GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Limekiln GC, Horsham, PA sold...course now " Permanently Closed"

<< < (2/7) > >>

Steve_ Shaffer:
Regardless of what one thinks about the architecture or conditions at Limekiln, it was very popular at one time. I understand that they did more than 75,000 rounds in the early 2000s. Weekends were very busy and there were many workday after work leagues. As Mike said, a quick 9 before or after work was always possible. Price and convenience are key for the retail golfer. The Phillies connection helped too.   I have no idea about the amount of current play there since I moved away 5 years ago. 

Fairways in nearby Warrington (Par65)  is still open.

So far, no land development plans or zoning applications have been filed.

MCirba:
I moved to Horsham in the late 1980s and at the time, the following public courses existed, making me believe that God had wanted me to play much more golf than I had been at the time.   

Hidden Springs (36)  (NLE - soon became redesigned 18-hole private Commonwealth National)
Horsham Valley (18) (NLE)
Limekiln (27) - (soon to be 9)
Twining Valley (18)
Neshaminy Valley (18)
Fairways  (18)

There are plenty of private options in the area.   

One bright spot as Kyle mentioned is that Five Ponds was created and that LuLu is now semi-private.

Ed Brzezowski:
Ok the world will not remember the course when it goes away. Certainly it would not crack the top 1000 in the U.S. But kids in the area will no longer have a reasonable place to play at a reasonable price.

We need courses like this to help kids develop a love of the game and hopefully an interest in architecture. I know it did for me, they always looked the other way if you were trying to sneak in extra nine holes in without paying. Matt give me a call, let's go play all 27 some day soon.

ed

Matt Frey, PGA:
Sounds good, Ed! Couldn't agree with you more on the growth of the game aspect.

Ed Brzezowski:

--- Quote from: Matt Frey, PGA on August 11, 2017, 01:58:50 PM ---Sounds good, Ed! Couldn't agree with you more on the growth of the game aspect.

--- End quote ---

we have to have avenues for these kids to get interested

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version