News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Great holes with a blind tee shot
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
Cruden Bay #15 (named Blin' Dunt), a par 3 extraordinaire
Lahinch's par 3 Dell hole, another above average par 3
Maidstone's 8th (ok, so I like blind par threes!)
If forced to pick just one, it would be Sunningdale's 7th.

John, if you like blind par-3's you need to visit Painswick! Ref 15th at CB, I'm a fan as well hence my earlier nomination, although I appreciate others aren't!

Some other holes not yet mentioned -

Cleeve Cloud - 1st - par-5 over the ridge (and carpark!).
Stinchcombe Hill - 1st - short par-4 with a thin raised tree.
St Olaf at Cruden Bay - 6th - par-4 over the ridge and turn hard left. Great greensite as well.
Golspie - 7th - short par-4
17th at Raydr (Cardiff) - par-4 drive up and over a raised road (with 'protective' fencing).

Atb

MCirba

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
No love for 18 at Merion?

Ed,

I mentioned that one already.

Mike Feeney,

Nice summation on 14 at Metacomet I mentioned earlier.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim Franklin

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »
#17 Dismal River Red is a pretty good hole!

Forgot about this one. Definitely up there in the favorite blind tee shot holes.
Mr Hurricane

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
Here are a few more to consider, some of which may not be as well known as others, but they are all good golf holes, in my estimation:
  • Bala - Hole No. 2 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Bala - Hole No. 15 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Engineers - Hole No. 16 - Roslyn Harbor, New York
  • Engineers - Hole No. 17 - Roslyn Harbor, New York
  • Indiana - Hole No. 14 - Indiana, Pennsylvania
  • Lebanon - Hole No. 15 - Lebanon, Pennsylvania
  • Lehigh - Hole No. 14 - Allentown, Pennsylvania
  • Maketewah - Hole No. 17 - Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Malone East - Hole No. 9 - Malone, New York
  • Meadia Heights - Hole No. 6 - Lancaster, Pennsylvania
  • Miami View - Hole No. 12 - Miamitown, Ohio
  • North Hills - Hole No. 10 - North Hills, Pennsylvania
  • Somerset Hills - Hole No. 17 - Bernardsville, New Jersey
  • Wanango - Hole No. 11 - Reno, Pennsylvania
  • Wanango - Hole No. 16 - Reno, Pennsylvania
And how about blind par-3s? Pocono Manor in Pennsylvania has two on the front nine: Nos. 3 and 7!

I agree that No. 3 at Stonewall North is a fantastic example of a good blind tee shot.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:13:55 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Rick Lane

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
4th at Garden City as well as the 16th? 

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
#1 at Royal New Kent

#18 at Tobacco Road

#3 at the Country Club

#4 and #10 at Belmont CC

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
The 6th at De Pan. Blind tee shot and blind approach shot into the green. Fantastic hole.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »
8 and 17 at Dornoch require the player to make a clear choice and execute well.  I have played them only three times, and I am unsure about the best strategy.  Of course, the strength and direction of the wind is an important factor. 

In each case, playing over the hill requires a carry of perhaps 220 yards, preferably moving right to left to hold the fairways curving in that direction.  Playing from the right rough is no bargain on either hole since the greens are protected short and right with bunkers.

Playing from up top provides a nice view of the each green but a much longer shot.  The 17 green, in particular, is not as receptive from that angle with the large, steep bank on the left side of the green.

Glenn beat me to it - The two tee shots at Royal Dornuch were the first that I thought of. If we include par 3's I don't think 15 on Gullane #3 has been mentioned. I like that it's blind from tee and the hole slowly reveals the results with every step taken forward on this downhiller. And on a windy day, the 8th at Nairn is a blind drive on a reachable par 4.

In the U.S. how about the 4th at Sweetens Cove, the 6th at Kapalua, and a couple at Peachtree that I'll get the #'s wrong on.

And 4th/5th at Falkenstein. You can't see a good one land, although they might not be as blind as you are looking for.

MW

corey miller

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »

Sleepy Hollow #5

Result of a renovation.  Back tee moved to original spot near #4 green, middle tee recently moved to create angle closer to the original.  Over a hill to a wide open fairway with the potential for seventy yards of roll.  Great view including a skyline green. 

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »
I'll think about this properly, but close to home:

Old Course 5th - You know you have all of Fife to the left and the prevailing wind coming (and helping) from that direction, but with the flag tempting a line to the right and the worry of a pull snagging on the bank, the blind "Seven Sisters" become magnetic. From a good drive, the near-greatness of the approach and green complex is really in play.

New Course 10th - Very similar, but played in the opposite direction. All of Fife to the right, but a blind second with horrible angle over gorse and dunes. You want to be centre-left from the tee to open up the green, but will be severely hampered with the slightest of pulls riding the wind into sharp humps on the left flank.

