News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Satterfield

Atunyote and Kaluhyat at Turning Stone
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
I'm playing at Turning Stone next month and would be curious to hear some thoughts on these courses.  Are they overrated or underrated in their standing as Top 100 Public tracks.  What are the pros and cons of the layout? 

John Blain

Re: Atunyote and Kaluhyat at Turning Stone
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
Bill-
I have played them both a number of times and they are two completely different golf courses. Atunyote is a Tom Fazio bulit on an expansive and nice piece of property a mile or so from the main "campus." It's fairly open, has sort of an Augusta type feel to it with attractive, bold bunkering and is pretty open off the tee. I am sure it will be in immaculate condition. Overall, I think you will enjoy playing there.
Kahluyat is a RTJ, Jr. design cut right out of the wetlands. It's generally speaking pretty tight with quite a few forced carries and for the most part a pretty difficult golf course. If you can finish with the same ball you started with then you've had a good day! It has 5 or 6 truly spectacular holes both visually and playing-wise. Unfortunately it also has 3-4 holes where you need to go from point A to point B and navigate your way through the wetlands and forced carries.The first few times I played there I wasn't a big fan of the course but it has grown on me over the years.
The PGA of America played the National Club Professional championship there last summer using both Kahluyat and Atunyote and the players overall seemed to like both courses.
Is it possible you could play Shenandoah instead of Kahluyat? If so, I would do that as Shenandoah, at least in my opinion, is the second best course on the property next to Atunyote.
Also, if you get a chance go play Sandstone Hollow. It's the Par 3 course right near the main property. It's a really fun, well designed course (Rick Smith) that is one of the best par 3 courses in the country.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Best,
John 

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Thanks John, I appreciate the insight.  I might try to get all three of them in, this is the time of the year where daylight allows that.

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
John is spot on including Sandstone Hallow. Atunyote may have the nicest practice area I've seen, Could spend hours there.

There were some recent significant changes to Shenendoah. From the web site:

Be among the first to experience Turning Stone’s new Shenendoah Golf Course! After an almost year-long redesign that resulted in seven new holes, the golf course has officially reopened.

No details other than that. Any one know who changed what?[
Integrity in the moment of choice

Sean Ogle

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »
Atunyote might have been the most surreal golf experience I've ever had. Immaculate practice area, incredible clubhouse, and quite possibly the nicest entry gate I've ever seen.

Total number of golfers the day I was there? Seven.

It was like a ghost town, and the whole place just had kind of an odd vibe.

Hands down one of the most well manicured courses I've ever seen, but frankly I thought the course itself was pretty boring. I literally can remember one hole off hand right now. And while it was interesting to play for the ghost town experience, I wasn't a fan of the course - and I generally like Fazio designs.

Kaluhyat on the other hand I thought at least had some interest and uniqueness. As John pointed out, there are a few holes where tee transfers are an issue, and it's definitely a course built for a cart. But I found the course to have interesting and enjoyable elevation changes, much better views than Atunyote, and was frankly, just more fun to play. Difficult sure, but no more so than many of the other courses referenced on this site.

Just my two cents, but personally, I'd play Kaluhyat over Atunyote. Didn't play Shenandoah though, so can't speak to that.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:03:48 AM »
Atunyote is the winner hands down followed by Shenandoah. I found the RTJ(Kaluhyat) to be a slog. I thoroughly enjoyed the Fazio course. That's right I said it!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »
For a resort course, which one might think would favor getting people around quickly and enjoyably (allowing them to shoot a decent score with some nice views along the way), Kaluhyat fails pretty badly.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:18:07 AM »
Bill:

I played the three courses at Turning Stone a few years ago and recall them all being solid (if unspectacular) courses.

If you have an extra day or even an extra afternoon, I'd seriously consider the hour drive down to Cooperstown to play Leatherstocking, which is terrific.

Jon Cavalier
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:05:15 AM »

If you have an extra day or even an extra afternoon, I'd seriously consider the hour drive down to Cooperstown to play Leatherstocking, which is terrific.

Jon Cavalier

I would go see Travis's Yahnundasis first as it's only 15 minutes away and every bit as good if not better than Leatherstocking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back