News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Fall Trip to Highlands/Cashiers NC Area
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
I'm planning to go with a couple golfing friends to the Highlands/Cashiers NC area in late September for 3-4 days of golf as my brother in law has a house there. I've looked through all the GCA.com archives for the area and see that the "top 3" seem to be Wade Hampton, Mountaintop and Highlands CC. All well and good, but I also see that access may be a problem as all are private. My question is, are there "next tier" courses worth playing in the area if those aren't available? I've seen some favorable comments about CC of Sapphire Valley  and also mentions of Lake Toxaway and Old Edwards GC, though they also appear to be "members only" or "resort guests and members only". The only truly public course I see that may be of interest is Sapphire National GC; regrettably (in addition to the pretentious name), it boasts of a waterfall and  island green on its website, which isn't very encouraging. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Also, we will be driving from the Atlanta airport to Cashiers and will probably try to play  a round en route. Appreciate any ideas for that as well.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom_Doak

Re: Fall Trip to Highlands/Cashiers NC Area
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
Better check when they close for the season, too.  I was traveling years ago from Michigan to Myrtle Beach, right at the peak of fall color season, so I thought I'd stop at Linville and play the course.  There was nobody in sight.  They'd aerified the greens, left the cores on them, and gone south for the winter!

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
Better check when they close for the season, too.  I was traveling years ago from Michigan to Myrtle Beach, right at the peak of fall color season, so I thought I'd stop at Linville and play the course.  There was nobody in sight.  They'd aerified the greens, left the cores on them, and gone south for the winter!

I was wondering about frost delays that time of year, but that would be worse...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »
I think that was the first of October, so you might get in under the wire.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
Brasstown Valley is a nice track and worth the detour.  Not walkable and a lot of forced carries, but a good track.  Not sure how you are getting there, but if you are driving from Atlanta you should stop at Achasta on your way - nice Nicklaus layout. 

hhuffines

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
We've played well into Oct. so you should be fine.  Sapphire Valley is a nice "old school" course that is a pleasant walk.  Biltmore Forest in Asheville is a great old Ross course if you can get on...  Champion Hills is always on Golf Digest's NC list but I'm not sure why.  The newer Player course, Cliffs at Mtn Park, is nearby too.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
Wade Hampton is getting ready to close for 9 months for a renovation. My source wasn't sure who was doing it (probably didn't care unfortunately).

It will be interesting to see the results.

-- Rob

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
Wade Hampton is getting ready to close for 9 months for a renovation. My source wasn't sure who was doing it (probably didn't care unfortunately).

-- Rob

They have closed. More of a rebuild greens to USGA spec and original shapes and regrassing greens, apps and rough. Tom Morzolf is overseeing the work.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »
Doug, another vote for Sapphire Valley. I have friends who are members if you need an introduction.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »
You will pass cateechee on your way up 85 to Cashiers.  www.cateechee.com     
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 06:06:21 AM »

They're regressing to Mini Verde, right now, too. Will be ready by fall.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 07:16:55 AM »

They're regressing to Mini Verde, right now, too. Will be ready by fall.

They got their first mowing today...new owner and I did not get a vote on which ultradwarf.   :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »

I was wondering about frost delays that time of year, but that would be worse...

Doug-No way do you have to worry about frost at the beginning of September in Cashiers. The average temperature for September is 67. If anything you can still experience hot temp towards 90. Enjoy!!!!

Robert Kimball

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »

-- Rob

They have closed. More of a rebuild greens to USGA spec and original shapes and regrassing greens, apps and rough. Tom Morzolf is overseeing the work.

Thanks Anthony, my friend just knew the course was closing for renovations. I'm hoping to get up there when Tom and company are done. Great stuff!

-- Rob

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »
I would play Trillium over Sapphire Valley. It used to be daily fee, but I don't know current status.

If Cateechee is out, Currahee is decent.
Raynor was a hack

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »

Had a good time playing Cateechee a few years ago.

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
I would play Trillium over Sapphire Valley. It used to be daily fee, but I don't know current status.

I was wondering about Trillium, as I understand it is very close to my brother in law's place.

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions!

John_Cullum

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
Sapphire Valley is very much a valley. The course is pretty flat, especially so for that area. Trillium is more like traditional N Carolina Mountain golf. It's mountainous and has some nice views. It's more difficult than Sapphire, and you'll lose more golf balls, but I think you'll enjoy it more. I might be up there around that time. My wife has been bugging me to go to the mountains sooner rather than later.
Raynor was a hack

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »
I really enjoyed Balsam Mountain Preserve.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back