News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

R& A designates 10 fairway OB for golfers playing 9
« on: July 21, 2017, 01:36:08 AM »
has this ever occurred before. USGA planted a tree once. I understand the safety issue but am surprised the R and A would do this. This is the same group that plays dodgeball at the Old Course every 5 years.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:42:14 AM by mike_beene »

Josh Stevens

Re: R& A designates 10 fairway OB for golfers playing 9
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:43:47 AM »
My understanding is that such a line would require a tee shot straight over the top of a grandstand.

I'm sure most of those teeing it up can probably get the ball in the air more often than not, but given the wind and wild weather, I don't think I would like to be in those stands and getting a slightly thin Jason Day drive between the eyes.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:46:11 AM »
Seen the concept done a few times before sometimes for safety, sometimes for speed of play etc purposes. I've no real worries with internal OB if is keeps pace of play moving and is safer for all.
At TOC you know there are other players playing so you ought to be aware and keep a look-out and the nature of the terrain is such that you can usually see the incoming 1.68" missile or someone else will. At other courses missiles can arrive unseen, which can be both painful and take up time in finding where they finish.
atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
OK, then BRING BACK THE DOWIE !!!

:)

John McCarthy

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
When The Western Open was played at Butler National the 10th fairway was OB for players on the 18th. 

10 offered a clear shot with no water to carry and no trees in the middle of the fairway. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
As wildly as some of these guys can block the ball, with the right wind I assume someone could accidentally drive it into 10 which would be interesting. I always wondered if anyone would play 5 at Oakmont down 5 fairway? Seems like a shortcut but not sure about the angle in.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 01:58:30 AM »
When The Western Open was played at Butler National the 10th fairway was OB for players on the 18th. 

10 offered a clear shot with no water to carry and no trees in the middle of the fairway.
John, that wasn't true from the start in 1974, was it? I recall someone, maybe Gary McCord, smacking it down 10 from the 18th tee for exactly that reason in '74, though you had to clear a copse of trees and a creek to get to 10 fairway. Maybe he triggered it?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
Same at Kemper Lakes #18 during PGA championship

John McCarthy

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »

John, that wasn't true from the start in 1974, was it? I recall someone, maybe Gary McCord, smacking it down 10 from the 18th tee for exactly that reason in '74, though you had to clear a copse of trees and a creek to get to 10 fairway. Maybe he triggered it?

Tim:. I was five in 1974 and more interested in Ray Rayner than Jack Nicklaus, so I am compelled to take your word for it. 
It was the way to play that hole, even from the rough.  You just had to get the ball up fast. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:26:02 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back