News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Hoak

Colt, Crump and Pine Valley
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
History records all the different architects that George Crump brought in to advise him on the design of Pine Valley.  But it says that Harry Colt was there the longest time and may have had the most input.
What part of the course shows the Colt influence the most?  I might say the bunkering.  Which holes are most representative of Colt's work and best show that he was there and helpful in the final product?

mike_malone

Re: Colt, Crump and Pine Valley
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »
 I can't answer your question but when I played St. George's Hill last year I felt it was Pine Valley lite.
AKA Mayday

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
Jim, you'll find a lot of information here, in the late Tom MacWood's essay:

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/thomas-macwood-george-arthur-crump-portrait-of-a-legend/

You can also look up the article in the discussion group, as there was a lot of........spirited discussion once the essay was published. Most interesting stuff..........

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Colt was there a lot but Flynn was seconded by Hugh Wilson from Merion to finish the last four holes after Crump died and ended up spending eight years working with the golf course.  It is no wonder Flynn incorporated many design ideas from Pine Valley into his our courses. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back