Both fine holes without the blind drives, but the uneasiness adds another dimension of interest and challenge.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:45:51 AM by Clyde Johnson »

Tim Martin

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:14 PM »
Glens Falls #'s 4 and 6

Ted Sirbaugh

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
Somerset Hills #15 and #11 are two of my favorites... also really like Mountain Lake #12

Tim Gallant

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
Seeing a number of par-3s mentioned here (and nominating two myself!), I must ask the question: is there a bad blind par-3 that you have played? If so, which is the hole, and what made it bad or uninteresting? My guess is it depends largely on the green complex and the interesting shots, stances and putts that can be had once nearer to the hole. However, in every case I can think of, the blindness adds to the strength of a hole, it never hinders.

One such par-3 that I have in mind is number 4 at Dunaverty, where you play over the crest of the ground to a sunken and bunkerless green at the foot of a large hill. I really enjoyed it and although I wouldn't necessarily categorise it as great, I would say the blindness certainly contributes to its otherwise average qualities as a hole.

While variety is the name of the game and I wouldn't want to see every par 3 blind (just as I wouldn't want to see every par-3 as a biarritz), very few times do I encounter a blind par-3 and not get the tingles. To me, the blind par-3 can delay gratification and heighten anticipation. In a world where instant gratification is king, isn't it nice to have some of that gratification delayed, if only for 3 minutes? By this nature, is the hole not great on the merit that it excites and intrigues? I suppose most arguments against the greatness of the blind par-3 hole start and end with fairness and individual scores...how utterly boring.

Chris Roselle

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Always been a fan of the the 18th hole at Gulph Mills GC which is blind off the tee and for the most part is blind on the approach.

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »
#1 at Royal New Kent

#18 at Tobacco Road

#3 at the Country Club

#4 and #10 at Belmont CC

Hi Dan,

If you are talking about Belmont in Massachusetts, are you sure you don't mean 11? 11 is maybe my favorite hole on the course and is definitively a blind tee shot. 10 is not really blind.

I think #5 at The Country Club is a fantastic blind par 4 that hasn't been mentioned yet. 15 from the new back tee, which makes it a skyline blind tee shot, is also a good hole.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »
Tobacco Road #7, #15 & #16 are for sure blind, but great!?!?
Is Mid Pines #12 really what you would call blind?
In the NLE category, Beechtree #12.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2017, 09:41:02 AM »

Hi Dan,

If you are talking about Belmont in Massachusetts, are you sure you don't mean 11? 11 is maybe my favorite hole on the course and is definitively a blind tee shot. 10 is not really blind.

I think #5 at The Country Club is a fantastic blind par 4 that hasn't been mentioned yet. 15 from the new back tee, which makes it a skyline blind tee shot, is also a good hole.

Hi John,

You're probably right. The times I've played there (coaching) my round has started in the middle of the course. So I probably have my holes mixed up.

Dan

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:45:38 AM by Dan_Callahan »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 03:31:43 PM »
Perranporth has a few. I'd have to brush up my memory to determine which and whether any might be great.

Possibly the 5th when it plays downwind?

What about Bude's 14th?  I am quite fond of th 6th too.

Ciao

I don't recall Bude's 14th as being blind drive. Blind approach yes, drive no. Perhaps you meant the 12th, which you were fond of (as was I). The 6th is a good one too.

I need to restore my pictures to the Perranporth crazy thread to more intelligently comment on it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Weersing

« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
No. 5 at Ballyhack has a blind tee shot but the fairway is 100 yards wide and so there is a preferred side depending on where the hole is.

Mike Schott

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »
Mid Pines #12
Sylvania  #14
Inverness #4
Marquette gc #8
Scioto #16
Franklin hills #2

Don't think they are great holes but what are your thoughts about 2 and 4 at U of M?

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the 4th hole at Bandon Trails, though I suppose it's only considered a blind tee shot if one plays a more aggressive line over the ridge.  One of the best par 4's at the resort.  And of course, a couple holes later you have the blind tee shot on #6.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:33:20 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
The 17th hole at The Old Course should put to bed any concerns that a great hole cannot include a blind drive.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JLahrman

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the 4th hole at Bandon Trails, though I suppose it's only considered a blind tee shot if one plays a more aggressive line over the ridge.  One of the best par 4's at the resort.  And of course, a couple holes later you have the blind tee shot on #6.

I like both holes very much...but is #6 on Trails a blind tee shot? I don't remember it as such.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
The 6th is very much a blind shot, as the fairway drops away pretty substantially beyond the centerline bunker.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
Mike,

For the old and feeble amongst us, hitting it beyond the center bunker is not an option, so the hole is only blind for young bucks like you (or have you been playing the gold, or orange tees?).
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back