News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC New
« on: July 18, 2017, 03:53:11 AM »
Opened for play in 1914, Crosland Heath represents an early effort in Dr A MacKenzie’s career.  The course is located a few miles southwest of Huddersfield (not far from Leeds in the heart of Dr Mac country) in the Pennines with lovely and plentiful views over the Colne Valley. The main interest of the design is how the quarries at the top of the property are used.  Four of the five par 3s are located in this area and all require forced carries over great chasms.  Much of the course feels repetitive in that the routing traverses and descends from the quarries.  This hill climbing does become tiresome not because of the walk, but because so many uphill approaches are the necessary result. That said, this is the only way to revisit the quarries several times.  Dr MacKenzie takes the golfer to the prime feature of the property for #s 1, 2, 9, 12 & 17....and yes, this routing does involve some criss-crossing! 

The par five first looks a dull, uphill hole until we reach the green.  Dr Mac wisely wasted no time in getting to the meat of the matter.

The second offers another taste of the quarries.

This photo is included to give the reader an idea of what is required for a successful recovery and to applaud the club for offering reasonable recoveries.  Much of the flat areas around the quarry greens are sensibly cut. 

The three-shot third heads back down the hill and turns left around a rather exposed house.  The clever 4th climbs sideways and adjacent to the practice ground.  The hole would have a much greater visual impact with the trees cut down and the stone wall exposed in all its glory.  However, the trees do offer some protection for those who feel the need to practice.  The copse on the right could do with a 25% reduction, but again, the 1st tee is over there.  I think people would be safer if they could see the potential danger, but health and safety committees disagree.

Part of the green is behind the wall!

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 05:02:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC: 1-4
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »
I've seen photos similar to Sean's second photo of the 1st green before and always assumed it was a par-3. Never thought it was the green on a par-5! Some hole/shot back in the 1920's.
Nice to see the bottoms of steep slopes mowed-out. More options, interesting recoveries, less lost balls, better speed of play. Heartbreaking otherwise.
atb

Sean_A

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC: 1-4 New
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
CROSLAND HEATH TOUR CONT

The bruiser 5th plays along the same line as the 4th, that is sideways up the hill.  I always feel these old courses which are a bit shy on length absolutely need some longer holes to test fairway wood play.  Below is the approach after a few wayward shots. To the right is an observatory open to the public; one of the main benefits of Huddersfield Astronomical Society.  Built in 1979, the dome is 15 feet in diameter and holds a telescope which can magnify up to 1200 times.

The blind 6th is a difficult uphill drive with heather on both flanks of the fairway. Below is a look at the fairway from well in front of the tee.

7 turns back down the hill and is a reachable par 4, but heavy rough and heather will grab any loose tee shots.  #8 heads uphill toward the quarries and features mounding in the fairway and near the green.

Back at the quarries, the 9th is a bit more demanding than the 2nd, but a similar shot.  In fact, this is the main problem with using the quarries for four short holes, they are all basically the same shot, a forced knob to knob carry.   That said, they do play to three different directions so crosswind and headwind tee shots are fairly likely.

We run back down the hill for the modest length par 4 tenth.  The tee shot is blind and the green is protected by a pond which doesn't look as if it belongs.  The photo is from the ladies tee...I wonder if the hole isn't better from here?

You guessed it, we turn back and climb once again!  I did find this constant up and down routing a bit annoying.  The 12th takes us out of the quarry with a par 3. 

Similar to Moortown, there are some well forward tees which are very small!  The 8th green is in the background.

Time for some big hitting, the three-shot 13th is a good hole with a sloping fairway.  Perhaps a bit more fairway could be on offer down the left as in firm conditions it can be hard to hold the fairway. Crosland Heath is generally light on bunkers, especially in fairways.  Perhaps the use of a few more would break up the similar visuals of holes. 

The only par 3 not around the quarries, the diminutive 14th weighs in at 107 yards.  This photo is well in front of the tee.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:17:14 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC: 1-14
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Thanks for this tour.  Based on what I've seen, old quarries are used quite effectively in England!

Really nice seeing how recoveries are still possible - just not easy.

Sean_A

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC: 1-14 New
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »
Thanks for this tour.  Based on what I've seen, old quarries are used quite effectively in England!

Really nice seeing how recoveries are still possible - just not easy.

It looks to me like the club is trying to regenerate heather...which may see the reduction of recoveries  8)

CROSLAND HEATH TOUR CONT

The final par 5 is a bit dangerous with a road running down the right flank.  Horrible trees have been planted, but the "fix" really should involve shifting the fairway left and probably moving the oddly placed 16th tee across the 5th fairway.   I didn't take to this hole.  The 16th has a bit of James Brown humour:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGdmY0N1qZA

The interesting green too is out of sight due to the dogleg.  The green is also tucked links-like between large mounds.

