News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Great holes with a blind tee shot
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
The Road Hole - blindness off the tee adds to the hole.  Actually many of the holes at the Old Course fit the bill - particularly on the front nine. 

If par 3's count, I would include 5 at Prestwick - the blindness makes the hole.  The Redan would be another although I think the greatness of that hole is in spite of the blindness.  I do not think the Dell Hole qualifies as great although it is cool. 

MCirba

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »

18 Riv?
Pete Dye has done some nice ones. 14 at Stonebridge Ranch is good, with two bunkers lining up the shot line.
Haven't been there in a while, but similar to 10 at Shinny where at least a good portion of the fairway disappears off the tee.

I'm with Mark F on this one a little bit.  We are listing blind tee shots.  In most cases, for many golfers, a hole might be great in spite of a blind tee shot as much as great because of a blind tee shot. 

To parse it even further there are holes that let you play one area that is visible, while the premium area is not, which I call the option to not outdrive your headlights.  Do those count as blind shots if optional route is blind?

P.S. to MCirba:  It's #3 at Stonewall North that you were thinking of, I believe?  Not the par-3 over the wall, but the up and over par-5, that's a shameless rip-off of the 4th at Royal Melbourne (West) ... and makes the routing of the whole front nine fall into place.

Tom,

Yes, i corrected above, thanks.

Now that I think about it both the drive and the approach at 14 at Metacomet are blind. Still a great hole.

Did anyone mention 16 at Mid-Ocean or 18 at Merion yet?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:18:24 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark_Fine

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
Tom,
There are a few holes where the blindness of the tee shot is the best part of the hole but honestly I can't think of too many of those.  The Dell hole for example might be one of them but I wonder if the locals who play it all the time feel the same way? 

You mentioned #8 at Pebble.  The tee shot pales compared to the second shot which is one of the greatest in all of golf.

I am not sure I would purposely seek out blind tee shots thinking they will help make a hole great but if they are necessary in the routing of a golf course they can work just fine.  They even help keep those people who make the big mirrors in business as well as allow the courses to buy fancy bells etc.  And some courses even put up parascopes to make sure the group is clear in front and it is safe to hit :)

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »
Does Fazio have any?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
5 Los Angeles North
8 Prairie Dunes

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
The Average Golfer says:
More blind shots than most give us credit for accepting and appreciating; but less blind shots than the sophisticates drool over at obscure British links.
No. 6 on Dr Mac's list of "13 Principles" says: "There should be a minimum of blindness for the approach shots". Clever man -- i.e. no mention of keeping blindness off the tee to a minimum (thus appealing to the sophisticates) but urging such a minimum for approach shots (as a nod to us hacks!).
Peter

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:59:42 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Will Lozier

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
Two of Alwoodley's less renowned holes feature blind tee balls - #2 & #16. I certainly wouldn't call either "great" holes, but it is a great course and those two shots are unique IMO.

A few more "good" holes on favorite courses that come to mind...

#2 Kebo Valley
#17 Springfield Country Club
#11 Sunningdale Old
#7 RSG

Scott Little

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
#2 at Lawsonia is one of my favorite holes.  There is an element of discomfort in that tee shot where you have to trust yourself to hit it far enough right to prevent an awkward approach.

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
A very good one is Shoreacres #13.  Gives just enough pucker factor that you have to hit a blind draw, knowing that there's trouble lurking if you overcook or block it.  Then there's the suspenseful climb up the hill to see the result.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
Tara Iti #12

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
Old Sandwich #14
Sleepy Hollow #'s 5 and 13

Rob Marshall

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
Royal County Down has a few.

Is the 5th at Lahinch a great hole or a gimmick?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
Some that haven't been mentioned -
Tenby - 4th

Why would anyone want to drive it far enough at the 4th to turn it into a blind drive? It seems the second is much better from the top of the hill than over the hill and down in the valley.

Besides, I don't think you can even hit it far enough to make the drive blind Dai. At least not from the tees I played.
On second thought, depending on the wind, you may very well be able to hit it far enough some days. What may be great about the hole is the choice of whether you want to make the tee shot blind or not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:00:30 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
Does Fazio have any?

Fazio doesn't have the cajones to create any.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Cowden

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
Dismal River Red No. 17:  Great because of the blind tee shot, but the second shot is pretty cool, too, regardless of where it's taken from. 

Ballyneal No. 15:  A blast of a blind one shotter; wind and pin placement both contribute interest and intrigue. 

Tim Fitz

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
In Chicago, a handful stand out.  #13 at Shoreacres was already mentioned.

Heading south, Beverly has two tee shots that involve some suspense. #7 is a fairly straight hole, but you can't see over heartbreak hill from the tee box.  I like the tee shot on #13 better - cresting the hill to see (i) where your tee shot landed and (ii) where the pin is placed (which means your tee shot might not have been that great after all) is a real treat.

Further south still, and my favorite hole with a blind tee shot in Chicago is #3 at Olympia Fields.

For a town without a lot of terrain, we have a handful of pretty great holes that involve a blind drive.

Bill Raffo

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
10th at Shinnecock. Love that hole, hit it in the right spot and it bounds and bounds, short iron in. Miss or spin it the wrong way in the wind and you're looking in the tall grass and hoping to make bogey.  Great crowned green as well.

David_Elvins

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »
1 RME
5 NSW
5 lost farm should be blind if you are half decent and dont whimp out. As should 3 barnbougle.
9 Cape Wickham
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »
I am struggling with the notion that blind tee shots need to be defended at all as a positive. No, I would not want to play a course with more than a few, but that is true of any overly repeated feature. Why do some people object to blind tee shots on principle?

Ira

Garland Bayley

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »
Perranporth has a few. I'd have to brush up my memory to determine which and whether any might be great.

BCowan

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
Mid Pines #12
Sylvania  #14
Inverness #4
Marquette gc #8
Scioto #16
Franklin hills #2
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:00:35 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

PCCraig

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
3rd at Old Macdonald is a pretty terrific blind tee shot on a very good hole.

I love the blind tee shot at the 18th at White Bear Yacht Club. The aiming point is a small white statue of a Polar Bear, which appears to be walking on the horizon. When you climb the hill, you are rewarded with an awesome view of White Bear Lake and the Golf House.
H.P.S.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
12 Old Head (Certainly an epic setting)
14 TOC
15 Rosapenna OTM (It's part of the Coastguard 9 now)

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
Perranporth has a few. I'd have to brush up my memory to determine which and whether any might be great.

Possibly the 5th when it plays downwind?

What about Bude's 14th?  I am quite fond of th 6th too.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Jason Topp

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
I love the blind tee shot at the 18th at White Bear Yacht Club. The aiming point is a small white statue of a Polar Bear, which appears to be walking on the horizon. When you climb the hill, you are rewarded with an awesome view of White Bear Lake and the Golf House.

I have a vague recollection that the pond near the green is original.  It has always seemed like the work of a green committee in the 1960's to me.  I would love to have that hole designed as a blind drivable par 4. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back