News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

OT- Did I make a hole-in-one?
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »
I was about to go off the first tee as a single behind about 10 foursomes, and I was told there was no one on the tee sheet behind me. So I decided to play one ball from the blue tees and one ball from black tees (tips). I did that for 5 holes, then a single caught up with me and I played from just the blue tees for the rest of the front 9.

The single left after 9, so I went back to playing 2 balls on the two sets of tees on #10, a par 3. I hit from the blue tees, then I hit from the black tees and it went in the hole. I made a par 3 with my blue tee ball. A twosome then caught me, so I went back to playing one ball for the last 8 holes of the back nine. Naturally, I played the rest of the 9 from the black tees. I played the entire back 9 with the twosome and posted a 9 hole score for the back 9.

Did I make a hole-in-one? Was it legal (USGA rules) to post that back 9 score? If so, what would I take on hole #10 other than a 1?

ward peyronnin

Re: OT- Did I make a hole-in-one?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
Did anyone witness the ball hole out in one? If not it was not official .
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »

What if he had made a two on the hole, without any witness? Does that count?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
No. It's called a Huckaby. Sometimes you just get a good story.

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:51:19 PM »

No. In fact, I didn't even witness it. This was at #10 at Gamble Sands. The ball reached the top of the hill in front of a bunker. I turned away since I thought it had come to rest. When I looked back, the ball was no longer at the top of the hill, and I was 99% sure it had gone in the hole. (100% sure after I found it in the hole). There was no outside agency anywhere nearby that could have moved it into the hole.
Well, I guess it depends on your definition of 'witness'. There are uphill par 3s where you don't see the ball land or go into the hole.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »
Ah, damn, just found this:
https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=148&Rule=100

b) says it doesn't count since I played 2 balls.

So probably I shouldn't have posted the score either. Oh well.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:25 PM »
It counts and since you posted it here you owe 1500 drinks.  And BTW - CONGRATS!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »
Since every course now is in love with building par 3 short courses can we make it clear that getting the ball in the hole in one stroke is not a hole in one. Please, keep those and your TopGolf shots to yourself. 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »
It counts and since you posted it here you owe 1500 drinks.  And BTW - CONGRATS!

Karma.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »
Who really cares?  Except you.  If you knocked in it in one shot, then it's up to you to decide whether you made a "hole in one."  If you're happy, then I'm happy.  Wait, it's "not official."  How much money are you losing on that?  Do you care about money in golf?  I say "great shot" and wish I'd done it.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Congratulations.
Let's make GCA grate again!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
Who really cares?  Except you.  If you knocked in it in one shot, then it's up to you to decide whether you made a "hole in one."  If you're happy, then I'm happy.  Wait, it's "not official."  How much money are you losing on that?  Do you care about money in golf?  I say "great shot" and wish I'd done it.

I care...Great story, thanks for sharing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
I had a hole in three at Dunes Club about five years ago. The ball went in the hole after I hit the first ball into the lumberyard. Didn't count but it still went in the hole.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rick Lane

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »
I had a hole in three at Dunes Club about five years ago. The ball went in the hole after I hit the first ball into the lumberyard. Didn't count but it still went in the hole.

I think that's called a "hole in 3".   I have a friend who has two of those!   ;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »

I also had one of those last year playing with Brad Tufts at his club Tedesco, holed out after dumping first shot in a pond.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jason Connor

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
I want to know why you hit from blue then went BACK and played Black!?
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Brad Tufts

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »

I also had one of those last year playing with Brad Tufts at his club Tedesco, holed out after dumping first shot in a pond.

I got my beer!!  I had a "hole-in-three" as well at Jeffersonville, but my first shot was inadvertently hit with the wrong club (literally thought I had a 9 in my hand, but it turned out to be a PW) so I re-teed for shits.  When the second one went in, I never touched my first one short of the green and left it there to "preserve the 3."  Lots of fuzzy not-even-close to USGA standards there...

I've only had one real one, with Jeff Siskind on #7 at Chechessee in 2006 or so.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

astavrides

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:54 PM »
I want to know why you hit from blue then went BACK and played Black!?

The markers were in the same place on that hole. I was playing prov1 from blues and prov1x from blacks and i happened to pull a prov1 out first.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back