News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

All our threads and all our posts here can be placed in one of a limited number of 'baskets'
Which basket do you think is the most important one? Which has the most value, or has the potential to do the most good?
(You can define what 'important', 'value' and 'good' means to you).
Is it where to play/what ranks highest?
Equipment?
Sustainability?
New projects/renovations?
History, and historical research?
Construction and maintenance practices?
Publicity and Marketing?
Organizing gca.com events?
Etc

Peter   

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:42:54 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Duncan Cheslett

Re: What do you think is the most important topic/issue we discuss here?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:20:14 AM »
Navel gazing analysis threads.

;)

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:54 AM »
Peter, it's quite obvious....

It's the "Mucci basket"...:-)

But, seriously, to channel Pat, we should focus more on core GCA issues and less "OT" topics.
Or, have Ran implement an "OT section" like many other hobby forums have.

I love all things related to golf courses - travel, photos, architectural discussions, etc.
The rest is just filler.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:24:16 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:44:57 AM »
Peter,

I'd say, simply, it is people...for myriad reasons.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »
All our threads and all our posts here can be placed in one of a limited number of 'baskets'
Which basket do you think is the most important one? Which has the most value, or has the potential to do the most good?
(You can define what 'important', 'value' and 'good' means to you).
Is it where to play/what ranks highest?
Equipment?
Sustainability?
New projects/renovations?
History, and historical research?
Construction and maintenance practices?
Publicity and Marketing?
Organizing gca.com events?
Etc

Peter

Pietro

You caught one of the most important...gca.com events because any discussion board is ultimately about the people.

The second you didn't catch...the bloody courses. For me, after the folks, it is seeing the course tours which keeps me coming back.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
I like that there are many people here that are in tuned to what's going on in the world of GCA and post in real time ie: changes at Dornoch and Shinnecock.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 09:06:41 AM »
I'd very, very much like it to be about sustainability and biodiversity, but I realise they might not be the sexiest subjects for most around here, so Course tours will have to suffice.
However, compared to most of the news nowadays, there's very little important about golf course architecture.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Connolly

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
I'd very, very much like it to be about sustainability and biodiversity, but I realise they might not be the sexiest subjects for most around here, so Course tours will have to suffice.
However, compared to most of the news nowadays, there's very little important about golf course architecture.
F.

By that standard, nothing is important. I don't think anyone here is confused by the position of golf architecture in the world order.  ::)
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Pete,

We're all here for different reasons, even if we're united in common themes/causes otherwise.

I mainly come for seeing something new or cool that blows my hair back.  I still vividly recall seeing pictures of Lakota Canyon for the first time.  I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but for me....it was something I had never seen before and it was intriguing and I eventually played it.

I could say the same for at least a few dozen other courses I've seen here as well.  Sure I'll never get to play most of them, but its that spirit of adventure of something new and unique that keeps me coming back.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
The Greatness of ...
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »
The threads about how few clubs posters use to play golf.

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
Buddy up and rake n runners. Cultural threads

Pat Burke

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
water

drier, firmer golf ideally, becoming more acceptable, influencing the architecture more.

James Brown

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
1.  Learning about the great courses.

2.  Understanding the perspectives of the people who actually run courses.

3.  Hearing about new courses in development.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »

What's new ... it's why most come to the site.
See what's being built, what the new ideas are being tried, find out who's doing what.

On a bad day this is devolves to Golf Club TMZ ...
On a good day its full of insight and you re given the gift of some really interesting courses worth going to see.

The other reason is history, the site has always been very good at figuring out who did what and when.
If you ignore the battles of ego, the insights surrounding history is often tremendous.
-

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
To the outside world it’s probably. 1) promoting firm and fast golf where the quality of the soil and turf significantly enhances options & fun while letting the design really shine through.
2) highlighting truly minimalist designs like the Loop @ Forest Dunes and Sweetens Cove that may show a way forward for the game.
3) debunking the sacred cows of magazine rankings
Internally, it’s getting to pick Archie’s thoughts on specific holes and the details of strategy and routing from a GCA’s perspective as well as all the great historical discoveries done by many here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:55:22 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 08:03:40 AM »
water

drier, firmer golf ideally, becoming more acceptable, influencing the architecture more.

I'd second that, but offer the corrollary topic of drainage, as the water goes, so goes the golf ball...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
For years the most important part of the site to me was the tremendous amount of early historical research presented, discussed, and dissected.  Sadly, that his diminished significantly over the last handful of years.

So what use to be second for me is now first:  discussion of the nuts-and-bolts of architecture by many of the talented architects in the business.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 01:28:12 AM »
The future of golf.

The top ~30 or so courses will both survive and prevail.  The next ~30-500 will survive.  So will the large but declining well kept and well kent local courses.  The ones in the middle (85+% of all the golf courses in the world) will all struggle to survive.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 02:51:34 AM »
The future of golf.

The top ~30 or so courses will both survive and prevail.  The next ~30-500 will survive.  So will the large but declining well kept and well kent local courses.  The ones in the middle (85+% of all the golf courses in the world) will all struggle to survive.

Yes, I fully agree. The future of golf and the role golf course architecture has to play to keep the game attractive, sustainable and prosperous on the long run.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 04:20:30 AM »
Shame that Mr Photobucket's recent activity has deprived us of so many wonderful historically posted photo-tours, misc photo analysis and the like and the ability to carry on posting them. That has always been a real highlight in terms of sharing information, learning and education.
Tips on photo-sharing in the post-Photobucket era would be appreciated.
atb

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 07:36:19 AM »
I would say the most important topic is how golf course architecture can make the game more fun and challenging without necessarily making it more difficult.  I had never been to the UK and Ireland before last year and now having played maybe 30 rounds over there I can see how a course can be fun and challenging without being extremely difficult. It brought home to me what some of today's architects have learned from those courses and brought it to the US. So as we discuss the courses in the US which we feel are great examples of quality architecture we see so many that are fun and challenging but not necessarily extremely difficult.  By extremely difficult I mean courses that require shots that only the very best players can execute. There is a place for the extremely difficult courses and they can certainly be great architecture but those that are not extremely difficult can be great as well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
Jerry: well put.

Jud_T:  did you really describe Sweetens Cove as minimalist?  I have not been there but every description I have read makes it sound like a total shape-fest on what was once flat ground.  That's fine if you like it, but calling that minimalist just confuses the subject completely.  It's got more in common with Tobacco Road than The Loop.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Jerry: well put.

Jud_T:  did you really describe Sweetens Cove as minimalist?  I have not been there but every description I have read makes it sound like a total shape-fest on what was once flat ground.  That's fine if you like it, but calling that minimalist just confuses the subject completely.  It's got more in common with Tobacco Road than The Loop.

Yes, I found the suggestion that SC was minimalist as a bit odd too. I love the place to death, but when you sand cap a site it's hard to call it minimal.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

BCowan

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
SC is also on heavy clay.  Debunking the sand elitist world view...  As thee Cove plays fast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back