I think that if the club is serious about the heathland aspect to the title, then trees will need to be addressed.  They aren't a huge problem at all, but heather does better with less trees.  In the case below, trees are planted for safety reasons, but all they really accomplish is prohibiting players from achieving the best angle.

Back in the quarries, another forced carry for the 17th.

Even from the ladies tee there is an aerial requirement which a decent percentage of golfers can't do successfully.

The blind 18th is another dangerous hole.  The parking lot is down the left and marked by a long white pole.  The fairway slopes toward the lot!  Maybe the club should remove the right rough and combine the 18th with the 10th.  Of course, some mechanism whereby the landing zone can be seen would then be essential.  Below is the approach to a green sliding away from play. The 4th fairway is in the background.

I am in two minds about Crosland Heath.  I did find the course a bit disappointing because of the repetitive nature of many shots.  On the other hand, the quarry has to be used and if its use is to be maximized then Dr Mac's solution is perfect.  Perhaps the bigger issue is with holes climbing so often to reach the quarries.  Even so, there are many good holes, the location is pretty and the club welcomes visitors at very reasonable prices. 2017

Ciao 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 03:32:54 AM by Sean_A »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
I have played here on a few occasions, including one where one of the quarry holes was unreachable because of the strength of the wind. I also played it in an Open competition which was exceptional value for money.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »
You take a great photo Sean. Crosland Heath looks very enticing.

I've just been on Google Earth for a look and to my shame, have to confess that for the first 18 years of my life, I lived within 5 miles (as the crow flies) of the course, yet have never seen it. However, as anyone who is familiar with Pennine topography and road networks will know, 5 direct miles is probably 3 valleys over and may as well be on the Moon for all the times we'd have headed that way.

I would like to rectify this omission. It looks like it could be fun and a nice double header with Fixby (which I do know)!
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Sean_A

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC New
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 04:58:17 AM »
You take a great photo Sean. Crosland Heath looks very enticing.

I've just been on Google Earth for a look and to my shame, have to confess that for the first 18 years of my life, I lived within 5 miles (as the crow flies) of the course, yet have never seen it. However, as anyone who is familiar with Pennine topography and road networks will know, 5 direct miles is probably 3 valleys over and may as well be on the Moon for all the times we'd have headed that way.

I would like to rectify this omission. It looks like it could be fun and a nice double header with Fixby (which I do know)!

Doc

Cheers.

As your work travel to the Midlands subsides, I am not sure Crosland Heath should be high on your hit list. Its a pleasant game of golf with a few highlights, but not a course I would think is worth extra effort to play.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:06:48 PM by Sean_A »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »

Thanks for the tour Sean.

I played Crossland Heath a lot in the late 70's early 80's. I can recall the 4th when there were no trees down the left and the drystone wall was a prominent feature back then. With it been OOB over the wall it was quite a scary tee shot especially into to wind. I knew they had planted a lot of trees but was quite shocked how claustrophobic the course looks now. It used to be wide open. I really like the course though it is not as good as Fixby (Huddersfield GC) or Ogden which are both quite close by.

Jon

Sean_A

Re: The Quarries of CROSLAND HEATH GC New
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »

Thanks for the tour Sean.

I played Crossland Heath a lot in the late 70's early 80's. I can recall the 4th when there were no trees down the left and the drystone wall was a prominent feature back then. With it been OOB over the wall it was quite a scary tee shot especially into to wind. I knew they had planted a lot of trees but was quite shocked how claustrophobic the course looks now. It used to be wide open. I really like the course though it is not as good as Fixby (Huddersfield GC) or Ogden which are both quite close by.

Jon

Jon

Are most of the trees deliberately planted?  It seems so in many places.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:06:31 PM by Sean_A »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »

Sean,

I suspect most were deliberately planted. I remember back when I played there regularly there was often talk about planting trees to help shelter golfers from the wind. This is of course an illusion that will not work and though it can blow quite hard up there as the course is quite exposed this was one of the courses characteristics. I was shocked at how the 4th looked in your photos.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 04:51:02 AM »
Sean,

I suspect most were deliberately planted. I remember back when I played there regularly there was often talk about planting trees to help shelter golfers from the wind.

Jon

????

Are they daft in YORKS  ;D

Ciao

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:20 AM »

Sean,

I suspect most were deliberately planted. I remember back when I played there regularly there was often talk about planting trees to help shelter golfers from the wind.

Jon

??? ?

Are they daft in YORKS  ;D

Ciao

Sean,

probably the strong winds addled their brains  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back