News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MClutterbuck

Re: The Buck Club
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
Zac,

The course plans you have been sharing are pre aquisition / knowledge of this site? Will you now redo them based on the actual terrain? Are you using existing land features or bulldozing the whole thing?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:05:47 PM by MClutterbuck »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »
Just be honest to a fault. Comparing to Pine Valley and NGLA may already be a stretch.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
Just be honest to a fault. Comparing to Pine Valley and NGLA may already be a stretch.

John,

If its all that, you'll have to come to Utah and we'll finally be able to get that long overdue Buddy Up round on the books!!  :)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
i don't believe given modern culture coupled with social media that it is humanly possible to currently build a club that rivals Pine Valley or NGLA. That be anywhere is the United States, let alone Utah.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 06:52:30 AM »
Sand Hills was founded in 1995, 22 years ago, and it might be comped against PV and NGLA.  So is there another unicorn out there?  SH ushered in the era we’re now enjoying, with many millionaires and GCAs alike scouring rural sites for the next world beater.  There are two being built right now in SC and GA, and I have no idea how good they’ll be or if they’ll be successful for their owners - whatever their business premise is. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »
And Facebook was founded in 2004 and then the iPhone was released in 2007. An argument could be made that Sand Hills is not the club it was 10 years ago while Pine Valley and NGLA have thrived. You have to control the hype from within.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »
i don't believe given modern culture coupled with social media that it is humanly possible to currently build a club that rivals Pine Valley or NGLA. That be anywhere is the United States, let alone Utah.

There is a relatively new club where Gil Hanse is donating his time as the consulting architect. The club has views of the Pacific Ocean, it has members from the professional golf ranks, members from Hollywood, women members, and yes some Golf Club Atlas dudes.

More information will be coming soon, but I am focused on the use of your word "club".

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
Members from Hollywood is a good thing?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
Zac,
"If you build it, they will come."  If it's as good as NGLA and Pine Valley, members will join.  But it has to be that good (or at least very, very close). 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
Zac,
"If you build it, they will come."  If it's as good as NGLA and Pine Valley, members will join.  But it has to be that good (or at least very, very close).

If the Buck Club is top 500 in the world it will be an amazing success.

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
Zac,

Do you really think it needs to be as good as PV or NGLA as that seems like a ridiculous standard in order to insure success?

Trey Kemp

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
Photos of the site on The Buck Club's twitter account look interesting. It also looks like Rob Collins and Tad King are going to be involved so I think that Zac and The Buck Club are off to a good start.

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »
I think John does make some valid points.

Utah isn't exactly a golf destination, and almost all the best courses are private. Sand Hollow is the best course I've seen in the state and I'm not sure if it cracks any lists, other than best in state. So for the Buck Club to be a success, it would have to a grand slam and really be something special. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
When did every new course built have to be a grand slam to be a success? I just want to go somewhere that at the end of the day my expectations were exceeded.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
Having a strong young membership is crucial to the vision of The Buck Club! We need a great groups of guys who love golf under the age 40

Ouch. My apologies. If I had read this tweet earlier I would have never offered my advice. #grumpyoldnationalmemberdemo

BHoover

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
The fact that guys like JK won't be there is a huge selling point, in my opinion. You can't put a value on something like that.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Zac,

Do you really think it needs to be as good as PV or NGLA as that seems like a ridiculous standard in order to insure success?

To INSURE success? Yes, I think it needs to be at least close to that good (and by close I mean definitely world top 100 quality).  To build a world class club with world class membership, the course has to be world class.  It may be possible to build it with an above average course...but it will be hard work.  Building a truly great course does some of the heavy lifting for you. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »
Members from Hollywood is a good thing?

If Pink Floyd can be good members, why not Hollywood types. You just have to have the ability to throw them out. Then they will behave...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »

To build a world class club with world class membership, the course has to be world class. 

"World class membership".... What does this even mean? How about a club where people who love golf can have access to a great course? How many people at top 15 clubs are members there because they love the course or rather is it because they joined for social/status purposes? I certainly hope that TBC doesn't adopt the thought that if you are a member at this place, then and only then can you be a member here.

You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Tim Martin

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »

To build a world class club with world class membership, the course has to be world class. 

"World class membership".... What does this even mean? How about a club where people who love golf can have access to a great course? How many people at top 15 clubs are members there because they love the course or rather is it because they joined for social/status purposes? I certainly hope that TBC doesn't adopt the thought that if you are a member at this place, then and only then can you be a member here.

+1

CStrange

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
There has been plenty of hype and pics on Twitter.  Enough to track down the property and get a glimpse of what's going on.  As many had speculated it is Round Valley Golf Course.  King-Collins on site recently.  Sorry for the spoiler.

Go Utes.

Here is the routing sketch from Twitter laid over the current property.

A panoramic of the new land with golf course far right.  Land has been disced and it looks like there is plenty of usable acreage.

Google Earth View of The New land.  Looks like there be a River Bottom 9 and Hillside 9.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 11:15:50 PM »
The fact that guys like JK won't be there is a huge selling point, in my opinion. You can't put a value on something like that.

If you can't put a ring on it you ain't joining nothing you visit twice a year.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »

A little more info about the routing. I feel like this course is missing  short par 3.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:26:22 AM by Emile Bonfiglio »
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Josh Tarble

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »

Oh I'm sorry, by world class I mean the richest assholes on the planet. 

Dan Smoot

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:43 AM »
Quite interesting if it is the site of Round Valley.  I had been trying to imagine where this might be.  The existing course is flat and with no notable features.  It never really excited me although I played it a handful of times because it was reasonably close to where I live and never crowded.  They did add 9 holes up on the hillside about 10 - 15 years ago.  That terrain was steep and had a crazy, narrow, steep downhill par 5 that felt like you were hitting into a chute from the tee box.  I assume from a lack of play and maybe interest, they let that 9 fall back into pasture/hay field.  I do remember a couple of times competing with cattle on that 9.

We will have to wait to see what the creative juices of the golf architect will produce.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back