News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

2019 Golfweek Best Public by State
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
Even though the link references 2017, and the 2018 list is on other parts of the website, and the website does not mention that this is the 2019 list, if you click on a state (and I didn't try every state), it displays what must be the 2019 lists.
https://golfweek.com/2017/12/05/golfweeks-best/

Kalen Braley

Re: 2019 Golfweek Best Public by State
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Can't disagree with the Utah list, other than leaving off one course...South Mountain.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
Oregon looks good. The two Silvies Valley routings are wedged below all the Bandon Dunes courses and above the Bend area 3 of Tetherow, Pronghorn (Nicklaus) and Crosswater.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:06:27 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
I don't think it's fully updated -- it lists Dormie Club as a public course for NC but I don't think they've allowed any public play at all this year.

I also always find these lists a little misleading, because they often include courses that are technically public but aren't actually open to anyone who wants to play. Half of the Georgia list are Reynolds Plantation courses, but you can only play there if you are staying on the resort or have a membership. If you live in the area (or are visiting but not staying in one of their properties), you can't call and make a tee time.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
Dormie allows limited public play. They need the $$$

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »
I don't think it's fully updated -- it lists Dormie Club as a public course for NC but I don't think they've allowed any public play at all this year.

I also always find these lists a little misleading, because they often include courses that are technically public but aren't actually open to anyone who wants to play. Half of the Georgia list are Reynolds Plantation courses, but you can only play there if you are staying on the resort or have a membership. If you live in the area (or are visiting but not staying in one of their properties), you can't call and make a tee time.

There's definitely a ton of gray area in what constitutes "public" golf.

Consider two courses less than 50 miles away in northern California.

CordeValle is "public" and comes in at #7 on the GolfWeek list in California. But the only way to play the course is to stay at the high end resort where the cheapest room option for tonight is $420 (more if you;re playing golf, of course).

Meanwhile, just a bit up the road, the Stanford University course is "private" for Stanford students, faculty, and alumni. Memberships can also be purchased.

However, anyone staying at the Rosewood Sand Hill hotel can play the course as well (it's not publicized on the course's page but the hotel page makes it known). This hotel is also ungodly expensive. A room tonight will set you back $685.

It's weird to say that CordeValle is a public course and Stanford isn't. Even setting the cost of the resorts aside, just the nature of courses where you must stay at a resort is a turn off for me. Pebble Beach is uber expensive but at least most days you can walk up and make a tee time without being a resort guest.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
The no. 1 and no. 2 courses for Tennessee are both 9 holes.

Having played both Sweetens and Sewanee multiple times I can confirm they are wonderful courses, it's just surprising to see them ranked so highly. I'm not sure if their placement is validation of their quality, a statement on the poor state of public golf in Tennessee, or GolfWeek's perspective that 9 hole courses should not be penalized in compared to 18 hole courses.

Also, is Franklin Park in Boston really better than George Wright?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »
That Mass. list seems to have generally the right courses, but not in the right order.  We may have the biggest disparity in quality between private and public golf in the country...lots of greats on the private site especially for a little state, but nothing noteworthy on a national level in terms of publics.  Franklin Park is very cool and a total throwback, but it's high points are relatively few (#3, #12, #14).  Neat that the second oldest public course in the US finds its way onto a list.

Using the 10 listed, I might go:  GW, Red Tail, CCN, Miacomet, Ranch, PH-Nick, Farm Neck, FPark, PH-Rees, C-Fox.  I have not played Miacomet, but by all accounts it's pretty darn good.

The MASSIVE omission is Taconic, which would be easily #1...but not sure how many public rounds they allow these days.  I also think Wachusett (Ross) is better than Franklin Park, and Stockbridge may be "public" based on the Red Lion Inn connection, so that would be in the top 5 or 6 as well. 

Anything else I'm missing?  Granite Links, Stow Acres are definite NOs for me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:45:48 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
 I would add Waverly oaks.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 11:54:58 AM »
I would add Waverly oaks.

That's a great one...of the list above, I'd put WO at 6 or 7 just above Pinehills-Nicklaus.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
Dormie allows limited public play. They need the $$$

Just to end of 2019. Then strictly private.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Loh

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28:48 PM »
Just to end of 2019. Then strictly private.
[/size][/color]
 ;D

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
No Cantigny in Chicago area?  That is an omission IMO.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »
I see Baylands in Palo Alto debuted at #14 in CA, right behind Poppy Hills. The redesigned Corica south did not make the list. Did not enough people see it, or was it judged not to be top 30?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 07:41:42 PM »
I'm not sure that NY has changed in 20 years. Conklin Players Club is nothing special, yet there it sits in the top 10. They even have a closed course (Grossinger's) on there. Truthfully, the five courses at Bethpage are deserving of being in the top 15. There is a course near Syracuse called Green Lakes, which is better than some of the offal on this list.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
The dilemma has always been what constitutes "Courses You Can Play" — and should that include $500 green fee courses? Technically. But, I have advocated for a reasonable threshold on the green fee. To me, that would be $200 or below on one list, and $200 and above on another. Thrilled to see Baylands Golf Links make the list in California, regardless of its $50± green fee  :)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
Kris Spence did a great job at Mooresville GC just outside of Charlotte which is a very inexpensive muni.  Personally, I prefer UNC Finley and NC State Lonnie Poole over the Duke course.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
Mooresville front 9 is great. Back 9 is interesting for what it is, holes navigating between houses and roads.

But the whole complex is very cool. Good practice areas and a cool clubhouse. Awesome to see the town investing so much in the property.

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »

Is it?!?!
H.P.S.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »

Is it?!?!
IMHO yes I believe so.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back