News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl David

Re: Rolling Hills - Palos Verdes CA David Kidd redesign
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »
Having played PV and Trump, Palos Verdes may have the most diverse set of golf courses in any town in the USA, if not worldwide!

PV, old and quirky
Trump, modern and wild
RH, new inspired by old
LV, old-ish, muni
Terranea, new, par 3 course

What town boasts a Thomas/Billy Bell, a Billy Bell Jr., a Dye/Trump, an Eckenrode, and a Kidd course?

Need to reclassify from "what town" to perhaps what peninsula can boast.  Palos Verdes CC is in Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills is in Rolling Hills Estates, Trump, Los Verdes and Terranea are in Rancho PV Estates.  Different towns.   ;)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Tim, can you send me more detailed information (or a link to more information) about the King's Putter?

The cool thing about a potential event that would include Rolling Hills CC and Palos Verdes GC is that the courses could not be more different despite the fact that they are only a few miles from one another. Los Verdes (also very close) enjoys distant ocean views, but the conditioning is typically so-so and the rounds can last 6 hours!

You can use the search function on this site for "Kings Putter" and find prior tourny's. It is basically an annual regional tourny open to GCA posters that is organized by a member or a few members over two or three days on interesting courses in their areas. In the past we have played Stone Eagle, Sherwood, Ojai and others. If you want to guage interest and find others who might want to help set it up just post a topic titled Kings Putter. Right now there is no scheduled host for 2018. Last year was at Bandon and the tourny usually winds up North vs South with the winning team receiving the Kings Putter. Costs and travel dates are variable and open to whatever you can come to a consensus.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 03:42:39 AM »
Sent Jerry a PM giving more c ompletedetail about the KP, since Tim chimed in.. Sounds like an interesting course, have seen DMK's work and Tetherow and Gamble Sands. Hope this is somewhere in between and you really enjoy your membership.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:00:26 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
We have certainly exhausted all the interesting public venues on the west coast. We have been lucky to be hosted at several private facilities and are always grateful for the opportunity to enjoy them with the Ryder Cup style format. I’m sure Rolling Hill would generate a lot of interest should a member be willing to host us.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jeremy Blumberg

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
On the topic of King's Putter--sounds great and I would love to participate at some point. I'll discuss with our director of golf as well.

Past 2 days have been BRUTALLY windy and the course picks up so much more character (in my opinion). I even just love how it looks when the flagsticks are bowing sideways.

The almost complete lack of trees on the course--there are really no trees that are actually in play--exposes us more to the wind and I think it is adding an element of interest that is not commonly found these days in Southern California.

Also, because the ground game is playable--even preferable in many spots--I feel the course is playable in the stiff wind if done correctly.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 04:51:59 PM »
It's been a few years; what is the verdict on the renovation/redesign of Rolling Hills?

Chris Mavros

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 05:40:04 PM »
I played it in 2019 and really liked it.  Lots of room and large rolling contours with cool variety.  Lots of different ways to get around.  Kidd's philosophy of emboldening the golfer is very much present here in a very promising way.   

Here's my review and photos of each hole. 

https://golfadelphia.com/2019/09/02/rolling-hills-country-club/

Carl Nichols

Re: Rolling Hills - Palos Verdes CA David Kidd redesign New
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2022, 12:03:55 PM »
Thanks Chris.  Great pictures and writeup.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 12:05:29 PM by Carl Nichols »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back