News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Park City--Best and Brightest
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »
On my annual PC tour of the high-end golf/RE offerings in this fab ski town.  A shiny new Nicklaus venue called Red Ledges is pretty darn good, but harder than marble, (149 slope from the blues) with greens that are still concrete.  Off to another infant tomorrow--Victory Ranch, a Rees Jones effort that opened this past weekend. 

Other faves include Glenwild (Fazio) and Promontory (a Nicklaus that's tough, and a Dye I really like) BUT--I played Mark O'Meara's Tuhaye today..really unappealing.  Long, mostly uphill, mostly uninspiring.  I remember I didn't care for it four years ago, and that sentiment was reaffirmed today with an encore visit.  Anyone been there?  Am I missing something, or is it yet another "Emperor's New Clothes" scenario?  Thanks for any input. 

Bill Satterfield

Re: Park City--Best and Brightest
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »
I don't love Tuhaye as much as some other people do so I'm with you there.  Just played Victory Ranch last Saturday and liked it a ton.  I'm going to post some pics - what were your thoughts there?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
On my annual PC tour of the high-end golf/RE offerings in this fab ski town.  A shiny new Nicklaus venue called Red Ledges is pretty darn good, but harder than marble, (149 slope from the blues) with greens that are still concrete.  Off to another infant tomorrow--Victory Ranch, a Rees Jones effort that opened this past weekend. 

Other faves include Glenwild (Fazio) and Promontory (a Nicklaus that's tough, and a Dye I really like) BUT--I played Mark O'Meara's Tuhaye today..really unappealing.  Long, mostly uphill, mostly uninspiring.  I remember I didn't care for it four years ago, and that sentiment was reaffirmed today with an encore visit.  Anyone been there?  Am I missing something, or is it yet another "Emperor's New Clothes" scenario?  Thanks for any input. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 06:42:17 PM »
As I was saying,  I haven't played the course but their members are delightful people. I hosted one of them a week ago and just today received a dozen of their logoed golf balls. She spoke highly of Victory Ranch.

Bob

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »
The issue for me about Victory Ranch is that the early holes are quite formulaic -- #1 downhill is quite entertaining, #2 is your basic H20 to the right of the green approach, #3 is a good par-5 hole, #4 is a good mid-length par-4  and tied very closely to the predictable look you see from other Rees Jones courses. The course really has a split personality -- the front is fairly routine but served well with mouth-opening views of the surrounding mountains. The back is where you get a far different presentation and hole challenge from Rees Jones.

It starts with the plunging par-4 10th (492 yards) and it never quits until you conclude the 520-yd par-4 closer that provides a stunning climax to the inner half. The last three holes are, from the Rees Jones courses I have played, among the best I have played.

Red Ledges does have hard greens -- as Joel indicated -- but they are not as hard as one can find at a US Open site -- just don't expect greens that will create balls marks that sink appreciably below the surface. The course has some of the best on-site scenery you can imagine -- but the routing simply includes a first rate combination of holes and styles. Hard to imagine such a grand site is that close to the heart of Heber City.There are dropshot holes (the opener is a gem) -- and the uphill holes (#9, #10 & #11) are quite fascinating because in the past Team Nicklaus has generally eschewed them. 

I agree with the previous comments mentioned on Tuyahe -- a fair layout but the bar within the greater Park City area has clearly moved beyond it.

One final comment -- hard to realize why Glenwild (Fazio) gets so little attention -- most be because of the short season and the opinion of others that little of high caliber course quality exists within UT.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
Which of the courses in/around Park City are reasonably walkable?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
Park City golf course, which is nothing to write home about is the closest.  But in general PC is a ski destination for being in the mountains and all!  ;D

You have to come over to the Salt Lake valley to find the walkable stuff, which most of it is...

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
Carl,

I'd say for Park City the walkable courses are Park Meadows CC and Glenwild.  Glenwild does have 2-3 fairly good hikes uphill between green and tee though. 

It was interesting reading the prior thread comments from a few years back.  Sadly, the greens at Red Ledges have not softened.  I'm not into a spongy green, but they are not receptive all all really, and the course is set up for aerial attack.  Utah in general does not have great golf, but there is some fun mountain golf.  Victory Ranch may have some of the best pure bent grass greens you'll find.

Here's my take:
Glenwild > Victory Ranch > Promontory Dye > Park Meadows > Tuhaye > Jeremy Ranch > Promontory Nicklaus > Red Ledges

If you are looking for mountain golf getaway try Jackson Hole:
Shooting Star > Snake River Sporting > Three Creek Ranch > Teton Pines > Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis and then you can head over the pass to the Idaho side.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »
I doubt this new course is walkable- Canyons Resort GC (Bates)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58656.msg1377934.html#msg1377934
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »
I doubt this new course is walkable- Canyons Resort GC (Bates)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58656.msg1377934.html#msg1377934

Its not.

I haven't played it, but have seen it a few times driving by it. A buddy of mine played it and said it was borderline absurd.  There is mountain golf and then there is this...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back