News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

Re: Golf Digest Course ratings
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
Jon,

I yield to others with more experience at N Berwick than I.  I have only played there twice, once with the wind into my face on 18 and once downwind.  I have not played 18 with a crosswind toward the carpark.

Into the wind, I hit driver short and left of the green.  The pitch was straightforward.  Downwind I drove the left front of the green.

In neither case did I feel threatened by the OB.  I am not a particularly long hitter (250-260 with a good tee shot), but I am (usually) pretty straight off the tee.  And my miss is more likely to be left than right.

I wish I had played shots from short and right of the green just to get a feel for the difficulty.  I can see how the approach would be more difficult than from the left.  But it did not look that difficult.  My impression was that OB is the only real problem.

I agree that in a strong left to right wind, the hole would be very different.  A more cautious tee shot would be in order.

Bottom line for me:  The questions asked by #18 are not as difficult as those posed by some other holes on the course.  BUT I still love the hole for its fabulous setting.  And as Ran says in his review of N Berwick, you wouldn't want this wonderful course to end with a conventional par 4.  #18 is a fitting punctuation mark for a my favorite course (so far).

(Next time I play N Berwick, I am sure to hit it into the carpark.)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
Glenn,

Are you aware that you are personally liable for any damage you may cause to a car hit by your ball? OB is one thing...OB where you are assured to cause damage to property is quite another. I too birdied the 18th at NB but not before a bird flew in my shorts.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »

Glenn,

Having played NB a couple of dozen times or so I have had the luck to try the 18th in many different conditions. As I said in my first post about it, it is a great matchplay hole but a dull strokeplay. The one circumstance that I have never played it in is a serious strokeplay round. The thought of laying up on such a hole is not appealing.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back