Thanks Jeff! Just purchased a copy of my own.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jeff Zugelter

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »
For those of you in the Cincinnati area, Gerry will be discussing and signing his book tonight, November 10th at 7pm.

Joseph-Beth Booksellers 2692 Madison Road, Cincinnati, OH 45208  513-396-8960

https://www.josephbeth.com/event/gerry-lanham-discussing-and-signing-golf-reaches-seven-hills

Tom Allen

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Might be a narrow market for it, but for those of us in the Greater Cincinnati area, should be an interesting read (and I would not have known about it without your post).

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 10:06:22 AM »
Just bought one for my son, who lives across the river.  I think he will like it. 

Sort of OT, but I am aware of regional golf histories in some areas, i.e., Texas, DFW, St Louis, Long Island.  What other ones may be out there?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Michael Wolf

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »
Just bought one for my son, who lives across the river.  I think he will like it. 

Sort of OT, but I am aware of regional golf histories in some areas, i.e., Texas, DFW, St Louis, Long Island.  What other ones may be out there?

Jeff,

To not get OT, the short answer is "A lot". Pinehurst and Philly have had nice coverage. But many more of varying quality also exist.

Michael

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 08:07:51 PM »

Rick Shefchik's book on Minnesota golf - From Fields to Fairways - was really well done. It is still available on Amazon.

Jeff Zugelter

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »
Thanks for the info on From Fields To Fairways, I just ordered it.

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »
Had to look at this twice, I am from Cincinnati as is my dad whose name is Gerry Lahrman. Which is scarily close to Gerry Lanham if you look quickly at the name. But I know my dad hasn't written any books lately. Anyway maybe I'll pick up a copy. Cincinnati is a pretty old city (by US standards) and its golf history goes back quite a ways as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back